The Cook County State’s Attorney charged Savannah Scott, 23, of Chicago, with aggravated fleeing and eluding plus several misdemeanor charges after she led North Riverside and Lyons police on a high-speed chase west on 26th Street and south on First Avenue on May 9 around 4:05 p.m.

The chase started on 26th Street near Veterans Park, when Scott’s gold Ford Focus allegedly cut off a North Riverside squad car, which had to brake to avoid a crash. The North Riverside officer ended the pursuit at Desplaines Avenue when the Ford reportedly blew through a red light and turned south on First Avenue.

Shortly afterward a witness called police to report someone apparently hiding in the bushes in front of Riverside-Brookfield High School. That person turned out to be a 23-year-old man who had been a passenger in the Ford and bailed out at the first opportunity.

Police located that man and while they were interviewing him, Scott reportedly called his cellphone. She hung up after a North Riverside officer told her to stop attempting to flee from Lyons police who spotted the Ford.

North Riverside police entered the vehicle as wanted for felonious fleeing/eluding, and Chicago police on May 14 impounded the Ford, when they found it parked in the 4600 block of South Drexel Ave.

Scott on May 15 visited the North Riverside Police Department in an attempt to bond out the vehicle, which by then had been towed back out to the suburbs. She was arrested and reportedly admitted being at the wheel, fleeing police on May 9.

Garage burglary

Brookfield police responded to the 3900 block of Sunnyside Avenue on May 12 after a resident called to report that someone had broken into his garage within the past two days.

According to the police report, the garage was unlocked. Various storage boxes appeared to have been rifled through. The only item missing was a black rubber storage box with a yellow lid that contained various antique toys.

Vehicle break-in

A 39-year-old Bridgeview man called police on May 14 at about 4:30 p.m. to report that he had returned to his work van, which was parked in the lot at the Loyola Medical office building at 3722 Harlem Ave. and found that that someone had removed several items from the unlocked vehicle.

The victim said he parked the vehicle in the lot at about 2:30 p.m. Missing from the van were an Apple iPad Pro tablet, a flashlight and some ibuprofen.

Handgun found next to bike path

Riverside police responded to the Zoo Woods Forest Preserve property in the 3500 block of First Avenue on May 15 at about 6:45 p.m. after a man walking along the bike path reported finding a loaded 9 mm handgun in plain view in the grassy area next to the path.

An officer recovered the pistol and cleared a 9 mm round from the chamber. The police report identified the gun as a Taurus Armas firearm. That’s a different model than the 9 mm gun reported missing on May 1 by someone riding his bike through Riverside. It is unknown whether that gun has been recovered.

Public indecency

North Riverside police charged a 29-year-old Berwyn man with public indecency and cited him for other offenses after a 36-year-old woman called 911 to report a man masturbating inside a vehicle parked in the lot at Aldi, 2000 S. Harlem Ave. on May 12 at around 2:50 p.m.

DUI charge after crash

North Riverside police charged a 42-year-old Oak Brook man with driving under the influence on May 9 after an officer observed his unoccupied and heavily damaged blue Ford blocking the driveway to the commercial building at 7222 Cermak Road at about 1:40 a.m.

While inspecting the vehicle, the officer noticed a man walking across the street from Chick-fil-A. According to police, the man confirmed he owned the Ford and eventually stated he had been at an establishment in McCook and was driving northbound on Harlem Avenue when his vehicle struck a pole.

Police later reported finding two street signs lying on the raised median along with other debris in the 2500 block of Harlem Avenue. Later in custody, the man reportedly submitted to a breath test that revealed his blood-alcohol content to be .156, which is nearly twice the legal limit of .08.

These items were obtained from police reports filed by the Riverside, North Riverside and Brookfield police departments, May 9-16 and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Unless otherwise indicated, anybody named in these reports has only been charged with a crime. These cases have not been adjudicated.

— Compiled by Bob Uphues