Jurassic Park meets Ehlert Park
Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library invites families to explore the world of Jurassic Park while making new friends and playing with imagination and storytelling during “Step into the Pages of Jurassic Park” on Thursday, July 29 at 1 p.m. at Ehlert Park, 4338 Congress Park Ave., in Brookfield.
Call 708-485-6917, ext. 130 or visit the Brookfield library’s online events calendar to register.
Family Campout in North Riverside
Enjoy a movie in the park and then sleep under the stars during North Riverside Park and Rec’s Family Campout on Aug. 6-7 from 6:30 p.m. to 9 a.m. at Veterans Park, 7550 26th St.
Bring your family, a tent and sleeping bags and watch a family friendly flick while enjoying a special snack and playing games. Breakfast will be provided.
The cost is $25 per campsite and registration is required by calling 708-442-5515 or visiting online.
Riverside Library Friend Shop book drive
Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, is back open to the public and is ready to reopen its Friend Shop of second-hand books, but they need your help to do so.
In order to restock the book sale shelves, the library needs your donations, which they hope to jumpstart during a special Friend Shop Book Drive on Saturday, July 31 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
They will accept books, music and audio book CDs and DVD/Blu-Ray movies that are in good condition (no damaged, moldy, musty items accepted). Textbooks, encyclopedias, newspapers, magazine, VHS tapes or computer software will not be accepted.
All proceeds from book sales support Riverside Public Library programs, events and special projects.
Guitarra Azul spices up your Friday
Brookfield Parks and Rec continues its summer outdoor concert series on Friday, July 30 with a performance by Guitarra Azul and their exciting mix of Rumba Flamenco, Latin jazz and world music.
Concerts are held at the band shell in Kiwanis Park, 8820 Brookfield Ave. Beer and wine will be available for purchase.
Cancellations due to inclement weather will be made at 3 p.m. on concert day.
Kids’ movie in person at Brookfield Library
Movies for kids are back at the Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., on Wednesday, Aug. 4 at 3 p.m. in the library’s lower-level meeting room.
Next week’s movie offering will be “Fantastic Mr. Fox,” the 2009 animated film featuring the voice talents of Meryl Streep and George Clooney. Snacks provided. Masks required.
Register by calling 708-485-6917, ext. 140 or visiting the Brookfield library’s online events calendar.
- The Frederick Law Olmsted Society and village of Riverside will host their next Landscape Workday on Saturday, July 31 from 9 a.m. to noon at Scottswood Common. RSVP required at least 24 hours in advance by emailing to firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 708-447-0226. Wear a face covering and bring work gloves and a water bottle. All other supplies and snacks provided. Look for the public works dump truck.
- Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., presents its annual RAC Members Show in the Freeark Gallery and “From Here to There: Young Adult and Teen Volunteers” in the FlexSpace Gallery through July 31. Admission is free. RAC is open Thursday through Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m. Walk-ins welcome.
- The Riverside Farmers Market continues every Wednesday from 2:30 to 7 p.m. at Centennial Park, 10 Pine Ave., in downtown Riverside. Social distancing encouraged. Face coverings are required for those who are not vaccinated and no pets are allowed.
- The Brookfield Farmers Market continues every Saturday, from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Brookfield Village Hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave. for locally sourced fruits, vegetables, meats, cheeses, baked goods and artisan ware. Live music and a picnic area. Social distancing is encouraged and face coverings are required for non-vaccinated guests.
- North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., invites adults can get a Wits Workout Grab and Go Bag with new puzzles to keep your mind sharp every week of the summer. There’s also the Practicing Henna via Zoom on July 29 at 6:30 p.m. (advanced registration required/supplies provided) and Stretching and Meditation via conference call (800-747-5150, code 1453322) on Aug. 1 at 6:30 p.m.
For kids, there’s ABCs & 123s in the Parks (location will be emailed no later than Sunday) on Aug. 1 at 10:30 a.m.; Story Safari in the Great Outdoors in the library’s outdoor space or via Zoom on Aug. 2 at 10:30 a.m.
Visit the North Riverside library’s online events calendar for more info.
- Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., offers virtual classes and programs for patrons of all ages throughout the week. Most youth activities will be presented live on the library’s Facebook page.
For adults, there’s Chair Yoga via Zoom on July 29 at 11 a.m. and an in-person program, Senior Medicare Patrol Basics, on Aug. 4 at 11 a.m.
Call 708-485-6917, ext. 130 or visit the Brookfield library’s online events calendar to register for programs.
- Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, invites kids to Friday Outdoor Storytime on July 30 at 10 a.m. Kids in grades 6-12 can play Jackbox games on Zoom on July 29 at 2 p.m.
Adults can join the folks from Riverside Community Garden for “Canning 202: Pickles, Sauces and Other Water-Bath Favorites” via Zoom on July 29 at 7 p.m.
Visit the Riverside library’s online events calendar for more info.
- Riverside Chess Club, open to anyone age 5 through adult, meets in person each Wednesday through Aug. 25 at 6:45 p.m. in the Community Room of the Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road. Players of all levels welcome. Children under 7 require caregiver over 13. Registration required. Visit the Riverside library’s online events calendar.