Riverside police equipped with ballistic shields responded to an apartment inside the Tower Building, 22 East Ave., on the afternoon of July 27 after a 29-year-old man called to report that a 38-year-old female resident of the building was being held against her will by the woman’s ex-boyfriend, who was armed with a gun.

The 911 caller told police that he had stayed overnight at the woman’s apartment but had left in the morning. He later returned when the woman requested he bring food and drinks to the apartment.

She reportedly invited the man up to her apartment, but while he was in the hallway he heard the woman yell from inside the apartment that he needed to leave because her ex-boyfriend was going to kill him. The man told police he heard what he believed to be a handgun racking, so he fled and called police.

Police descended on the building and after trying to call the woman on her cellphone and unsuccessfully pinging her phone, they used a drone to try and see inside the second-floor apartment windows, without success.

At that time, with guns drawn and ballistic shields deployed, police knocked on the door twice and announced their presence before the woman opened the door and told them no one else was inside. Police searched the apartment to confirm no other person or weapon was in view. The woman did not appear to be harmed and after being evaluated by paramedics, she signed a medical treatment refusal form and police departed the building.

Computer fraud

A 64-year-old Brookfield man went to police on July 30 to report he was the victim of computer fraud involving someone posing as a technical services rep from a big box electronics retailer.

The victim told police he was sharing his computer screen with someone who identified himself as a member of the Geek Squad, which troubleshoots computer problems for customers of Best Buy.

The individual told the victim he needed to install something valued at $14,000 to fix the victim’s computer and instructed the victim to buy $1,400 in gift cards and then provide him with the redemption codes.

The victim did as instructed, as which time the purported troubleshooter told the victim he needed more money to fix the computer. At that time, the victim went directly to a Best Buy store, where he was informed he’d been defrauded.

Vehicle break-in

A resident of the 4100 block of Park Avenue, Brookfield, contacted police on the morning of July 31 to report that during the overnight hours someone had entered his vehicle and ransacked it, removing a small amount of loose change.

Police subsequently learned via social media that someone had confronted an unknown man seen walking down the block at about 1:30 a.m. pulling on vehicle door handles. After the witness yelled at the man, he ran away, jumping a neighbor’s fence.

Catalytic converter stolen in Brookfield

For the fourth time since late June someone has removed a catalytic converter from a Toyota in Brookfield, and the third identifying the model as a Toyota Prius.

On July 27, police responded to the 4400 block of Raymond Avenue after a resident called to report that someone had sawn off the catalytic converter of her 2005 Toyota Prius during the overnight hours of July 25-26.

Toyota Priuses appear to be particularly popular with catalytic converter thieves. The expensive to repair items were removed from Priuses in Brookfield on June 29 and July 8. The model of the Toyota targeted in Brookfield on July 16 was not specified by police.

Aggravated speeding

A 26-year-old Chicago woman who was pulled over for allegedly speeding at 70 mph while southbound on Harlem Avenue at about 1:20 a.m. on July 29, also was charged with drunken driving when tests revealed her blood-alcohol content to be .204, which is nearly three times the legal limit of .08.

An officer pulled the woman’s blue Hyundai over in the parking lot of the Amstar gas station, 3346 Harlem Ave., and reported finding several empty beer cans in the vehicle along with a receipt from a Berwyn sports bar from July 28 at 11:24 p.m.

North Riverside police charged a 22-year-old Chicago man with aggravated speeding after an officer on patrol reported observing a silver Chevy westbound in the 7600 block of 26th Street traveling at 69 mph in a 35 mph zone on July 24 at about 10:05 p.m.

The driver reportedly told the officer he was driving so fast because he needed to use the restroom. After arresting the driver, the officer brought the man to the police station for processing and reportedly asked whether he needed to use the restroom. The man declined.

A North Riverside police officer was on patrol in the 1800 block of Harlem Avenue when a gray GMC SUV passed him, going in the same direction at a high rate of speed on July 24 at 11:42 p.m. The officer reported the GMC’s speed at 64 mph in a 35 mph zone.

Police pulled over the vehicle and arrested the driver, a 29-year-old Chicago man, and charged him with aggravated speeding. The vehicle was turned over to a passenger who was in the vehicle at the time of the stop.

A 20-year-old Chicago man faces an aggravated speeding charge after a North Riverside police officer reported clocking the man’s gray Nissan Juke traveling at 62 mph while westbound in the 7500 block of 26th Street, which is a 35 mph zone, on July 25 at about 12:55 a.m.

The officer stopped the vehicle and arrested the driver, who was charged with the speeding offense and cited for having no proof of insurance.

These items were obtained from police reports filed by the Riverside, North Riverside and Brookfield police departments, July 24-Aug. 1 and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Unless otherwise indicated, anybody named in these reports has only been charged with a crime. These cases have not been adjudicated.

— Compiled by Bob Uphues