Mr. Molecule Science Show at the mall
North Riverside Park Mall, 7501 Cermak Road, invites kids in grades K-8 to their next Kids Club event, Mr. Molecule’s Bing Bang Boom Science Show, on Saturday, Aug. 14 from 9 to 10 a.m. in the mall’s food court.
See science come alive when Mr. Molecule unleashes the power and excitement of science right before your eyes. Doors open at 8:30 a.m. The first 100 kids will receive a dinosaur egg squeeze toy.
Free. All attendees must wear face masks.
‘Freaky Friday’ on Friday the 13th
North Riverside Parks and Rec invites families to join them for a free outdoor movie in the park at the North riverside Village Commons, 2401 Desplaines Ave., on Friday, Aug. 13.
Bring a chair or blanket and kick back and enjoy the movie “Freaky Friday,” which begins at 8:30 p.m. Concessions will be available. All current COVID guidelines will be followed.
Riv-inia with a touch of Vegas
Riverside Parks and Rec invites you to have a swinging time at Riv-inia, a free outdoor concert on Friday, Aug. 13 from 7 to 9 p.m. in Guthrie Park, Riverside and Bloomingbank roads in downtown Riverside.
This year’s concert features Nick@Knight, where Nick Pontarelli and Gina Knight put a transcendent twist on the nostalgic Vegas “lounge act” delivering an energetic sampling of the American songbook, ’60s and ’70s hits, tributes to the greats and R&B classics.
Blood drive in North Riverside
The North Riverside Firefighters Union Local 2714, the village North Riverside, North Riverside Police Union PBPA Lodge 73 and Oak Park Firefighters Union Local 95 will host a blood drive on Wednesday, Aug. 11 from 2 to 8 p.m. in the gymnasium of the North Riverside Village Commons, 2401 Desplaines Ave.
The blood drive is being handled by Vitalant. Appointments are recommended but walk-ins are welcome.
For more info or to schedule a donation call 877-258-4825 or visit vitalant.org and use group code 960C.
Brookfield concert in the park
Brookfield Parks and Rec continues its summer outdoor concert series on Friday, Aug. 13 from 7 to 8:30 p.m., presenting the rocking modern country sounds of In the Stix.
Concerts are held at the band shell in Kiwanis Park, 8820 Brookfield Ave. Beer and wine will be available for purchase.
Cancellations due to inclement weather will be made at 3 p.m. on concert day.
- The Riverside Farmers Market continues every Wednesday from 2:30 to 7 p.m. at Centennial Park, 10 Pine Ave., in downtown Riverside. Social distancing encouraged. Face coverings are required for those who are not vaccinated and no pets are allowed.
- The Brookfield Farmers Market continues every Saturday, from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Brookfield Village Hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave. for locally sourced fruits, vegetables, meats, cheeses, baked goods and artisan ware. Live music and a picnic area. Social distancing is encouraged and face coverings are required for non-vaccinated guests.
- North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., invites adults to Storm Chasing 101 via Zoom on Aug. 12 at 6:30 p.m. There’s also Crafternoons: Custom House Sign via Zoom on Aug. 14 at 1:30 p.m. and Stretching and Meditation via conference call (800-747-5150, code 1453322) on Aug. 16 at 6:30 p.m.
- Kids in grades 6-12 can play the Jackbox game Earwax at the library on Aug. 14 at 3 p.m.
Visit the library’s online events calendar for more info.
- Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., offers virtual classes and programs for patrons of all ages throughout the week. Most youth activities will be presented live on the library’s Facebook page.
For adults/seniors, there’s Chair Yoga via Zoom on Aug. 12 at 11 a.m. and Walk and Talk with Laona in Kiwanis Park, 8820 Brookfield Ave. (meet at the pavilion), on Aug. 17 at 9:30 a.m. Topics change weekly. Presented by Laona Fleischer.
Kids can join Miss Carlee in the Storytime Room on Aug. 12 at 1 p.m. for a new role-playing adventure, Step into the Page of Harry Potter.
Call 708-485-6917, ext. 130 or visit the Brookfield library’s online events calendar to register for programs.
- Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, invites kids to Friday Outdoor Storytime on Aug. 13 at 10 a.m. Visit riversidelibrary.libcal.com/calendar more info.
- Riverside Chess Club, open to anyone age 5 through adult, meets in person each Wednesday through Aug. 25 at 6:45 p.m. in the Community Room of the Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road. Players of all levels welcome. Children under 7 require caregiver over 13. Registration required. Visit the library’s online events calendar.
- The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo the second Sunday of every month. Doors open at 1 p.m. and games start at 2 p.m. with cash payouts. Next bingo night is Aug. 8.