North Riverside police say they intend to charge a 22-year-old Stickney man with aggravated fleeing and eluding after leading officers on a high-speed chase at speeds topping 100 mph during the early morning hours of Aug. 5.

At about 1:45 a.m., a Riverside police office radioed dispatchers to report a black Jeep Grand Cherokee traveling in excess of 100 mph while northbound on Harlem Avenue from 26th Street. The Jeep turned west on Cermak Road, then south on Lathrop and west on 23rd Street where it reportedly sped head-on towards a North Riverside police squad car before swerving around it at Keystone Avenue and then heading north on Desplaines.

The pursuit continued in that area until an officer spotted the Jeep in the alley behind the 7900 block of Cermak Road and recorded the vehicle’s license plates. The Jeep then sped off again northbound on Desplaines Avenue and then west on Cermak before reportedly blowing the red light at First Avenue and turning right, where the pursuit ended.

The vehicle was registered to a Stickney address and police found the Jeep parked there. A woman identifying herself as the wanted man’s girlfriend reportedly told police the Jeep hadn’t moved from the spot all night, but said she’d go inside and get her boyfriend. However, she never returned and police were unable to contact either of them.

Police attempted to tow the vehicle, which was behind an unlocked fence but called that off when the tow truck driver said it would be impossible to remove the vehicle without causing property damage. Police reported that the 22-year-old man was also wanted by North Riverside police in connection with a hit-and-run incident in March.

Mall kiosk burglarized

A salesperson at Royal Prestige, a kiosk in one of the common concourses of the North Riverside Park Mall, 7501 Cermak Road, called police on the morning of Aug. 6 to report that four items totaling $1,460 were missing from the business.

The employee said he discovered the missing items while doing a morning inventory prior to opening for business that day. The items had been accounted for at the close of business on Aug. 5, according to the employee.

Package stolen in Brookfield

A resident of the 4400 block of Raymond Avenue, Brookfield, reported to police on Aug. 3 that on July 31 between the hours of 2:30 and 6:30 p.m., someone removed the contents of a package that had been delivered to her house.

When she arrived home several hours after the delivery was made, the box was open and the wood Louisville Slugger baseball bat inside it, valued at $40, was missing.

Two injured in crash

Two people sustained injuries in a crash at Prairie Avenue and 31st Street on the evening of Aug. 7 that also resulted in the destruction of a traffic signal box on the southeast corner of the intersection.

According to the police report, a blue Buick driven by a 34-year-old Brookfield woman was turning left from westbound 31st Street onto southbound Prairie Avenue when it collided with a blue Chevy driven by a 26-year-old Chicago man which was eastbound on 31st Street in the curb lane.

The impact of the crash sent the Chevy into the traffic control box on the southeast corner, knocking it over and disabling the traffic signals at the intersection. A witness told police he pulled the driver of the Chevy from his vehicle because the engine began smoking.

The man was on the parkway being tended to by several bystanders when police arrived. He sustained a concussion and sprains in the crash, according to the police report. Police reported that the woman driving the Buick also was injured but did not elaborate on the extent of those injuries.

It was unclear from the police report whether police issued any citations.

These items were obtained from police reports filed by the Riverside, North Riverside and Brookfield police departments, Aug. 2-8 and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Unless otherwise indicated, anybody named in these reports has only been charged with a crime. These cases have not been adjudicated.

— Compiled by Bob Uphues