Santa at North Riverside Mall
Visit Santa Claus at his workshop in the lower level center court of North Riverside Park Mall, 7501 Cermak Road, through Christmas Eve on the following dates: Nov. 13-14 and 20-21 from noon to 6 p.m.; Nov. 26-27 from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.; Nov. 28 from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Dec. 1-17 from noon to 7 p.m.; Dec. 18-23 from noon to 8 p.m.; and Dec. 24 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Visits with Santa are free, photo packages starting at $25 are available for purchase. Visit the mall’s Facebook page for more.
‘It’s a Wonderful Life’ pop-up bar
Take a trip to Bedford Falls for a flaming rum punch and benefit BEDS Plus at the “It’s a Wonderful Life” pop-up bar at Joe’s Saloon, 9220 47th St. in Brookfield on Friday, Dec. 3 and Saturday, Dec. 4 from 7 to 11 p.m.
The folks at Compassion United Methodist Church will turn Joe’s Saloon into Martini’s and Nick’s, so come dressed as your favorite character and enjoy movie reenactments, Clarence’s signature drink, raffles and more.
Ticket sales ($60 per person/limit 4) have opened online at tinyurl.com/kyfjsb78 but are limited to 150 per night. Ticket price includes light snacks and full open bar. If available, tickets at the door will cost $75.
If you can’t make it in person, you can still participate in the raffles for cash prizes. Just 1,200 raffle tickets will be sold. Purchase raffle tickets ($20 each) online at tinyurl.com/mz53awp4.
Stockings for troops and vets
Kuratko-Nosek Funeral Home, 2447 Desplaines Ave. in North Riverside, invites you to send troops and local veterans a taste of home for the holidays by participating in their Christmas Stockings for Soldiers & Veterans drive through Dec. 17.
Stop in at the funeral home Monday through Saturday between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. and pick up a free stocking to take home, decorate and stuff with Christmas cheer (you’ll receive a list of recommended items). Bring the filled stocking back, and Kuratko-Nosek will ship or deliver them (and also any old cellphones you may wish to donate) to troops abroad and veterans at home.
Call 708-447-2500 with questions.
Early Hitchcock thriller at Brookfield library
The Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., invites you to join the library’s movie expert, Marty Blank, for a screening of Alfred Hitchcock’s 1929 film “Blackmail” — his first “talkie” — during Movies with Marty, an in-person program on Saturday, Nov. 20 at 1 p.m.
Register to attend at 708-485-6917, ext. 130 or at brookfield.evanced.info/signup.
Relive classic radio shows
The Riverside Township Radio Players will perform two classic comedies from the Golden Age of Radio during their next free in-person show on Friday, Nov. 19 at 7:30 p.m. in the auditorium of the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road.
The troupe will recreate a 1939 episode from the Jack Benny Program where the gang spoofs the movie “The Women” and the 1947 episode “Thanksgiving with the Gillises” from “The Life of Riley.” Masks required for all attending.
Visit riversidetownshipradioplayers.com for more.
Get your holiday photos at the library
Have your holiday photos professionally taken in the winter wonderland at North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., during one of three sessions on Nov. 18 and Nov. 19 from 5 to 8 p.m. and Nov. 20 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Register online at northriversidelibrary.org/events-new or by calling 708-447-0869. A $20 donation is encouraged, and all proceeds go directly toward library programming, technology and other needs.
- Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., presents the exhibition “Portable Memorials and Abject Objects” featuring the work of Rebecca Keller in the Freeark Gallery through Nov. 27. The FlexSpace Gallery hosts “Proposals and Speculations” featuring the work of Shir Ende and Lancer Livermont through Nov. 20. Gallery hours are Thurs.-Sat. 1-5 p.m. Visit riversideartscenter.com for more.
- The Brookfield Chamber of Commerce continues its 60-to-Win raffle drawings every Thursday through Nov. 18 at 4:30 p.m. at Joe’s Saloon, 9220 47th St. in Brookfield. You can also watch a livestream on the Brookfield Chamber of Commerce Facebook page (facebook.com/BrookfieldIllinois). Winners’ names will be posted each week at brookfieldchamber.net.
- Riverside Arts Center presents “Porcelain Utopia: Mid-Century Lustron Homes in Illinois and Beyond,” an exhibit of photographs by Dirk Fletcher in the lobby of the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road, through Dec. 31. Free. Open Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., invites you to explore your family tree by visiting their Ancestry Help Desk every Friday from 2 to 6 p.m. through November. There’s also Club de Lectura en Espanol on Nov. 19 at 10:30 a.m. and Mary’s Monthly Movie featuring the 1942 classic “Mrs. Miniver” on Nov. 23 at 2 p.m.
Kids ages 4-up can choose either in-person or Zoom attendance for Lapsit Storytime on Nov. 18 at 10:30 a.m.; After School Art Escape (in person only) on Nov. 18 at 3:30 p.m.; Learn with Lester the Llama on Nov. 20 at 10:30 a.m.; ABCs and 123s on Nov. 22 at 10:30 a.m.; Story Safari on Nov. 24 at 10:30 a.m.; and Builders Club (Zoom only) on Nov. 24 at 4 p.m.
Kids in grades 6-12 can make paper animals in the Teen Spot on Nov. 20 at 1:30 p.m.
Register for programs at northriversidelibrary.org/events-new.
- Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., invites you to Chair Yoga via Zoom on Nov. 18 and 24 at 11 a.m. and to drop by the Maker Studio anytime on Nov. 19 for Thanksgiving Card Making (supplies provided). On Nov. 20 at 1 p.m. via Zoom cartoonist Mark Anderson teaches kids how to draw their favorite foods in hilarious situations during Andertoons: Turkey Toons. Visit brookfield.evanced.info/signup to register for programs.
- Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, presents an Armchair Tour of St. Petersburg by Olga Cardamone on Nov. 18 at 7 p.m. via Zoom. Visit the Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood, the Hermitage and St. Isaac’s Cathedral.
There’s also Friday Flix for teens in the Teen Room on Nov. 19 at 3:30 p.m.; a Card and Drawing Workshop for residents of Cantata on Nov. 21 at 12:30 p.m.; Mini-Movers Storytime in the Community Room on Nov. 22 at 9:30 a.m., 1:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m.; and Preschool/Kindergarten Storytime on Nov. 23 at 9:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Registration required.
Visit riversidelibrary.libcal.com/calendar to register for programs.
- Riverside Chess Club, open to anyone age 5 through adult, meets in person each Wednesday at 5 p.m. in Room 30 of the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road. Players of all levels welcome. Children under 7 require caregiver over 13. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
- The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo the second Sunday of every month. Doors open at 1 p.m. and games start at 2 p.m. with cash payouts. Next bingo night is Dec. 12.