Library’s Family Pajama Extravaganza at Brookfield Village Hall
ALERT: NEW LOCATION!
Break out your most festive pajamas and face masks as the Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library celebrates 20 years of holiday stories during its annual Holiday Family Pajama Extravaganza on Friday, Dec. 17 at 6:30 p.m. at the Brookfield Village Hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave. The event had been planned for the library, but a plumbing issue has temporarily closed that building to visitors.
Started as a simple affair featuring stories and crafts, the event has evolved into an after-hours bash with stories, crafts, music, cookies, cocoa and even Santa. To commemorate the 20th anniversary of the event, each family registered will receive a special edition snowflake ornament.
The event is free, but registration is required. Call 708-485-6917, ext. 140 or visit the Brookfield library’s online events calendar.
Vintage holiday treats
Riverside Public Library invites you to join cookbook collector Amy Alessio as she talks about favorite holiday treats from the past during “Vintage Holiday Cookies and Candies,” a Zoom program on Thursday, Dec. 16 at 7 p.m.
Alessio’s humorous, nostalgic program also includes recipes so you can create our own vintage holiday sweets. Register by visiting the Riverside library’s online event calendar and an event URL will be sent to you via email.
Holly-Day Camp in North Riverside
North Riverside Parks and Rec offers families a way to kick cabin fever during the school break by inviting kids ages 4-12 to their Holly-Day Camp on Dec. 20-23 and Dec. 27-30 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Village Commons, 2401 Desplaines Ave.
Kids will enjoy sports, games, arts and crafts, treats and music. There will also be outdoor activities, so plan accordingly. Register for one or more dates at $25 per day ($27 non-resident). Before/after camp available (7:30-9 a.m./3-6 p.m.) for $10 per day.
Radio Players host annual Christmas performance
Riverside Township Radio Players present their annual Christmas show on Friday, Dec. 17 at 7:30 p.m., performing two shows from Radio’s Golden Age in the auditorium of the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road, Riverside.
The troupe will recreate the “Suspense” episode “Twas the Night Before Christmas” and “Christmas Shopping” from the family comedy show “Archie Andrews.”
Free. Masks required for all in attendance. For more, visit riversidetownshipradioplayers.com.
Let the library Friends wrap your gifts
Brookfield Friends of the Library invite you to leave the present wrapping to them while you browse the collection or look for a gift in the Book Nook of the Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., during the FOL Gift Wrap on Saturday, Dec. 18 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Just drop in with your gifts and the Friends will provide the wrapping paper, bows, gift tags – and the all-important wrapping – free of charge. Any monetary donations will support Friends’ initiatives.
- Brookfield Zoo’s 40th Annual Holiday Magic festival of lights continues through the end of the year on the following dates: Dec. 15-19 and 26-31 from 3 to 9 p.m. each day. Reserved-time admission (available in 20-minute increments) and parking tickets must be purchased online prior to arrival. Visit CZS.org/OnlineTicketing.
- Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., welcomes visitors to enjoy the exhibitions “Messengers” featuring the art of Liz Chilsen and “Obstacles and Intimacies” by Stephanie Brooks, which continue through Jan. 8, and “Vessels,” featuring the art of Tulika Ladsariya, Melissa Zeigler Monroe and Shawn Vincent, which continues through Dec. 31. Gallery hours: Thurs.-Sat. from 1 to 5 p.m. or by appointment.
- Riverside Parks and Recreation invites kids to write letters to Santa and place them in a special mailbox that’s been located on the east side of the historic water tower, 10 Pine Ave. Letters received by Dec. 18 will get a note back from Santa.
- Visit Santa Claus in the lower level center court of North Riverside Park Mall, 7501 Cermak Road, through Christmas Eve on the following dates: Dec. 15-17 from noon to 7 p.m.; Dec. 18-23 from noon to 8 p.m.; and Dec. 24 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Visits are free, photo packages available for purchase.
- North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., invites you to Crafterdarks: Pine Cone Trees in-person on Dec. 16 at 6 p.m.; Quilt Block of the Month Make-and-Take kits available Dec. 20-26; and Stretching and Meditation via conference call (800-747-5150, code 1453322) on Dec. 20 at 6:30 p.m.
Kids ages 4-up can choose either in-person or Zoom attendance for Lapsit Storytime on Dec. 16 at 10:30 a.m.; After School Art Escape on Dec. 16 at 3:30 p.m.; and Learn with Lester the Llama (in-person only) on Dec. 18 at 10:30 a.m.
Register for programs at the North Riverside library’s online event calendar.
- Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., invites you to Chair Yoga via Zoom on Dec. 16 at 11 a.m.; Ornament Making in the Maker Studio on Dec. 16 at 6 p.m.; and a Friends of the Library Writers’ Workshop in Meeting Room 2 on Dec. 20 at 7 p.m. New members welcome. Visit brookfield.evanced.info/signup to register for programs.
- Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, will pass out RB Finals Brain Break Kits, treats high school students can pick up and take home Dec. 15-16 at the CYS desk.
For kids there’s Holiday Storytime in the Community Room on Dec. 16 at 9:30 a.m. and Friday Flix for teens on Dec. 17 at 3:30 p.m. Registration required.
Visit the Riverside library’s online event calendar to register for programs.
- Riverside Chess Club, open to anyone age 5 through adult, meets in person each Wednesday at 5 p.m. in Room 30 of the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road. Players of all levels welcome. Children under 7 require caregiver over 13. Email email@example.com for more info.
- Through March 25, 2022 the Lyons Township High School South Campus Fieldhouse indoor track, 4900 S. Willow Springs Road in Western Springs, will be open to the public from 6 to 7 a.m. on days LTHS is in session. There is no admission charge or fee to use the track. Please bring an ID and be prepared to sign in.
- The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo the second Sunday of every month. Doors open at 1 p.m. and games start at 2 p.m. with cash payouts.