New shows at RAC
Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., hosts opening receptions on Jan. 16 from 3 to 6 p.m. for a pair of new exhibits.
In the Freeark Gallery is “Muse,” an exhibition of photography and costumes by Niki Grangruth and James Kinser, which continues through Feb. 19. The photos explore gender identity by reimagining and reinterpreting well-known paintings of female subjects from art history.
The FlexSpace Gallery features “The Bigger the Fear and Despair …” a two-person show featuring the work of Mayumi Lake and Stacia Yeapanis. Each artist reflects upon personal experiences through colorful assemblages and installations.
Proof of vaccine required. Gallery hours are Thursday-Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m.
Take a trip back in time
Riverside Public Library invites you to travel back a half century and relive the events of those times during “50 Years Ago: 1972” an online program presented by Evan Weiner on Tuesday, Jan. 18 at 7 p.m.
The break-in at the Watergate hotel and office complex in Washington, D.C., sows the seeds of a president’s downfall, Nixon goes to China, 11 Israeli athletes are kidnapped and killed at Summer Olympics in Munich and the Vietnam War is nearing the end.
Register to attend this virtual event at the library’s online events calendar. A URL will be sent via registration email.
Think you know Chicago? North Riverside Public Library invites you to join author Jessica Mlinaric and test your knowledge during “Secret Trivia Chicago,” a virtual program on Thursday, Jan. 13 at 7 p.m.
Did you know there’s a grave in a Chicago junkyard or a pool under the Loop? Learn about some of Chicago’s most obscure surprises.
Register in person at the reference desk. By calling 708-447-0869 or at the library’s online events calendar.
Make a MLK Quote Canvas
To mark Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day, swing by the Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., pick up a free supply kit and then join the library on Monday, Jan. 17 at 5 p.m. on Facebook Live (facebook.com/LSFBrookfieldLibrary) to learn to make an MLK Quote Canvas.
Kits are available while supplies last. For more information, call 708-485-6917, ext. 130 or visit online.
Bingo at Brookfield Elks
The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St. in Brookfield, will host its next monthly Sunday bingo night on Jan. 16.
Doors open at 1 p.m. and games start at 2 p.m. with cash payouts.
- Riverside American Legion Post 488 invites the public to join them on Friday, Jan. 14 at 6:15 p.m. for a Facebook Live presentation “Social Media: Why LinkedIn” with Jennifer “J” Alexander. Visit the Riverside American Legion’s facebook page to attend. Visit online for more information.
- North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., invites you to pick up a Take-and-Make Quilt Block of the Month Kit beginning Jan. 17 and relax during Stretching and Meditation via conference call (800-747-5150, code 1453322) on Jan. 17 at 6:30 p.m.
Kids ages 4-up can participate in Lapsit Storytime (Zoom only)on Jan. 13 at 10:30 a.m.; After School Art Escape (Zoom or in person) on Jan. 13 at 3:30 p.m.; ABCs and 123s (Zoom only) on Jan. 17 at 10:30 a.m.; Story Safari (Zoom only) on Jan 19 at 10:30 a.m.; and Silly Science, Crazy Construction & Stuff (Zoom or in person) on Jan. 19 at 4 p.m.
Register for programs at the North Riverside library’s online events calendar.
- Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., invites you to Chair Yoga via Zoom on Jan. 13 at 11 a.m.; Sewing Basics: Simple Stitches in the Maker Studio on Jan. 13 at 6 p.m.; and How to Reduce College Costs presented by My College Planningvia Zoom on Jan. 19 at 6 p.m.
Visit the Brookfield library’s online events calendar to register for programs.
- Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, hosts a Riverside Reads book discussion of “The Night Circus” by Erin Morgenstern in the Community Room on Jan. 18 at 2:30 p.m. Registration required.
Visit the Riverside library’s online events calendar to register for programs.
- Riverside Chess Club, open to anyone age 5 through adult, meets in person each Wednesday at 5 p.m. in Room 30 of the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road. Players of all levels welcome. Children under 7 require caregiver over 13. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
- Through March 25, the Lyons Township High School South Campus Fieldhouse indoor track, 4900 S. Willow Springs Road in Western Springs, will be open to the public from 6 to 7 a.m. on days LTHS is in session. There is no admission charge or fee to use the track. Please bring an ID and be prepared to sign in.