Rising cost of prescription drugs
The League of Women Voters of the LaGrange Area will sponsor a program on the rising price of prescription drugs on Tuesday, Feb. 8 from 7 to 8:30 p.m. via Zoom.
The discussion will be led by Dr. Thomas Gochenour of Rush University Medical Center, who will discuss the evolution of the prescription marketplace since 1972 and reference events and legislation that have led prices of some medications to skyrocket.
Register by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org by Feb. 6. Free and open to the public. Email email@example.com for more info.
Visit in person with Honest Abe
North Riverside Parks & Recreation invites you to spend some quality time with the nation’s 16th president during “Apple Pie with Abraham Lincoln,” an in-person program on Wednesday, Feb. 9 from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the Village Commons, 2401 Desplaines Ave.
Abraham Lincoln impersonator Kevin Wood will tell you about the 12 turbulent years beginning in 1845 right through the Civil War until 1865. The fee to attend to $25. Call 708-442-5515 or visit the Parks & Rec Facebook page for more info.
Blood Drive at North Riverside Library
North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., is hosting a Blood Drive on Saturday, Feb. 5 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Anyone age 16+ is eligible to donate blood, which has been scarce during the pandemic. Now is the time to replenish blood banks. Donors get a free gift. Refreshments available.
Register for a time by visiting tinyurl.com/2p89updc or scan the QR code on the home page of the library’s website.
The ins and outs of composting at home
The Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library invites you to join Kate Carney from the Cook County Department of Environment and Sustainability for the special Zoom program “Composting with Kate” on Monday, Feb. 7 at 6 p.m.
Carney will explain the basics of composting and share options for composting at home. Registration required. Call 708-485-6917 or visit the Brookfield library’s online events calendar.
Film Discussion Group
Join movie maven Marty Blank at the Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., on Feb. 8 at 6:30 p.m. for the next installment of his Film Discussion Series, focusing on critically acclaimed foreign and independent films.
The group will view and discuss the Israeli film “God of the Piano,” which tells the story of a mother who goes to extreme lengths to realize her musical dreams through her son, who was born deaf.
- North Riverside Parks and Rec will host a Daddy Daughter Luau on Feb. 18 from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at the Village Commons, 2401 Desplaines Ave. Enjoy dinner, dessert, a DJ and more. Fathers, grandfathers, uncles and big brothers welcome. Register by Feb. 4. Call 708-442-5515.
- AARP Tax Aid is back at Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, and the Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., to provide free tax assistance for those 60 and older. Volunteers will be at the Riverside Public Library on Wednesdays through April 6 and at the Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library on Fridays through April 8. You must register for appointments in person at the respective libraries.
- Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., presents “Muse,” an exhibition of photography and costumes by Niki Grangruth and James Kinser, through Feb. 19 and “The Bigger the Fear and Despair …” a two-person show featuring the work of Mayumi Lake and Stacia Yeapanis through February. Proof of vaccine required. Gallery hours are Thursday-Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m.
- North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., invites you to drop by the Sewing Help Desk on Feb. 5 from 1 to 3 p.m. and to join Telephone Book Club on Feb. 8 at 6:45 p.m. via conference call (800-747-5150, code 1453322). They’ll discuss “The Tubman Command” by Elizabeth Cobbs.
Those in grades 6-12 can come by the library to Make Mini Terrariums on Feb. 5 from 1:30 to 3 p.m.
Kids ages 4-up can participate in the hybrid programs Lapsit Storytime on Feb. 3 at 10:30 a.m.; After School Art Escape on Feb. 3 at 3:30 p.m.; Learn with Lester the Llama on Feb. 5 at 10:30 a.m.; ABCs and 123s on Feb. 7 at 10:30 a.m.; Story Safari on Feb. 9 at 10:30 a.m.; a family Pajama Storytime (Zoom only) on Feb. 7 at 6:30 p.m.; and Silly Science, Crazy Construction & Stuff on Feb. 9 at 4 p.m.
Register for programs at the North Riverside library’s online events calendar.
- Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., invites you to Chair Yoga via Zoom on Feb. 3 at 11 a.m.; Valentine Card Making in the Maker Studio on Feb. 3 at 6 p.m.; Candy Making (teens/young adults) with Annette from Fill My Jar on Feb. 5 at 11:30 a.m. in Meeting Room 1; Genealogy Club: Organizing with Evernote on Feb. 8 at 4 p.m.; and Craft Craze: Wooden Hearth Decoration (grades 1-5) in the Storytime Room on Feb. 9 at 4 p.m.
Visit the Brookfield library’s online events calendar to register for programs.
- Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, hosts After School DIY for teens on Feb. 9 at 3:30 p.m. Visit online to register.
- Through March 25, the Lyons Township High School South Campus Fieldhouse indoor track, 4900 S. Willow Springs Road in Western Springs, will be open to the public from 6 to 7 a.m. on days LTHS is in session. There is no admission charge or fee to use the track. Please bring an ID and be prepared to sign in.
- The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo the second Sunday of every month. Doors open at 1 p.m. and games start at 2 p.m. with cash payouts. The next date is Feb. 13.