Valentine Senior Social
Senior citizens can join the Brookfield Chamber of Commerce for their annual Valentine Senior Social on Sunday, Feb. 13 from 1 to 3 p.m. in the council chamber of the Brookfield Village Hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave.
You can also participate virtually from the comfort of your own home or at a friend’s. Play bingo, enter the raffle and more.
A donation of $5 per person is requested. Register to attend and get more information on how to attend virtually by visiting online.
The deadline for registration is Feb. 9 or when the event is full.
Experience ancient Mexican culture through dance
Learn about the tradition of La Danza De Los Concheros as North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., presents Xochital-Quetzal Aztec Dance on Thursday, Feb. 10 at 6:30 p.m.
This dynamic and vibrant performance is a visually entertaining and educational presentation on the heritage and culture of the indigenous tradition of Flor y Canto of ancient Mexico.
The program is free and open to all ages. Register to attend by visiting the library in person, calling 708-447-0869 or online.
Art contest at North Riverside Mall
North Riverside Park Mall, 7501 Cermak Road, invites budding artists of all ages to participate in their Art Fest Contest, which runs through February.
Visit Digital Hot Shots on the lower level of the center court and pick up an 8-by-10 inch canvas and paint. You can take the canvas home or paint it right there at the mall. Bring back your completed canvas by Feb. 20 for a chance to win a mall shopping spree.
Artwork will be displayed in the mall and online voting will be conducted Feb. 21-28 on the North Riverside Park Mall’s Facebook page. Winners will be announced March 1.
Grade school chess tournament
St. Mary School, 97 Herrick Road in Riverside, will host an All-Area Chess Tournament for kids in grades K-8 on Saturday, Feb. 12 from 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Players will be divided in two divisions (K-3 and 4-8) and everyone plays five rounds. Top 10 scorers in each division get trophies and medals. Best school team in each division wins a trophy.
Entry fee is $45 and includes wrapped pizza lunch and beverage. Snacks available for purchase. Guardian needs to be present for children 11-under.
Register at learningmeansfun.com/signup. Enter code SMR2.12.22.
More info? Call 847-482-9999 or email email@example.com.
Virtual Valentine’s Day concert
Celebrate Valentine’s Day with the Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., through music during My Favorite Love Songs with Clarence Goodman on Monday, Feb. 14 at 6 p.m.
Goodman will appear virtually in front of an audience that will gather in the lower-level meeting room of the library. Register to attend by visiting online.
- AARP Tax Aid is back at Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, and the Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., to provide free tax assistance for those 60 and older. Volunteers will be at the Riverside Public Library on Wednesdays through April 6 and at the Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library on Fridays through April 8. You must register for appointments in person at the respective libraries.
- Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., presents “Muse,” an exhibition of photography and costumes by Niki Grangruth and James Kinser, through Feb. 19 and “The Bigger the Fear and Despair …” a two-person show featuring the work of Mayumi Lake and Stacia Yeapanis through February. Proof of vaccine required. Gallery hours are Thursday-Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m.
- North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., presents a virtual Crafternoons: Valentine Sock Gnomes on Feb. 12 at 1:30 p.m. If you need assistance with your smartphone, tablet or e-reader, drop in on Feb. 16 between 4 and 6 p.m. for some Device Advice.
Those in grades 6-12 can play the Jackbox game Split the Room on Feb. 12 from 3 to 4 p.m.
Kids ages 4-up can participate in the hybrid programs Lapsit Storytime (Zoom only) on Feb. 10 at 10:30 a.m.; After School Art Escape on Feb. 10 at 3:30 p.m.; ABCs and 123s (Zoom only) on Feb. 14 at 10:30 a.m.; Story Safari (Zoom only) on Feb. 16 at 10:30 a.m.; and Silly Science, Crazy Construction & Stuff on Feb. 16 at 4 p.m.
Register for programs at the North Riverside library’s online events calendar.
- Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., invites you to Chair Yoga via Zoom on Feb. 10 at 11 a.m.; Felt Flower Making in the Maker Studio on Feb. 10 at 6 p.m.; join the knitting and crochet group and Stop and Knit Awhile (adults) on Feb. 11 at 2 p.m. in the Maker Studio; Genealogy Club: Organizing with Evernote on Feb. 8 at 4 p.m.; and Craft Craze: Wooden Hearth Decoration (grades 1-5) in the Storytime Room on Feb. 9 at 4 p.m.
Visit the Brookfield library’s online events calendar to register for programs.
- Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, hosts What Should I Grow in my Medicinal Herb Garden? via Zoom with on Feb. 10 at 7 p.m.; After School DIY for teens on Feb. 16 at 3:30 p.m.; and an evening with romance author Jasmine Guillory via Zoom on Feb. 16 at 7 p.m. Visit online to register.
- Through March 25, the Lyons Township High School South Campus Fieldhouse indoor track, 4900 S. Willow Springs Road in Western Springs, will be open to the public from 6 to 7 a.m. on days LTHS is in session. There is no admission charge or fee to use the track. Please bring an ID and be prepared to sign in.
- The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo the second Sunday of every month. Doors open at 1 p.m. and games start at 2 p.m. with cash payouts. The next date is Feb. 13.