Carl Curry

A Cook County prosecutor told a judge last week that the man suspected of fatally shooting two people inside a Riverside apartment last November planned out the deed,  stalking the couple before breaking down the front door of the apartment and executing them in their bed.

Following a bond hearing at the Maybrook courthouse on April 8, Carl Curry, 33, is being held without bond at Cook County Jail charged with two counts of first-degree murder for the deaths of 38-year-old Jeremy Lane and 31-year-old Tiata Johnson.

Curry will be in court next on April 29, at which time he could face indictment and additional charges. Last week, Curry was turned over to Riverside police in Barnstable County, Massachusetts, where he has been held since his capture in Hyannis, on Cape Cod, by the U.S. Marshal’s Fugitive Task Force about a month after the double homicide.

Riverside Police Chief Matthew Buckley said Curry fought extradition back to Illinois, where a pair of governor’s warrants had been issued. One was for the Riverside killings, while the other was a fugitive warrant issued by the Illinois Department of Corrections.

At the time of the shootings, Curry was on parole after serving part of a six-year sentence after a 2019 felony weapons conviction. According to Buckley, Curry contested the IDOC warrant because it listed an alias date of birth. The fight over the warrant went all the way to the Massachusetts Supreme Court, said Buckley, which sided with prosecutors.

Back in Cook County after the four-month extradition fight, Curry appeared in bond court April 8 at Maybrook where prosecutors laid out their case. 

Jeremy Lane
Tiata Johnson

Curry was released from Sheridan Correctional Center last August and had been living with Johnson, his girlfriend, in an apartment in Danville.

On Nov. 8, 2021, Johnson called Danville police to have Curry removed from her residence, and he was subsequently charged with disorderly conduct. At the same time, Johnson reportedly sent text messages to Curry’s parole officer saying he was threatening her. One of the text messages reportedly was a photo of Curry holding a gun.

Johnson immediately left Danville and sought refuge with Lane, a former boyfriend, at his apartment at 63 Forest Ave. in Riverside and she apparently ignored Curry’s attempts to reach her by phone following his release from Danville police custody.

On Nov. 9, Curry reportedly texted Johnson’s best friend complaining that Johnson had sent text messages, including the one of him holding a gun, to his parole officer.

At some point during the next couple of days, Curry traveled by train from Danville to Chicago and stayed with a relative on the West Side of the city.

Driving a silver Malibu borrowed from a friend, Curry reportedly traveled to Riverside on the evening of Nov. 12. According to the prosecutor, surveillance camera video showed the Malibu circling the area near 63 Forest Avenue, stopping near Lane’s customized Monte Carlo, which was parked across the street.

Just before 10 p.m. on Nov. 12, Curry texted Johnson’s best friend again, telling her to have Johnson call him. He then texted the friend a photo of Lane’s car and a photo of the apartment building where Lane lived.

Security cameras later captured video of a black Chrysler that Lane had rented heading east on Forest Avenue from First Avenue and parking at his apartment building at 1:56 a.m. on Nov. 13.

Four minutes later, at 2 a.m., the silver Malibu that Curry had borrowed pulls up to the apartment building. A man exits the car and enters the apartment building at 2:21 a.m., leaving two minutes later.

The man is seen walking in and out of the building again between 3:10 and 3:12 a.m. The man is seen entering the building for a third time at 3:17 a.m. and exiting at 3:24 a.m., running away. A security camera captured video of the silver Malibu at the corner of First and Forest avenues at 3:27 a.m.

According to prosecutors, a neighbor in Lane’s building reported hearing a bang and then four gunshots at about 3:10 a.m. However, police weren’t notified that anything had happened until about 1 p.m. on Nov. 13, when Lane’s cousin went to the apartment after not being able to reach Lane by phone. He saw that the front door to Lane’s apartment had been forced open and called 911.

Curry reportedly fled to a relative’s home in Hyannis, Massachusetts, where the U.S. Marshal’s Fugitive Task Force took him into custody on Dec. 9. Curry has been held in Barnstable County, Massachusetts, since his arrest.

In February, the Hyannis News reported that Barnstable County police responded to the home where Curry had been hiding out to investigate a report of gunshots coming from that address.

Monte Curry, 40, was taken into custody and charged with assault with a deadly weapon, intimidating a witness and cocaine trafficking, the Hyannis News reported. Police then executed a search warrant at the property, seizing two handguns, four large-capacity magazines, ammunition, 22 grams of cocaine and a large sum of cash.

A handgun seized by police at the Hyannis residence is being tested at the Massachusetts State Police Crime Lab with the assistance of the Illinois State Police, said Buckley, to see if it was used in the Riverside homicides. Riverside police recovered several spent shell casings from the murder scene.