Minding the achievement gap
The League of Women Voters of the LaGrange Area and the CommUNITY Diversity Group of LaGrange will host a special Zoom program “The Achievement Gap: What Are Our Schools Doing about It?” on April 21 at 7 p.m.
The program will focus on what efforts elementary school districts 102, 105 and Lyons Township High School District 204 are undertaking, what the results are and how they are being measured.
Free and open to the public. Register online by visiting lagrangelwv.org and clicking the registration link on the home page. Email email@example.com with questions.
Alternative fuels car show
Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., continues its Earth Month celebration on April 23 with an Alternative Fuels Car Show from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
The Brookfield Conservation Commission will host an exposition of alternative-fuel vehicles owned by Brookfield residents, featuring everything from flex fuels to electric engines.
Earth Day shredding, recycling events
Brookfield Zoo and North Riverside Parks & Rec will each host Earth Day events on April 23.
North Riverside will host an Earth Day Shred Event from 10 a.m. to noon in the police department parking lot, 2359 Desplaines Ave. There will be a document shredding truck onsite to shred all personal or unwanted paper. Leading up to the event, there will be shredding containers at the Village Commons, 2401 Desplaines Ave.
Brookfield Zoo will host a Party for the Planet recycling event from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the main parking lot at 8400 31st St.
Gather electronics, textiles and used books and dispose of them in an environmentally friendly way. For a complete list of items that will be accepted visit CZS.org/PartyPlanet. There is no charge to drop off items for recycling.
Radio Players performance
The Riverside Township Radio Players will present a drama and a comedy for their next performance on Friday, April 22. They will present an episode of The Crime Club entitled “No Time for Murder” and some fun with an episode of The Quiz Kids “Guest, Vanessa Brown”.
The free performance starts at 7:30 p.m. in the auditorium of the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road in Riverside. For more information or to watch the performance later visit online.
Riverside Lyric Chapter presents ‘Rigoletto’
The Riverside Chapter of Lyric Opera presents the 1946 film of Verdi’s “Rigoletto,” directed by Carmine Gallone and starring Tito Gobbi, Marcella Govoni and Lina Pagliughi in the Community Room of the Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, on April 24 at 2 p.m.
The all-ages event will be presented by Noel Perlman. Register to attend at riversidelibrary.org/events.
- Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., hosts its Riverside-Brookfield High School Annual Advanced Placement Art Exhibition through May 7 in the Freeark Gallery and Sculpture Garden. The group show includes paintings, drawings, sculptures and photographs by students in their sophomore, junior and senior years. Gallery hours are Thursday through Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m.
There’s also a photography exhibition, “Love You Bro” featuring the work of Stephanie Graham in the lobby of the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road, Riverside, through June 30. Hours are Mon.-Thurs. 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Friday 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., invites you to make an appointment to visit the Ancestry Help Desk on April 22 from 2 to 6 p.m. There’s also Club de Lectura (hybrid) discussing “Cometierra” by Dolores Reyes on April 22 at 10:30 a.m.; Scrapbooking Drop-in on April 23 from 1 to 3 p.m.; in-person Chair Yoga on April 25 at 6:30 p.m. and Mary’s Monthly Movie (“Earth”) on April 26 at 2 p.m. Register for programs at northriversidelibrary.org/events-new.
- Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., invites kids in grades 1-5 to Geek Lab: Water Pollution and Oil Spills on April 21 at 4 p.m. There’s also Yoga Storytime: Dream Green (ages 2-5) on April 22 at 1 p.m.; and Dream Green Take & Make Crafts (all ages with caregiver) all day on April 22.
Adults can join Catherine Lambrecht for Family Heirloom recipes from the Illinois State Fair on April 25 at 7 p.m. Call 708-485-6917 or visit brookfield.evanced.info/signup to register for programs.
- Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, in collaboration with Illinois Libraries invites you to Nick Offerman and Jeff Tweedy in Conversation, a special Zoom event on April 27 at 7 p.m. There’s also Mindfulness Together meditation with Gina Consolino-Barsotti on April 22 at noon in the Community Room. To register for programs visit riversidelibrary.org/events.
- The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo the second Sunday of every month. Doors open at 1 p.m. and games start at 2 p.m. with cash payouts.