Table Top Gardening
The Brookfield Aging Well Team and Brookfield Parks & Recreation in partnership with the Brookfield Garden Club will host the special program Table Top Gardening on May 22 from 1 to 3 p.m. at the pavilion in Ehlert Park, Elm and Congress Park avenues in Brookfield.
Garden Club volunteers will share easy ways to grow flowers, herbs and vegetables without getting down on the ground. Bring a chair, sit at a table in the pavilion or listen to speakers from your car at this socially distanced event.
Free to attend but reservations required by calling 708-485-1474.
Radio Players recreate classic comedies
The Riverside Township Radio Players will recreate two classic comedy episodes from the Golden Age of Radio during their final performance of the season on May 20 at 7:30 p.m. in the auditorium of the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road in Riverside.
The troupe will perform “Fibber gets Stuck in Fresh Pavement” from the “Fibber McGee and Molly Show” and “Walter’s Radio” from “Our Miss Brooks.”
Free admission. Visit riversidetownshipradioplayers.com for more.
A Wild West journey
The Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., invites you to join author Raluca Barbu as she shares her experiences traveling and writing her book “American Vacation: 12,000 Miles into the Wild West” on May 24 at 7 p.m.
Barbu will talk about her 45-day trek across 19 states from 260 feet below sea level to 14,000 feet in the air. She’ll read from her book, answer questions and show photos taken during her trip. The winner of a quiz at the end of the program will win a copy of her book.
Attend in person or virtually. Register by calling 708-485-6917 or online.
The Great Egg Drop
Can you build a structure strong enough to protect an egg from breaking after being dropped from the roof of a building?
Find out at the Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, during their Science Saturdays program The Great Egg Drop on May 21 at 1 p.m. The library will provide one starter kit per family, which you can pick up at the library.
Visit riversidelibrary.org/events to register and more info.
Food pantry open house
Share Food Share Love Food Pantry recently moved into a new location at 9030 Brookfield Ave. in Brookfield. Now they’re inviting the entire community to check out their new digs during an open house on May 22 from 1 to 3 p.m.
Stop by, check out the facility and enjoy refreshments, giveaways, a raffle and more. All are welcome.
Call 630-347-5390 or visit sharefoodsharelove.com for more info.
- Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., hosts two exhibitions through June 25. In the Freeark Gallery is “The Old Same Place,” a solo show by Joseph Noderer, while the FlexSpace Gallery hosts “Flock,” a site-specific installation by Catherine Schwalbe. Gallery hours are Thursday-Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m.
There’s also the photography exhibition, “Love You Bro” featuring the work of Stephanie Graham in the lobby of the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road, Riverside, through June 30. Hours are Mon.-Thurs. 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Friday 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., invites you to make an appointment to visit the Ancestry Help Desk on May 20 between 2 and 6 p.m. You can also attend an in-person Chair Yoga session on May 23 at 6:30 p.m. or watch the film “The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel” during Mary’s Monthly Movie on May 24 at 2 p.m. Register for programs online.
- Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., presents Chair Yoga, a virtual program on May 19 at 11 a.m.; “Should I Stay or Should I Go?” a program weighing the pros and cons of aging at home or in a senior living community on May 20 at 2 p.m.; and Movies with Marty, featuring a screening of the Alec Guinness classic “The Horse’s Mouth” on May 21 at 1 p.m. Call 708-485-6917 or visit online to register for programs.
- Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, invites you to an All Ages Outdoor Storytime on May 20 at 10 a.m. Bring your blanket, listening ears and dancing feet and enjoy stories, songs and rhymes. There’s also Making Food Extracts with Kimber on May 19 at 7 p.m. and you can learn to create a family story cookbook during Genealogy Family Cookbook on May 24 at 7 p.m. To register for programs visit online.
- The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo the second Sunday of every month. Doors open at 1 p.m. and games start at 2 p.m. with cash payouts.