Kayak paddle in Riverside
Get acquainted with the Des Plaines River during the Friends of Riverside Kayak Paddle slated for Aug. 14.
Paddle On Outfitters Inc. will host the kayak trip and provide kayak rentals for four time slots that day at 8 a.m., 10:30 a.m., 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. Reserve a time/kayaks ($30 single/$45 tandem) online.
Meet at the green parking lot 63 E. Burlington St. and take the shuttle to the Scout Cabin where kayaks will be waiting. After a safety introduction, you’ll paddle upstream to the first bridge then downstream to Swan Pond.
Email email@example.com or call/text 815-762-4009 with questions.
Outdoor concert in Brookfield
Brookfield Parks & Rec continues its outdoor concert series on Aug. 12 at 7 p.m. with The Shakes Almighty, who will play classic rock ‘n’ roll covers from the Rolling Stones to the Allman Brothers to Steve Miller.
Concerts are held at the band shell in Kiwanis Park at Arden and Brookfield avenues in Brookfield. Bring chairs, blankets and picnic items and enjoy the show.
Brookfield Reads finale
Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., will cap its Brookfield Reads program on Aug. 13 at 2 p.m. when it hosts Jack Bales, author of this year’s book, “The Chicago Cub Shot for Love.”
Bales will discuss his true crime book and the scandal that rocked the Chicago Cubs during their 1932 bid for the National League pennant and World Series. He’ll also talk about the history of the Cubs, baseball in Chicago and the dark underbelly of America’s pastime.
The Riverside Junior Woman’s Charity invites you to “adopt” a toy swan which will be launched into the Des Plaines River at noon on Aug. 28 near the Hofmann Tower to cap the nonprofit’s inaugural Swan Derby fundraiser.
The swans will “race” downstream to the finish line, with the first four finishers winning cash prizes. There’s will also be a cash prize for the last-place “lazy swan” finisher.
Proceeds from the fundraiser benefit the many charities Riverside Juniors support. A kids’ pavilion near the finish line at Swan Pond Park will feature a bounce house, food trucks, games, prizes and a DJ.
To purchase a swan ($5 each or $20 for a “flock” of five) visit online at swanderby.cheddarup.com. Email Swans@RiversideJuniors.org with questions.
Morning music at Loca Mocha
Loca Mocha, inside the Brookfield Metra station at 8858 Burlington Ave., kicks off its monthly Morning Coffee House series on Aug. 16 with folk singer Mark Dvorak at 10 a.m.
A Brookfield resident, Dvorak will appear at Loca Mocha once a month. He is working on his 20th CD release “Live & Alone” recorded in an empty concert hall at the height of the pandemic lockdown. He is also planning to publish his fourth book of essays, “31 Winters.”
There is no admission fee. Donations accepted. CDs and books available for purchase.
- Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., presents “Endless,” featuring the work of Darrell Roberts, in the outdoor Sculpture Garden through Oct. 29. Gallery hours are Thursday through Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m. There’s also an exhibition featuring the work of Madelyn Roldan and Oakley McCormack in the lobby of the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road, through Sept. 29. Regular viewing hours are Monday-Thursday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Friday 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Visit riversideartscenter.com for more.
- The Riverside Farmers Market operates each Wednesday through Oct. 5 from 2:30 to 7 p.m. in Centennial Park, at Forest Avenue and Longcommon Road. The Brookfield Farmers Market returns every Saturday through Oct. 15 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the parking lot of the Brookfield Village Hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave.
- North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., invites you to make an appointment to visit the Ancestry Help Desk on Aug. 12 between 2 and 6 p.m. There’s also Crafternoons: Hydro-Dippingon Aug. 13 at 1:30 p.m.; Stretching & Meditation by teleconference (312-626-6799, code 777067) on Aug. 15 at 6:30 p.m. and Tabletop Board Games (grades 6-12) on Aug. 17 from 3-6 p.m. Register for programs online.
- Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., presents Chair Yoga (virtual) on Aug. 11 at 11 a.m.; Take Charge of Your Health (seniors) on Aug. 11 at 1 p.m.; Art Therapy for Seniors on Aug. 17 at 11 a.m.; and Chair Zumba on Aug. 17 at 1:30 p.m. Call 708-485-6917 or visit online to register for programs.
- Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, invites you to Medicare para Hispanohablantes in the Community Room on Aug. 11 at 7 p.m.; Mindfulness Together meditation (hybrid) with Gina Barsotti on Aug. 12 at noon; and a Riverside Reads discussion of “Mostly Dead Things” by Kristen Arnett on Aug. 16 at 2:30 p.m. To register for programs visit riversidelibrary.org/events.
- The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo the second Sunday of every month. Doors open at 1 p.m. and games start at 2 p.m. with cash payouts.