Movie in Ehlert Park
Brookfield Parks & Rec invites you to bring the entire family to Ehlert Park, Elm and Congress Park avenues, on Aug. 20 for its final Movie in the Park for 2022.
The big screen will show the 2012 computer animated, arcade game-themed comedy/adventure film “Wreck-It Ralph” featuring the voices of John C. Reilly, Sarah Silverman, Jack McBrayer and Jane Lynch.
Before the film starts at dusk don’t miss experiencing arcade game favorites such as Pitfall and Galaga in real life. Bring blankets, chairs, food and drinks and settle in for an evening under the stars.
Outdoor concerts in Riverside, Brookfield
If you’re looking for live music on Friday night, you have your pick on Aug. 19 with both Riverside and Brookfield hosting outdoor concerts.
Riverside Parks & Rec presents Midwest roots rockers Good Things from 6:30 to 9 p.m. at Guthrie Park in downtown Riverside across the street from the Metra station, 90 Bloomingbank Road.
Or, you could choose to head over to the band shell at Kiwanis Park, Arden and Brookfield avenues in Brookfield, and catch the Chicago Irish Band, delivering traditional covers to favorites beginning at 7 p.m.
Bring a blanket or lawn chair and picnic items. Both concerts are free to attend.
Riverside Cruise Night
Riverside Garage hosts its final Cruise Night of the summer in Riverside on Aug. 18 from 6 to 9 p.m. on East Burlington Street, just east of Longcommon Road, in the village’s downtown.
Classic car owners who would like to show off their wheels do not need to sign up and will be admitted on a first come, first served basis. No awards will be given out. There will be live music and vendors, and there’s no admission fee to come and enjoy the car show.
Films at local libraries
Libraries in North Riverside and Brookfield offer free in-person movie screenings in the coming week.
The Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., caps its Brookfield Reads initiative with the movie “The Natural,” inspired by the events recounted in the book “The Chicago Cub Shot for Love,” on Aug. 20 at 1 p.m. Register to attend online or by calling 708-485-6917, ext. 130.
North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., will screen the 2004 film “Around the World in 80 Days” starring Jackie Chan and Steve Coogan on Aug. 23 at 2 p.m. Register to attend online.
- The Riverside Junior Woman’s Charity invites you to “adopt” a toy swan which will be launched into the Des Plaines River at noon on Aug. 28 near the Hofmann Tower to cap the nonprofit’s inaugural Swan Derby fundraiser. Proceeds benefit the many charities Riverside Juniors support. Visit swanderby.cheddarup.com for more.
- Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., presents “Endless,” featuring the work of Darrell Roberts, in the outdoor Sculpture Garden through Oct. 29. Gallery hours are Thursday through Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m. There’s also an exhibition featuring the work of Madelyn Roldan and Oakley McCormack in the lobby of the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road, through Sept. 29. Regular viewing hours are Monday-Thursday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Friday 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Visit riversideartscenter.com for more.
- The Riverside Farmers Market operates each Wednesday through Oct. 5 from 2:30 to 7 p.m. in Centennial Park, at Forest Avenue and Longcommon Road. The Brookfield Farmers Market returns every Saturday through Oct. 15 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the parking lot of the Brookfield Village Hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave.
- North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., invites you to make an appointment to visit the Ancestry Help Desk on Aug. 19 between 2 and 6 p.m. There’s also Make Your Own Mug (grades 6-12) on Aug. 20 at 1:30 p.m.; Take Charge of Your Health (seniors, virtual) on Aug. 23 at 10 a.m.; and Stickers and Buttons (grades 6-12) on Aug. 24 at 3:30 p.m. Register for programs at northriversidelibrary.org/events-new.
- Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., presents Chair Yoga (virtual) on Aug. 18 at 11 a.m., 20s and 30s: Disney Trivia on Aug. 18 at 7 p.m. and Movie Music: Elvis Presley with John LeGear on Aug. 22 at 7 p.m. Call 708-485-6917 or visit online to register for programs.
- Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, invites you to Understanding and Responding to Dementia Related Behavior presented by the Alzheimer’s Association on Aug. 18 at 7 p.m.; All Ages Outside Storytime on Aug. 19 at 10 a.m.; and All in the Family genealogy program on Aug. 23 at 7 p.m. To register for programs, visit online.
- The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo the second Sunday of every month. Doors open at 1 p.m. and games start at 2 p.m. with cash payouts.