Brookfield outdoor concert/Music on Grand
Brookfield Parks & Rec closes the book on its Concerts in the Park series on Aug. 26 at 7 p.m. at the band shell in Kiwanis Park, at Brookfield and Arden avenues. Send off summer by kicking back to some old-school country music courtesy of Hazzard County. Bring blankets, chairs and picnic items.
But the weekend fun is just beginning. Brookfield will expand outdoor dining by closing off the south half of the 3700 block of Grand Boulevard all weekend, from Aug. 26-28.
A stage at Brookfield Avenue will feature live music all day on Aug. 27, beginning at noon, and close with a double bill of Bobby K Music (popular covers from the 90s and 2000s) at 6 p.m. and the ABBA tribute band Dancing Queen, starting at 8:30 p.m.
ZooBrew at Brookfield Zoo
Enjoy animals with a side of ale during ZooBrew, an annual event at Brookfield Zoo, 8400 31st St., on Aug. 27.
The 21-and-older event will feature about 80 varieties of ales, lagers and stouts as well as ciders, hard lemonade and hard seltzers from more than 20 breweries and distillers – both small and large.
There are several tasting sessions and ticket options/price points, including for designated drivers. All tickets include parking and admission to the zoo. For more details visit online at CZS.org/ZooBrew.
Colleen Moore’s Fairy Castle
Go on a journey with curator Margaret Schlesiginer and explore the enchanting details of one of the Museum of Science and Industry’s most popular attractions during “Colleen Moore’s Fairy Castle” in the Meeting Room of the Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library on Aug. 29 at 7 p.m.
Pretend you are 5-inches tall and walk through room after room filled with actual treasures collected from around the world. Listen to the Weeping Willow Tree and sneak into every room to play with bejeweled miniatures at your leisure.
Tour Riverside’s south end
The Frederick Law Olmsted Society continues its seasonal walking tours of Riverside, highlighting the village’s design, history and architecture, on Aug. 28 from 2 to 4 p.m. The tour will cover the area south of the railroad tracks.
Tours are $20 per person ($15 for seniors 62+ and Olmsted Society members). Groups depart at 2 p.m. from the Riverside Train Depot (east side of platform) at 90 Bloomingbank Road.
Reservations required. Email email@example.com or call 708-447-7635 to make reservations. Payment is made via PayPal or credit card only at olmstedsociety.org.
- The Frederick Law Olmsted Society and village of Riverside will hold a Landscape Workday on Aug. 27 from 9 a.m. to noon at Indian Gardens (near the Scout Cabin). Come for as long as you like. Supervised children welcome. Bring work gloves and a water bottle. All other supplies and snacks provided. Look for the public works dump truck.
- Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., presents “Endless,” featuring the work of Darrell Roberts, in the outdoor Sculpture Garden through Oct. 29. Gallery hours are Thursday through Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m. There’s also an exhibition featuring the work of Madelyn Roldan and Oakley McCormack in the lobby of the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road, through Sept. 29. Regular viewing hours are Monday-Thursday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Friday 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Visit riversideartscenter.com for more.
- The Riverside Farmers Market operates each Wednesday through Oct. 5 from 2:30 to 7 p.m. in Centennial Park, at Forest Avenue and Longcommon Road. The Brookfield Farmers Market returns every Saturday through Oct. 15 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the parking lot of the Brookfield Village Hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave.
- North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., invites you to make an appointment to visit the Ancestry Help Desk on Aug. 26 between 2 and 6 p.m. There’s also a Scrapbooking Drop-in on Aug. 27 at 1 p.m., Anime Club (grades 6-12) on Aug. 27 at 1 p.m.; and Chair Yoga (in person) on Aug. 29 at 6:30 p.m. Register for programs online.
- Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., presents Chair Yoga (virtual) on Aug. 25 at 11 a.m., Read to the Dogs with the Hinsdale Humane Society (youth services) Aug. 30 at 7 p.m., Make It: Wine Bottle Painting (all materials provided) on Aug. 30 at 7 p.m. and Art Therapy for Seniors on Aug. 31 at 11 a.m. Call 708-485-6917 or visit online to register for programs.
- Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, invites you to an All Ages Outside Storytime on Aug. 26 at 10 a.m. and Mindfulness Together meditation with Gina Barsotti on Aug. 26 at noon. To register for programs, visit online.
- The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo the second Sunday of every month. Doors open at 1 p.m. and games start at 2 p.m. with cash payouts.