Magic: The Gathering tournament
North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., invites Planeswalkers in grades 6-12 to do battle in the Multiverse during a special Magic: The Gathering tournament on Sept. 12 at 1 p.m.
Cards will be provided by MagiKids, a non-profit organization. The event is free to attend. For more information or if you have questions, call 708-447-0869 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Conversation with Marlee Matlin
Riverside Public Library and the Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library will join Illinois Libraries Present as they host a virtual “Conversation with Marlee Matlin” on Sept. 14 at 7 p.m.
To mark Deaf Awareness Month, the Academy Award-winning actress will discuss the highs and lows of her Hollywood career and her journey as a deaf rights activist. The event will be presented on Zoom and will be translated through an ASL interpreter.
Register to attend at 708-485-6917 or at brookfield.evanced.info/signup or at riversidelibrary.org/events.
Author event at Brookfield library
The Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., invites you to join Chicago actor and Brookfield resident Rose Buckner for a reading of her one-woman play “Bluegrass Belle” on Sept. 11 at 3 p.m.
Based on actual events, the play follows the life of Olivia Buckner, a Kentucky aristocrat who defied convention and married a Japanese man in 1903.
Register to attend at 708-485-6917 or online.
Fall Flea Market
North Riverside Parks & Rec invites you to find some bargains at their annual Fall Flea Market on Sept. 11 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Village Commons, 2401 Desplaines Ave.
The event features more than 100 vendor booths where you’ll be able to find that treasure you’ve been looking for. The event is held rain or shine. Lights concessions available for purchase.
Mall celebrates Mexican Independence Day
North Riverside Park Mall, 7501 Cermak Road in North Riverside, will host a Mexican Independence Day celebration on Sept. 11 from 2 to 4 p.m. in the mall’s center court.
The event will feature live Mariachi music, a Folkloric dance performance, Loteria and prizes and Mexican antojitos (while supplies last). For more, visit online.
- The Frederick Law Olmsted Society and village of Riverside will hold a Landscape Workday on Sept. 10 from 9 a.m. to noon at Indian Gardens (near the Scout Cabin). Come for as long as you like. Supervised children welcome. Bring work gloves and a water bottle. All other supplies and snacks provided. Look for the public works dump truck.
- Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., presents “Endless,” featuring the work of Darrell Roberts, in the outdoor Sculpture Garden through Oct. 29. Gallery hours are Thursday through Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m. There’s also an exhibition featuring the work of Madelyn Roldan and Oakley McCormack in the lobby of the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road, through Sept. 29. Regular viewing hours are Monday-Thursday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Friday 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Visit online for more.
- The Riverside Farmers Market operates each Wednesday through Oct. 5 from 2:30 to 7 p.m. in Centennial Park, at Forest Avenue and Longcommon Road. The Brookfield Farmers Market returns every Saturday through Oct. 15 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the parking lot of the Brookfield Village Hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave.
- North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., presents Signing Storytime (children with adult) on Sept. 10 at 11:30 a.m., Crafternoons: Glittery Book Page Hanging on Sept. 10 at 1:30 p.m., Morning Munchkin Stories with Ms. Karen on Sept. 12 at 10:30 a.m. and Story Safari (kids with adult) on Sept. 7 at 10:30 a.m. Register for programs online.
- Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., presents Fairytale Storytime (ages 4-5) on Sept. 8 at 10:30 a.m., a Pinecone Bird Feeder making project (grades 1-5) on Sept. 12 at 4 p.m., STEM for Adults with William Pack on Sept. 12 at 7 p.m., Film Discussion Series with Marty Blank on the film “Lapsis” on Sept. 13 at 6:30 p.m. and Art Therapy for Seniors on Sept. 14 at 11 a.m. Call 708-485-6917 or visit online to register for programs.
- Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, presents Drop-in Computing 101 on Sept. 8 at 2 p.m., Mindfulness Together mediation with Gina Barsotti on Sept. 9 at 11 a.m., a Family Birding program with Valerie Jisa on Sept. 10 at 9:30 a.m., and Today’s Feature Teen Movie (grades 6-12) on Sept. 14 at 4 p.m. To register for programs, visit online.
- The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo the second Sunday of every month. Doors open at 1 p.m. and games start at 2 p.m. with cash payouts.