Photographic exhibition opens at RAC
Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., invites the public to an opening reception on Sept. 18 from 3 to 6 p.m. for its latest Freeark Gallery exhibition “Semblance: Unfolded and Brought to Life,” by Chicago photographers Alice Hargrave and Barbara Diener.
Hargrave incorporates photographic imagery within layered site-specific installations addressing impermanence. Diener challenges the retelling of significant 20th century events, starting in Nazi-era Germany and culminating in the moon landing.
Gallery hours are Thursday-Saturday, 1 to 5 p.m. Free and open to the public. Visit riversideartscenter.com for more.
North Riverside welcomes autumn
Join the village of North Riverside at its annual family friendly Autumn Fest and Chili Cook-off event on Sept. 16 from 6:30 to 9 p.m. at the Village Commons, 2401 Desplaines Ave.
Enjoy live music by the Blooze Brothers, sample the chili and vote for your favorite and try your luck at carnival games. There will also be food and beverage trucks, face painting, a balloon artist and a petting zoo. The evening will end with a fireworks show.
Admission is free. No outside food/drinks/coolers are permitted.
Brookfield Chamber raffle drawing
Join the Brookfield Chamber of Commerce on Sept. 15 at 4:30 p.m. for its monthly After-Hours event, which will be combined with the first 60-to-Win drawing of 2022, at Joe’s Saloon, 9220 47th St. in Brookfield.
The chamber will conduct a drawing every Thursday through mid-November at 4:30 p.m. for those who bought tickets for the chamber’s annual 60-to-Win raffle.
You can hear you name announced in person at Joe’s Saloon or you can watch a livestream on the Brookfield Chamber of Commerce Facebook page (facebook.com/BrookfieldIllinois).
League of Women Voters talks SCOTUS
The League of Women Voters of the LaGrange Area will sponsor an update on recent and pending U.S. Supreme Court decision, with a focus on Dobbs vs. Mississippi, on Sept. 15 at 7 p.m. at the LaGrange Public Library, 10 W. Cossitt Ave., LaGrange.
The event is free and open to the public. Visit lagrangearealwv.org for more info.
- The Knights of Columbus’ Bishop Ketteler Council 1628, Riverside, will hold its annual Tootsie Roll Drive to support organizations dedicated to helping individuals with physical and/or intellectual disabilities on Sept. 16 and 17. In Riverside, members will be collecting donations at 31st St. and Desplaines Ave., 26th St. and Desplaines Ave., Longcommon Road and Forest Avenue and at Riverside Foods. In Brookfield, they will be at Maple Avenue and Grand Boulevard and at Tischler Finer Foods.
- The Frederick Law Olmsted Society and village of Riverside will hold a Landscape Workday on Sept. 17 from 9 a.m. to noon at Indian Gardens (near the Scout Cabin). Come for as long as you like. Supervised children welcome. Bring work gloves and a water bottle. All other supplies and snacks provided. Look for the public works dump truck.
- Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., presents “Endless,” featuring the work of Darrell Roberts, in the outdoor Sculpture Garden through Oct. 29. Gallery hours are Thursday through Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m. There’s also an exhibition featuring the work of Madelyn Roldan and Oakley McCormack in the lobby of the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road, through Sept. 29. Regular viewing hours are Monday-Thursday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Friday 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Visit riversideartscenter.com for more.
- The Riverside Farmers Market operates each Wednesday through Oct. 5 from 2:30 to 7 p.m. in Centennial Park, at Forest Avenue and Longcommon Road. The Brookfield Farmers Market returns every Saturday through Oct. 15 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the parking lot of the Brookfield Village Hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave.
- North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., presents After School Art Escape (children with adult) on Sept. 15 at 4 p.m., Family Movie Matinee on Sept. 17 at 1 p.m., Morning Munchkin Stories with Ms. Karen on Sept. 19 at 10:30 a.m., Stretching and Meditation (in person) on Sept. 19 at 6:30 p.m. and Story Safari (kids with adult) on Sept. 21 at 10:30 a.m. Register for programs online.
- Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., presents Chair Yoga (virtual) on Sept. 15 at 11 a.m., Intro to Digitization on Sept. 15 at 7 p.m. in the Maker Studio, a Movies with Marty screening of “Grosse Pointe Blank” on Sept. 17 at 1 p.m. in Meeting Room 1, and Chair Zumba on Sept. 21 at 1:30 p.m. Call 708-485-6917 or visit online to register for programs.
- Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, presents a Chess Meet Up (grades K-8) on Sept. 15 at 4 p.m., Friday Storytime (all ages) Sept. 16 at 9:30 and 10:15 a.m., Introduction to Seed Saving at the Riverside Community Garden (400 Nuttall Road) on Sept. 18 at 1:30 p.m., and Writing Family Stories: A Legacy Project with Carol LaChapelle on Sept. 20 at 7 p.m. To register for programs, visit online.
- The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo the second Sunday of every month. Doors open at 1 p.m. and games start at 2 p.m. with cash payouts.