Boo! at the Zoo returns
Gather your ghosts and goblins and head on over to Brookfield Zoo, 8400 31st St., for its annual Boo! at the Zoo event on Oct. 8-9, 15-16 and 22-23.
The Halloween-themed event features photo opportunities throughout the park, a corn maze and giant inflatables. Kids receive a sweet treat as they exit. Regular zoo admission and parking rates apply.
For more information, visit CZS.org/booatthezoo online.
Conversation with Jesmyn Ward
UPDATE: Oct. 10 at 8:48 a.m. This event has been canceled due to a Ward family health emergency.
Riverside Public Library and the Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library invite you to join Illinois Libraries Present for an evening with two-time National Book Award winner Jesmyn Ward as she discusses how her literary vision and personal experiences address urgent questions about racism and social justice.
‘The Spitfire Grill’ at TWS
Theatre of Western Springs, 4384 Hampton Ave., presents “The Spitfire Grill,” a musical by James Valcq and Fred Alley based on the non-musical movie of the same name from Oct. 6-16.
Tickets are $27 for all performances, $14 for children and students. Call the box office at 708-246-3380 or visit theatrewesternsprings.com for showtimes and to purchase tickets.
Get your wreath on
The Hollywood Citizens Association invites the community to get into the holiday spirit and support the organization during their Annual Wreath Sale. Buy wreaths and holiday decorations made from environmentally friendly, sustainable products from Winter Woods/Roden’s Elegant Gardens in Beloit, Wisconsin.
Orders are due by Oct. 20. The HCA expects to deliver products on Nov. 26. The sale is a fundraiser for the HCA. Visit hollywoodcitizensassociation.org for more.
Climate change documentary
Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, presents the National Geographic documentary “Before the Flood” on Oct. 8 at 10 a.m. in the Community Room.
Leonardo DiCaprio leads a journey as a United Nations Messenger of Peace, traveling to five continents and the Arctic to witness climate change firsthand.
- The Brookfield Chamber of Commerce continues its 60-to-Win raffle drawings every Thursday through Nov. 17 at 4:30 p.m. at Joe’s Saloon, 9220 47th St. in Brookfield. You can also watch a livestream on the Brookfield Chamber of Commerce Facebook page.
- Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., presents “Semblance: Unfolded and Brought to Life,” by Chicago photographers Alice Hargrave and Barbara Diener in the Freeark Gallery and “Endless,” featuring the work of Darrell Roberts, in the outdoor Sculpture Garden through Oct. 29. Gallery hours are Thursday through Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m. Visit riversideartscenter.com for more.
- The Riverside Farmers Market operates each Wednesday through Oct. 5 from 2:30 to 7 p.m. in Centennial Park, at Forest Avenue and Longcommon Road. The Brookfield Farmers Market returns every Saturday through Oct. 15 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the parking lot of the Brookfield Village Hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave.
- North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., presents After School Art Escape (child with adult) on Oct. 6 at 4 p.m., Parking Lot Bingo & Loteria on Oct. 7 at 4 p.m., Crafternoons: Spooky Garland on Oct. 8 at 1:30 p.m., Morning Munchkin Stories with Ms. Karen on Oct. 10 at 10:30 a.m., How to Use the NRPL Check-out Telescope on Oct. 11 at 6:30 p.m. and Story Safari (kids with adult) on Oct. 12 at 10:30 a.m. Register for programs online.
- Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., presents Chair Yoga (virtual) on Oct. 6 at 11 a.m., Can You Afford to Retire? on Oct. 6 at 7 p.m. to noon, Mexican Art and Culture on Oct. 10 at 7 p.m., a Film Discussion of the 2019 British romantic horror film “Carmilla” on Oct. 11 at 6:30 p.m. and Family Fun Story Night on Oct. 5 and 12 at 6:30 p.m. Call 708-485-6917 or visit online register for programs.
- Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, presents Friday Storytimes (all ages) Oct. 7 at 9:30 and 10:15 a.m., Family Playtime in the Program Room on Oct. 8 from 10 a.m. to noon, Knitting, Crochet & Needlework Group on Oct. 10 at 7 p.m. and Senior Housing 101 with Rick Graffagna on Oct. 12 at 7 p.m. To register for programs, visit online.
- The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo the second Sunday of every month. Doors open at 1 p.m. and games start at 2 p.m. with cash payouts.