Order of the Good Death
Public libraries in Riverside and Brookfield join with libraries around the state to present an evening with Caitlin Doughty, the founder of the Order of the Good Death via Zoom on Nov. 16 at 7 p.m.
Join mortician, bestselling author and advocate for death acceptance Doughty as she’s interviewed by Mark Bazer about her web series “Ask a Mortician” and her collective The Order of the Good Death, which spawned the “death positive” movement.
Register at brookfield.evanced.info/signup or riversidelibrary.org/events.
Free robotics program for kids
The Engineering Technology Department at Triton College, 2000 5th Ave. in River Grove, will host a free Robotics for Youth program from noon to 3 p.m. on Nov. 12 in the A Building library.
Expert robot builders will be on hand to helps kids learn to do it themselves. All materials provided free of charge. While kids are busy, family members can learn more about mechatronics, one of the college’s newest programs.
No registration required, but space is limited. First come, first served.
Christmas stockings for troops overseas
Kuratko-Nosek Funeral Home, 2447 Desplaines Ave. in North Riverside, invites you to send troops overseas and veterans a little taste of home for the holidays by filling a stocking full of items they can use.
Stop by Monday through Saturday between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. and pick up a free stocking along with a list of recommended items. Fill it up and return it to the funeral home through Dec. 16. Call 708-447-2500 for more info.
RAC hosts reception for four exhibitions
Riverside Arts Center will host a reception for four exhibitions being displayed through Dec. 30 in the Freeark and FlexSpace galleries, the Outdoor Sculpture Garden and at Riverside Town Hall on Nov. 13 from 3 to 6 p.m. at the center, 32 E. Quincy St.
In the Freeark Gallery is the solo show “Plot Structure,” featuring paintings by Matthew Girson. The Flex Space Gallery presents “Continue a Poem,” a group show featuring the work of Nicholas Frank, Lauren Fueyo and Nyeema Morgan.
“Dwell,” an installation of sculptures by Margie Glass Sula, is in the Outdoor Sculpture Garden, while “The Art of Seeing,” featuring botanical boxes by Shilin Hora, is at the town hall.
Riverside Arts Center gallery hours are Thursday-Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m. Riverside Town Hall, 27 Riverside Road, is open to the public Monday-Thursday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Friday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Visit online for more.
Parking Lot Bingo & Loteria
North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., hosts Parking Lot Bingo & Loteria on Nov. 11 at 4 p.m.
It’s an all-ages program (kids 10-under with adult) conducted in English and Spanish, so come by the parking lot, test your luck and win some prizes.
Register to attend by calling 708-447-0869 or online.
Brookfield Women’s Club hosts fundraiser
The Brookfield Women’s Club will hold its annual Bunco Fundraiser on Nov. 13 from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. at the Hollywood House, 3435 Hollywood Ave., in Brookfield. Admission is $10 per person, or $75 for a table of eight.
In addition to an afternoon of fun playing bunco, the event will feature raffles for gift baskets and a grab-and-go gift card purchase station. Bring a toy donation for Toys for Tots and receive a free raffle ticket.
Bring your favorite beverage and snacks to share. Winners will receive cash prizes. Don’t know how to play bunco? Don’t worry, they’ll teach you.
Register for the event at brookfieldwomensclub.com.
- The St. Paul VI Holy Name Society hosts is annual virtual Turkey Shoot Basket Raffle and Split-the-Pot on Nov. 13 at 3 p.m. The group will raffle off 35 baskets. There will also be a split-the-pot with cash prizes. No physical gathering, so raffle tickets must be purchased in advance. Entry forms and information on how to watch a livestream are at stpaulviparish.org. The entry deadline is Nov. 11 at 6 p.m.
- The Chi Zeta Chapter of Phi Theta Kappa at Triton College is collecting comfort items for homeless veterans from through Nov. 18, Monday-Thursday, from 8 a.m.-6:30 p.m. and Friday, from 8 a.m.-3:30 p.m., in the Office of Student Life, Room B-240, on the Triton College campus, 2000 5th Ave. in River Grove. Items will be donated to the Hines VA Hospital. Individual or travel sizes of toiletry items are preferred.
- The Brookfield Chamber of Commerce continues its 60-to-Win raffle drawings every Thursday through Nov. 17 at 4:30 p.m. at Joe’s Saloon, 9220 47th St. in Brookfield. You can also watch a livestream on the Brookfield Chamber of Commerce Facebook page (facebook.com/BrookfieldIllinois).
- North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., presents After School Art Escape (child with adult) on Nov. 10 at 4 p.m., Signing Storytime (child with adult) on Nov. 12 at 11:30 a.m., Crafternoons: Paper Lantern on Nov. 12 at 1:30 p.m., Morning Munchkin Stories with Ms. Karen (child with adult) on Nov. 14 at 10:30 a.m., Sensory Storytime (child with adult) on Nov. 15 at 1:30 p.m., Story Safari (child with adult) on Nov. 16 at 10:30 a.m. and History of the American Slumber Party (hybrid) on Nov. 15 at 6:30 p.m. Register for programs online.
- Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., presents Chair Yoga (virtual) on Nov. 10 at 11 a.m., Maker Studio 101 (en Español) on Nov. 10 at 7 p.m., Sewing Basics on Nov. 12 at 3 and 4:30 p.m., Gun Safety Community Panel on Nov. 14 at 7 p.m., Computer Basics on Nov. 15 at 6 and 7:30 p.m., and Paying for College without Going Broke on Nov. 16 at 6 p.m. Call 708-485-6917 or visit online to register for programs.
- Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, presents Drop-in Computing 101 on Nov. 10 from 2-3 p.m., Friday Storytimes (all ages) on Nov. 11 at 9:30 and 10:15 a.m.; Weekend Crafts (youth services) on Nov. 12 all day; Mini-Movers Storytimes on Nov. 14 at 9:30 a.m., 10:15 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.; and Little Hands Activity Time (ages 1-4) on Nov. 15 from 9:30-11 a.m. To register for programs, visit online.
- The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo the second Sunday of every month. Doors open at 1 p.m. and games start at 2 p.m. with cash payouts.