Holiday Movies & Music
Journey through the past century of film history during “Holiday Movies & Music” in the Meeting Room of the Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., on Dec. 5 at 7 p.m. and in the Community Room of the Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, on Dec. 6 at 7 p.m.
Presenter John LeGear showcases some of the most memorable holiday moments from classic and popular films. The program features a show-ending sing-along featuring scenes from “Holiday Inn,” “It’s a Wonderful Life,” “The Polar Express” and more.
Journey to the North Pole
The Riverside Junior Woman’s Charity presents “Journey to the North Pole: A Photo with Santa” at the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road, on Dec. 10.
Embark on a trip to the North Pole, receive digital photos with Santa, enjoy light refreshments and stop by activity booths featuring holiday traditions from countries around the globe.
Tickets are $10 per child (adults are free). Register and select a session (8 a.m. or 10 a.m.) at riversidejuniors.org/santa.
Choral concert in Riverside
Lux Cantorum, the Chicago area’s premier sacred choral music ensemble celebrates its 75th season with a Holiday Diversity Concert, honoring the choral contributions that underrepresented composers have made to our holiday experiences, at Sts. Peter & Paul Lutheran Church, 250 Woodside Road in Riverside, on Dec. 4 at 4 p.m.
Buy tickets ($20) online only at luxcantorum.org/upcoming. No tickets sold at the door.
Wise Men/Prairie Federation Tree Sale
The Prairie Trail Federation and the Greater LaGrange YMCA Men’s club (the Wise Men) have teamed up to host the club’s annual Christmas tree sale, a tradition since 1949.
The Wise Men Tree Sale is held weekdays from 5 to 8 p.m. and weekends from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. through Dec. 15 (or until the last tree is sold) in Gordon Park, on Ogden Avenue near the Metra/BNSF overpass, in LaGrange.
Trees from Michigan include balsam, Fraser and Douglas fir varieties in sizes ranging from 7 to 10 feet. Proceeds benefit the organizations’ philanthropic activities.
Ray Long: ‘The House that Madigan Built’
Join veteran Chicago Tribune investigative reporter Ray Long as he recounts four decades of observing state government and its powerful, now-indicted Illinois House Speaker Mike Madigan during an author event for his book “The House that Madigan Built” at the Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, on Dec. 5 at 7 p.m.
Register online to attend.
- Brookfield Zoo hosts its 41st Annual Holiday Magic festival of lights on the following dates: Nov. 30-Dec. 4 and Dec. 7-11, 14-18 and 26-31 from 3 to 9 p.m. Regular zoo admission and parking apply (advance reservation required for South Gate entry). Visit CZS.org/HolidayMagic for more info.
- North Riverside Park Mall, 7501 Cermak Road, will hold a toy drive benefiting The Children’s Center of Cicero-Berwyn through Dec. 15. Bring a new, unwrapped toy to the customer service desk in the mall’s center court. The mall will deliver donations in time for Christmas. You can also bring the kids to visit Santa in his workshop located in the mall’s center court daily through Dec. 24. Visit online for details.
- Kuratko-Nosek Funeral Home, 2447 Desplaines Ave. in North Riverside, invites you to fill a holiday stocking for troops overseas and veterans. Stop by Monday through Saturday between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. and pick up a free stocking. Fill it up and return it through Dec. 16. Call 708-447-2500 for more.
- Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St. presents “Plot Structure,” featuring paintings by Matthew Girson; “Continue a Poem,” a group show featuring the work of Nicholas Frank, Lauren Fueyo and Nyeema Morgan; and “Dwell,” an installation of sculptures by Margie Glass Sula, through Dec. 30. Gallery hours are Thursday-Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m.
There’s also “The Art of Seeing,” featuring botanical boxes by Shilin Hora, at the Riverside Town Hall, 27 Riverside Road, through Dec. 31. Viewing hours are Monday-Thursday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Friday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Visit online for more.
- North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., presents Morning Munchkin Stories with Ms. Karen (child with adult) on Dec. 5 at 10:30 a.m., and Story Safari (child with adult) on Dec. 7 at 10:30 a.m. Register for programs online.
- Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., presents Chair Yoga (virtual) on Dec. 1 at 11 a.m., Legotastic Saturday on Dec. 3 from 10:30 a.m. to noon, Chair Zumba on Dec. 5 at noon, Cards & Coffee on Dec. 6 at 10:30 a.m. and Family Fun Story Night on Dec. 7 at 6:30 p.m. Call 708-485-6917 or visit online to register for programs.
- Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, presents Saturday Sensory Storytime on Dec. 3 from 10 a.m.; Mini-Movers Storytimes on Dec. 5 at 9:30 a.m. and 10:15 a.m.; and Little Hands Activity Time on Dec. 6 at 9:30 a.m. To register for programs, visit online.
- The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo the second Sunday of every month. Doors open at 1 p.m. and games start at 2 p.m. with cash payouts.