The Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office denied a request by Brookfield police for a warrant to search a residence in the 4400 block of Vernon Avenue on Dec. 9, saying police did not have enough evidence that anyone in the residence was responsible for firing more than a dozen gunshots outside of it at 10:55 p.m. that night.

Officers from Brookfield and other agencies responded to the vicinity of Vernon and Gerritsen avenues after several residents of the neighborhood called 911 to report hearing several gunshots.

In the wake of the gunfire, one witness reportedly saw a man wearing gray or white sweatpants running northbound on Vernon Avenue and entering a home on Vernon Avenue just north of Gerritsen.

Police reported recovering 16 shell casings, described as 9 mm Luger rounds, from the lawn area near the southeast corner of the intersection. There were no reports of any person or object being struck by a bullet.

An officer wielding a ballistic shield approached the residence into which the man had been seen entering, but those inside were uncooperative, according to police. Because the witness did not report seeing the man firing or carrying a gun or give any other description beyond the color of the pants he was wearing, the state’s attorney’s office denied police a search warrant.

Attempted commercial burglary

North Riverside police responded to Lacey’s Place, a video gambling parlor at 8415 Cermak Road, on Dec. 6 just after 2:30 a.m. for an activated burglar alarm. Officers arriving at the scene reported that the glass front entrance had been broken but did not appear to be open.

A witness reportedly told police that he observed a man wearing a backpack leave the parking lot and walk into a nearby alley, heading westbound. Police searched the area without success.

The damage on the door indicated someone had tried to pry it open, according to police. 

Car stolen in Brookfield recovered

  • A car stolen from a Brookfield parking lot overnight on Dec. 5-6 was recovered shortly before noon on Dec. 6 parked on a Berwyn street.

The victim called police on Dec. 6 at about 10:20 a.m. to report that her 2018 Hyundai Tucson had been stolen overnight from a parking stall behind a building in the 9000 block of 31st Street.

Police reported that there was glass on the ground, indicating the thief broke out the rear passenger side window to gain entry. Using GPS technology, police were able to locate the vehicle’s location on Dec. 6 in the 1200 block of Kenilworth Avenue in Berwyn.

According to police, the car’s steering column had been peeled so it could be started using a USB adaptor, which police recovered from the center console.

  • Car thieves struck twice in North Riverside last week in the 2300 block of 15th Avenue, damaging one vehicle in an unsuccessful attempt and stealing another overnight on Dec. 4-5.

Police responded to the block at about 7:30 a.m. after getting a call from the victim of the attempted theft. According to police, the targeted vehicle was a Hyundai Elantra whose rear passenger window had been broken out. The steering column had been peeled and items from the vehicle had been strewn about inside and outside.

Meanwhile, another resident of the block reported that his Hyundai Elantra, which was parked in front of his residence, had been stolen overnight. There was broken glass on the parkway next to where the vehicle had been parked.

Chicago police located the vehicle shortly after it was entered into a police database as stolen and was recovered.

  • North Riverside police responded to 23rd Street just west of First Avenue on Dec. 7 at about 6:30 a.m. after a witness called to report that someone had attempted to steal a Dodge Charger.

The witness told police he observed a man wearing a hoodie with the hood up running away from the scene. According to police, the rear driver’s side of the vehicle was smashed out and the steering column had been peeled.

The owner of told police that the car has a kill switch that does not allow it to start without a key. The witness told police he heard the sound of breaking glass and looked outside to see a man wearing a gray hoodie exiting the driver’s side of the car. The man then ran across the street and entered another vehicle, which sped off toward First Avenue.

Bank account drained

A Brookfield man called police on Dec. 6 to report that he was the victim of bank fraud.

The victim told police that he’d had a similar experience eight months ago while banking with the same institution. In this case, on Dec. 5 someone made four transactions, where $16,500 was transferred from his saving account to his checking account and then withdrawn via cashier’s checks at multiple bank branches in Wisconsin.

According to police, the victim informed the bank, which had begun “corrective action.”

Christmas decorations damaged again

A resident of the 3900 block of Oak Avenue, Brookfield, called police on Dec. 10 to report that for the second time in two months, someone had damaged Christmas decorations outside her home.

As with an incident reported in November, the offender cut the cord on the decorations with a sharp instrument.

These items were obtained from police reports filed by the Riverside, North Riverside and Brookfield police departments, Dec. 5-11, and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Unless otherwise indicated, anybody named in these reports has only been charged with a crime. These cases have not been adjudicated.

— Compiled by Bob Uphues