Preservation presentation at FLOS annual meeting
The public is invited to the annual meeting of the Frederick Law Olmsted Society on Jan. 20 at 7 p.m. at the Riverside train station, 90 Bloomingbank Road.
A membership table will be available for anyone wishing to join or renew, and after the meeting and installation of new officers, the society will present Riverside residents Serge Ambrose and Michelangelo Sabatino with their 2022 Preservation Award.
Afterward the couple will present “Modern Again! The Benda House & Garden in Riverside 1938-2022,” sharing their journey to restore their home’s original modern atmosphere and add a garden that re-establishes the relationship between nature and modern architecture.
Jazz at Emmanuel Episcopal
Enjoy an evening of jazz on Jan. 20 at 7:30 p.m. when Emmanuel Episcopal Church, 203 S. Kensington Ave. in LaGrange, continues its Sounds in the Sanctuary Series with The Geof Bradfield Quintet.
A saxophonist, Bradfield embraces intersections of modern jazz and other streams of African diaspora music. The Lyons Township High School Big Band, led by Mark Dahl, opens the show.
Tickets for adults are $20 online and $25 at the door. Tickets for those ages 5-18 are $10 online and at the door. Visit emmanuel-lagrange.org/music_events for tickets.
BEDS Plus hosts in-person Soup & Bread
Soup & Bread, which has been the signature annual fundraising event for BEDS Plus since 2012, will return to its in-person roots after a virtual event in 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Join them on Feb. 5 from 3 to 7 p.m. at the Holiday Inn Banquet Center, 6201 Joliet Road in Countryside, where 20 soups will be available to sample from restaurants including Black Oak Tavern, Kama Bistro, Irish Times and The Elm. There will also be craft beer from BuckleDown Brewery and live music.
Tickets are $25. Kids under 12 are free. Buy tickets by visiting beds-plus.org/ways-you-can-help/soup-bread-2023.
Chili Cookoff at Sokol Spirit
Sokol Spirit, 3909 Prairie Ave. in Brookfield, will host a Chili Cookoff in their lower hall during their monthly World Beer Club meeting on Jan. 20 at 8 p.m.
Bring your favorite chili to share or just come to sample. Visit sokolspirit.org for more.
Register for Family Game
North Riverside Parks and Recreation invites you to roll over to the Village Commons, 2401 Desplaines Ave., on Feb. 3 from 6 to 8 p.m. for its Family Game Night.
There will be a variety of games for you and your family to play, along with snacks and drinks for purchase.
Registration ($25 per family) is required. Call 708-442-5515 or email to recreation@northriverside–il.org.
- Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., presents artist Bobbi Meier’s show “Imperfect Rituals” through Feb. 18. Gallery hours are Thursday-Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m.
There’s also “Mujer Quetzalcoatl” featuring the work of Alex Velazquez Brightbill, through March 30 in the lobby of the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road in Riverside. Viewing hours are Monday-Thursday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Friday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., presents After School Art Escape (child with adult) on Jan. 19 at 4 p.m., iPhone and iPad Basics on Jan. 19 at 2 p.m., Lego Club on Jan. 20 at 4 p.m., Build Your Own Robot (grades 6-12) on Jan. 21 at 1:30 p.m., Morning Munchkin Stories with Miss Karen on Jan. 23 at 10:30 a.m., Chair Yoga on Jan. 23 at 6:30 p.m. and Story Safari (child with adult) on Jan. 25 at 10:30 a.m. Register for programs online.
- Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., presents Fairytale Storytime on Jan. 19 at 10:30 a.m., Chair Zumba on Jan. 20 at 1:30 p.m., an Anatomy of a Movie screening and discussion of “The Punch & Judy Man” with Ian Tiele and Marty Blank on Jan. 21 at 1 p.m., Chair Yoga (virtual) on Jan. 23 at 11 a.m. and Family Fun Story Night on Jan. 25 at 6:30 p.m. Call 708-485-6917 or visit online to register for programs.
- Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, presents a Chess Meet Up (grades K-8) on Jan. 19 at 4 p.m., Friday Storytimes (all ages) on Jan. 20 at 9:30 and 10:15 a.m., a Medicare Information Seminar on Jan. 21 at 10:30 a.m., Mini-Movers Storytime (3-under with caregiver) on Jan. 23 at 9:30 and 10:15 a.m., Knitting Crochet and Needlework Group (ages 13+) on Jan. 23 at 7 p.m. and All in the Family Genealogy Club: Using Social Media on Jan. 24 at 7 p.m. To register for programs, visit online.
- The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo the second Sunday of every month. Doors open at 1 p.m. and games start at 2 p.m. with cash payouts.