Lunar New Year dance performance
North Riverside Park Mall, 7501 Cermak Road, welcomes the Year of the Rabbit with a special Lunar New Year live performance by the Yin He Dance Company of Chicago on Jan. 28 from 11 a.m. to noon in the lower-level center court.
Yin He Dance Company, which presents folkloric, classical and contemporary Chinese dance, will present a special Lion Dance as part of the performance. Visit northriversideparkmall.com for more.
Radio Players recreate classic shows
The Riverside Township Radio Players will recreate two more shows from the Golden Age of Radio on Jan. 27 at 7:30 p.m. in the auditorium of the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road in Riverside.
This month, the troupe performs “The Adventure of the Singing Rat” from the detective series “The Adventures of Ellery Queen” and the comedy offering “Lion Hunting” from “The Abbott and Costello Show.”
Free and open to the public. Visit riversidetownshipradioplayers.com for more.
Chicago Portage lecture series returns
After a two-year hiatus, the Friends of the Chicago Portage are back with their 2023 Lecture Series, which kicks off Jan. 28 at 1 p.m. at the Lyons Public Library, 4209 Joliet Ave.
John Langer and Gary Mechanic present “Jolliet and Marquette’s Discovery of Chicago,” detailing the explorers’ lives and travels while celebrating the 350th anniversary of their epic journey of discovery.
Free and open to the public.
The creativity of Walt Disney
Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., invites you to enjoy a portrait of the famed film and animation innovator Walt Disney during “Walt Disney: Creativity Frame by Frame” on Jan. 30 at 7 p.m. in Meeting Room 1.
Presenter Bob Burton will share personal insights from Disney’s friends, family and colleagues and supplement them with clips from some of Disney’s finest productions.
Register to attend by calling 708-485-6917, ext. 130 or online.
Pancake Breakfast at Sokol Spirit
Sokol Spirit, 3909 Prairie Ave. in Brookfield, invites you for an all-you-can-eat Pancake Breakfast on Jan. 29 from 7:30 to 11 a.m.
Tickets are $10 for adults ($5 for kids 12-under) and include pancakes, sausages, eggs, coffee, juice and more.
- Theatre of Western Springs, 4384 Hampton Ave., presents “The Father,” a psychological drama by Florian Zeller and directed by Greg Kolack, from Jan. 26 through Feb. 5. Tickets are $27; $12 children and students. Call the box office at 708-246-3380 or visit theatrewesternsprings.com for tickets and show times.
- Soup & Bread, the signature annual fundraising event for BEDS Plus, returns Feb. 5 from 3 to 7 p.m. at the Holiday Inn Banquet Center, 6201 Joliet Road in Countryside. Twenty soups will be available to sample along with craft beer and live music. Tickets are $25. Kids under 12 free. Visit beds-plus.org/ways-you-can-help/soup-bread-2023.
- Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., presents artist Bobbi Meier’s show “Imperfect Rituals” through Feb. 18. Gallery hours are Thursday-Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m.
There’s also “Mujer Quetzalcoatl” featuring the work of Alex Velazquez Brightbill, through March 30 in the lobby of the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road in Riverside. Viewing hours are Monday-Thursday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Friday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., presents After School Art Escape (child with adult) on Jan. 26 at 4 p.m., Crafterdarks: Mixed Media Card on Jan. 26 at 6 p.m., a Club de Lectura discussion about “El Italiano” by Arturo Perez-Reverte on Jan. 27 at 10:30 a.m., Calming Craft for Kids (child with adult) on Jan. 27 at 4 p.m., Family Movie Matinee screening of “Clifford the Big Red Dog” on Jan. 28 at 1 p.m., Video Game Tournament for kids in grades 6-12 on Jan. 28 from 1:30 to 3 p.m., Morning Munchkin Stories with Miss Karen on Jan. 30 at 10:30 a.m. and Story Safari (child with adult) on Feb. 1 at 10:30 a.m. Register for programs online at northriversidelibrary.org/events-new.
- Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., presents Fairytale Storytime on Jan. 26 at 10:30 a.m., a Brookfield Garden Club meeting on Jan. 28 at 10 a.m., Hand Sewing Class: Needle Case on Jan. 28 at 3 p.m., Chair Yoga (virtual) on Jan. 30 at 11 a.m., Valentine’s Day Glowforge Creations on Jan. 31 at 7 p.m., and Family Fun Story Night on Feb. 1 at 6:30 p.m. Call 708-485-6917 or visit online at to register for programs.
- Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, presents All Ages Yoga Storytime (all ages) on Jan. 27 at 9:30 and 10:15 a.m., Mindfulness Together meditation with Gina Barsotti on Jan. 27 at 11 a.m., Legopalooza in the Program Room on Jan. 28 from 10 a.m. to noon, Mini-Movers Storytime (3-under with caregiver) on Jan. 30 at 9:30 and 10:15 a.m. and Little Hands Activity Time (best for ages 1-4) on Jan. 31 at 9:30 a.m. To register for programs, visit online.
- The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo the second Sunday of every month. Doors open at 1 p.m. and games start at 2 p.m. with cash payouts.