African Americans’ Music at the Movies
In honor of Black History Month, John LeGear examines some of the ways African American writers, musicians and performers have enriched the American experience during “African Americans’ Music at the Movies” on Feb. 27 at 1 p.m. in Meeting Room 1 of the Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave.
The 75-minute multimedia presentation will reveal perspectives you may not have considered before. A brief Q&A session follows the show.
Register to attend by calling 708-485-6917, ext. 130 or visiting brookfield.evanced.info/signup.
History of the Chicago Portage
Friends of the Chicago Portage continue their lecture series celebrating the 350th anniversary of Jolliet’s discovery of Chicago with the presentation “A History of the Chicago Portage” by Riverside author Ben Sells on Feb. 25 at 1 p.m. at the Lyons Public Library, 4209 Joliet Ave.
Sells, the author of “A History of the Chicago Portage: The Crossroads that Made Chicago and Helped Make America,” tells how a seven-mile stretch of marshland gave rise to the city of Chicago.
Free and open to the public. For more, visit chicagoportage.org.
AP Art Exhibition at RAC
Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., presents its 13th Annual Riverside-Brookfield High School Advanced Placement Art Exhibition from Feb. 24 through March 18 in the Freeark Gallery.
The group exhibition includes paintings, sculptures, drawings, photographs and more by students in their sophomore, junior and senior years. An opening reception is planned for Feb. 25 from 5 to 7 p.m.
Regular gallery hours are Thursday-Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m.
Radio Players recreate classic shows
The Riverside Township Radio Players perform two more classic shows from Radio’s Golden Age on Feb. 24 at 7:30 p.m. in the auditorium of the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road in Riverside.
The troupe will recreate the episode “Justice Wears and Blindfold” from “The Green Hornet” and “Dick Whittington and His Cat” from the show “Let’s Pretend.”
Free and open to the public. Visit riversidetownshipradioplayers.com for more.
Family Toy Sale
Brookfield Parks & Rec invites families to find deals on gently used toys, games and books during its Family Toy Sale on Feb. 25 from 9 to 11 a.m. in the lower-level recreation hall at the Brookfield Village Hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave.
Free admission for shoppers.
- Join troubadour Mark Dvorak once a month beginning Feb. 28 at 10 a.m. as Loca Mocha, inside the Metra station at 8858 Burlington Ave. in Brookfield, resumes its Morning Coffee House series. No admission charge; donations accepted. Books and CDs available for purchase.
- Nazareth Academy, 1209 W. Ogden Ave. in LaGrange Park, hosts its Spring Choir Concert featuring traditional and contemporary choral selections on March 1 at 7 p.m. in the Alexine Chapel. Free.
- Riverside School District 96 will host a virtual kindergarten information program on March 2 at 6 p.m. If your child will be 5 years old before Sept. 1 you are invited to attend. Visit district96.org for details.
- Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., hosts Creativity Fest every Saturday in February from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., featuring creative projects, activities and workshops for all ages Suggested donation of $10 per person each day at the door. Visit riversideartscenter.com for more.
- Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., presents “Mujer Quetzalcoatl” featuring the work of Alex Velazquez Brightbill, through March 30 in the lobby of the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road in Riverside. Viewing hours are Monday-Thursday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Friday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., presents After School Art Escape (child with adult) on Feb. 23 at 4 p.m., Crafterdarks: Lucky Banner Garland on Feb. 23 at 6 p.m., a Club de Lectura discussion of “La Buena Suerte” by Rosa Montero on Feb. 24 at 10:30 a.m., Calming Craft for Kids (child with adult) on Feb. 24 at 4 p.m., a Family Movie Matinee screening of “Spies in Disguise” on Feb. 25 at 1 p.m., Morning Munchkin Stories with Miss Karen on Feb. 27 at 10:30 a.m., and a Koko’s Film Club screening of “Mr. Malcolm’s List” on Feb. 28 at 2 p.m. Register for programs online.
- Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., presents Google Docs 101 on Feb. 23 at 7 p.m., Chair Zumba on Feb. 24 at 1:30 p.m., Embroidery Basics on Feb. 25 at 3:30 p.m., Chair Yoga (virtual) on Feb. 27 at 11 a.m., Cards & Coffee on Feb. 28 at 10:30 a.m. and Intro to Digitization on Feb. 28 at 7 p.m. Call 708-485-6917 or visit online to register for programs.
- Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, presents All Ages Yoga Storytimes (all ages) on Feb. 24 at 9:30 and 10:15 a.m., Mindfulness Together meditation on Feb. 24 at 11 a.m., Legopalooza on Feb. 25 from 10 a.m. to noon, Mini-Movers Storytime (3-under with caregiver) on Feb. 27 at 9:30 and 10:15 a.m., Knitting, Crochet and Needlework Group (ages 13+) on Feb. 27 at 7 p.m. and All in the Family Genealogy Program on Feb. 28 at 7 p.m. To register for programs, visit online.
- The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo the second Sunday of every month. Doors open at 1 p.m. and games start at 2 p.m. with cash payouts.