Tower Chorale presents Masterworks Concert
The Tower Chorale presents its annual Masterworks Concert, featuring Anton Bruckner’s “Mass No. 2 in E-minor,” on March 11 at 7:30 p.m. and March 12 at 3 p.m. at Emmanuel Episcopal Church, 203 S. Kensington Ave., LaGrange.
Commissioned in 1866 by the Archbishop of Linz for the dedication of the Votive Chapel of the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, the “Mass in E-minor” was composed for performance in open air with chorus, winds and brass.
Tickets are $25 for adults/$22 students and seniors. Purchase them at towerchorale.org/bruckner-mass-in-e-minor.
Riverside’s history and mysteries
Even before there was a “Riverside” as we know it, there were things and events happening on this strategically placed piece of ground and closely adjacent areas that affected two-thirds of North America.
On March 9 at 7 p.m. at the Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, join Jim Petrzilka for his presentation “Riverside: The History and Mysteries,” sponsored by the Frederick Law Olmsted Society, as he explores how what is now a National Historic Site came to be Riverside.
HCA hosts pancake breakfast
The Hollywood Citizens Association invites you to attend the organization’s annual Pancake Breakfast on March 11 from 8 to 11 a.m. at Hollywood House, 8434 Washington Ave. in Brookfield.
Tickets, $7 for adults and $5 for children 12-under, get you stack of pancakes, sausage, fruit and orange juice. Buy tickets at hollywoodcitizensassociation.org.
In addition, there will be a raffle including gifts and services from many local businesses. There will also be a membership table for those wishing to join the HCA or renew their memberships.
Women and automobile history
Join presenter Barbara Barrett as she celebrates the largely overlooked but important role of women in the history of the automobile during “Driving Forces: 100+ Years of Women Influencing, Buying, Designing and Driving Automobiles” on March 13 at 7 p.m. in the Meeting Room of the Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave.
The program will explore female automotive pioneers, including Alice Huyler Ramsey, the first woman to drive across the U.S.; Helene Rother, the first female designer at GM; Mary Barra, the first female CEO at GM; and many others.
Register online to attend.
Movies with Marty
Join film enthusiast Marty Blank for a screening of one of his favorite movies on March 11 at 1 p.m. at the Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield library, 3541 Park Ave. This week’s offering is a surprise, so stop by and find out.
Register online to attend.
- Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., presents the 13th Annual Riverside-Brookfield High School Advanced Placement Art Exhibition through March 18 in the Freeark Gallery. Open Thursday-Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m.
There’s also “Mujer Quetzalcoatl” featuring the work of Alex Velazquez Brightbill, through March 30 in the lobby of the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road in Riverside. Viewing hours are Monday-Thursday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Friday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., presents Intro to Gmail on March 9 at 2 p.m., Family Game Night on March 10 at 3:30 p.m., Morning Munchkin Stories with Ms. Karen on March 13 at 10:30 a.m., Stretching & Meditation on March 13 at 6 p.m. and a Veterans Healthcare Program on March 15 at 11 a.m. Register for programs online.
- Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., presents Fairytale Storytime on March 9 at 10:30 a.m., Yoga Storytime on March 10 at 1 p.m., Chair Yoga (virtual) on March 13 at 11 a.m., Cards & Coffee on March 14 at 10:30 a.m., Mixed Art Media St. Patrick’s Day Fun in the Maker Studio on March 15 at 6 p.m. and a Medicare Seminar on March 15 at 6:30 p.m. Call 708-485-6917 or visit online to register for programs.
- Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, presents Friday Storytimes (all ages) on March 10 at 9:30 and 10:15 a.m., Mindfulness Together meditation on March 10 at 11 a.m.; Family Playtime on March 11 from 10 a.m. to noon; Mini-Movers Storytime (3-under with caregiver) on March 13 at 9:30 and 10:15 a.m.; Knitting, Crochet and Needlework Group on March 13 at 7 p.m.; Little Hands Activity Time (best for kids 1-4) on March 14 at 9:30 a.m. and Crafternoons (grades 6-12) on March 15 at 4 p.m. To register for programs, visit online.
- The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo the second Sunday of every month. Doors open at 1 p.m. and games start at 2 p.m. with cash payouts.