Vivian Maier: Life and Afterlife
Join author Pamela Bannos as she discusses her critically acclaimed book “Vivian Maier: A Photographer’s Life and Afterlife” on May 15 at 7 p.m. in the Community Room of the Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road.
Bannos contrasts the mythology of Maier, an American street photographer whose vast body of work was discovered in 2007, as a “nanny servant” who moonlighted as a photographer with the artist who supported herself as a nanny.
Register to attend at riversidelibrary.org/events.
College Athlete Recruiting 101
The Riverside-Brookfield High School Athletic Department invites RBHS parents and aspiring college athletes to a College Recruiting Presentation in the Little Theater of the high school, 160 Ridgewood Road in Riverside, on May 18 at 7:15 p.m.
Todd Kelly of Kelly College Consulting will discuss the recruiting process, levels of play, social media awareness, questions to ask when on campus, current climate and trends, academic eligibility, financial aid, camps, showcases and more.
The one-hour presentation is free of charge.
Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., and Riverside Public Library invite you to join Illinois Libraries Present for a special virtual presentation “On Being Fabulous with Jonathan Van Ness and Kristi Yamaguchi” on May 17 at 7 p.m.
“Queer Eye” and “Getting Curious” star and ice skating superfan Jonathan Van Ness talks with his idol, Olympic gold medal-winning figure skater Kristi Yamaguchi about skating, style and more.
Get a link to the presentation through the Riverside Public Library website at riversidelibrary.org/events. LSF Brookfield Library offers a link via brookfield.evanced.info/signup or you can watch a livestream in the Meeting Room at the library.
North Riverside wants your recipes
North Riverside Parks & Recreation invites you to submit your favorite recipe for the special cookbook it’s compiling to help celebrate North Riverside’s 100th anniversary in 2024.
Send recipes and a photo, if you have one, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Add a note about yourself, how long you’ve lived in North Riverside, something about the recipe, who in the family made the recipe first, etc.
The deadline to submit is June 1. Call 708-442-5515 with questions.
- The Frederick Law Olmsted Society invites you to its next Landscape Workday on May 13 from 9 a.m. to noon at Scottswood Common. Come for as long as you like. Supervised children welcome. Service hour credits available. Bring work gloves and a bottle of water. All other supplies and snacks will be supplied. Look for the public works dump truck.
- Nazareth Academy, 1209 W. Ogden Ave. in LaGrange Park, hosts a Pops Choir Concert featuring the Concert Choir and Progressions on May 11 at 7 p.m. in the Alexine Chapel. Free.
- Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., presents “Everything Fades,” featuring the paintings of Natalie Shugailo at the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road in Riverside through June 30. The township hall is open Monday-Thursday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Friday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Visit riversideartscenter.com for more.
- North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., presents After School Art Escape (child with adult) on May 11 at 4 p.m., Lego Club (children 8-under w/adult) on May 12 at 4 p.m., Crafternoons: Tissue Paper Flowers on May 13 at 1:30 p.m.; Makerspace Fun (grades 6-12) on May 13 at 1:30 p.m., Morning Munchkin Stories with Ms. Karen on May 15 at 10:30 a.m., Safari ABCs (child with adult) on May 17 at 10:30 a.m. and Tai Chi on May 17 at 2:30 p.m. Register for programs online.
- Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., presents Animals Everywhere Storytime (all ages with caregiver) on May 11 at 10:30 a.m., State Rep. Rashid Mobile Office Hours on May 11 from 2 to 7 p.m., Maker Studio 101 on May 11 at 7 p.m., ESL Conversation Practice /Práctica de Conversación ESL on May 13 at 11 a.m., Grown-up Geek Lab: GlowForge Wind Chimes on May 13 at 2:30 p.m., Pajama Party Storytime on May 15 at 10:30 a.m. and Chair Yoga (virtual) on May 15 at 11 a.m. Call 708-485-6917 or visit online to register for programs.
- Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, presents Crafting at The Spot: Hanging Paper Flower Ball on May 11 at 7 p.m., Introduction to Vegetable Gardening at Riverside Community Garden (400 Nuttall Road) on May 11 at 6 p.m., Friday Outdoor Storytime on May 12 at 10 a.m., Mindfulness Together meditation on May 12 at 11 a.m. and Little Hands Activity Time (ages 1-4) on May 16 at 9:30 a.m. To register for programs, visit online.
- The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts its next bingo session on May 21. Doors open at 1 p.m. and games start at 2 p.m. with cash payouts.