Concerts in the park
North Riverside Parks & Rec continues its summer concert series on June 29 with the Motown, funk and soul of the Second Hand Soul Band, from 7 to 9 p.m. in Commons Park, 2401 Desplaines Ave. Bring chairs, blankets and friends to the free concert. No outside food/drink allowed. Concessions available for purchase. Concerts held indoors in case of inclement weather.
Brookfield continues its Summer Concert Series on June 30 at 7 p.m. Head to the bandshell in Kiwanis Park, Arden and Brookfield avenues, to catch 1950s/60s rock ‘n’ roll from The StingRays. Bring your coolers, blankets and chairs.
Farmers markets in full swing
The Brookfield Farmers Market takes place every Saturday from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. through Oct. 14 in the front and west parking lots of the Brookfield Village Hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave. Visit brookfieldfarmers.com for more information.
The Riverside Farmers Market takes place every Wednesday from 2:30 to 7 p.m. through Oct. 4 in Centennial Park, 10 Pine Ave., under the water tower in downtown Riverside.
In addition to fresh and prepared food, there is a rotating weekly Artisan Tent, live music and activities for children. More at facebook.com/Riverside.Farmers.Mkt.
Sidewalk chalk art event
Kids yearning to show off their creative sides, for all the world to see, can sign up for Chalk the Walk, a sidewalk chalk art event, to be held June 30 from 2 to 4 p.m. outside the Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave.
Each person who registers will be assigned a sidewalk square to decorate. To register, call 708-485-6917, visit the Youth Services desk or visit online.
Graphic Novel Book Club for kids
North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., invites kids ages 8-12 to join their new Graphic Novel Book Club, which meets at 3:30 p.m. on June 29, July 27 and Aug. 24.
Register in advance by calling 708-447-0869 (ext. 230), in person at the library or online to get your own copy of the book. The club will meet for activities and discussion of a new book each month.
Movie in the Park
The Park District of LaGrange hosts a Summer Movie in the Park screening of the 1993 coming-of-age favorite “The Sandlot,” starring James Earl Jones, Tom Guiry, Karen Allen and Denis Leary, on June 28 at Gordon Park, Ogden and Locust avenues in LaGrange.
The event is free and open to all ages. Bring your blankets or lawn chairs. The movie begins at dusk, about 8:30-8:45 p.m.
- Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., presents “Everything Fades,” featuring the paintings of Natalie Shugailo at the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road in Riverside through June 30. The township hall is open Monday-Thursday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Friday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Visit riversideartscenter.com for more.
- North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., presents Crafterdark: Scrap Fabric American Flag on June 29 at 6 p.m., Big and Little Storytime (children w/adult) on July 3 at 10:30 a.m. and Safari ABCs (child w/adult, every other week in Spanish) on July 5 at 10:30 a.m. Register for programs online.
- Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., presents Fairytale Storytime (all ages w/caregiver) on June 29 at 10:30 a.m., Craft Craze: Thumbprint Dandelions (grades 1-5) on June 29 at 4 p.m., Baby Playtime & Me (birth-23 months w/caregiver) on June 30 at 11 a.m., Book Babies (babies & caregivers) on July 3 at 10:30 a.m., Stories Galore (all ages) on July 5 at 10:30 a.m. and Senior Studio Hour (maker space) on July 5 at 3 p.m. Call 708-485-6917 or visit online to register for programs.
- Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, presents Mindful Chair Yoga on June 29 at 11 a.m., Boost Your Brain and Memory on June 29 at 6 p.m., Friday Outdoor Storytime on June 30 at 10 a.m. and Family Playtime on July 1 at 10 a.m. To register for programs, visit online.
- The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo the second Sunday of every month. Doors open at 1 p.m. and games start at 2 p.m. with cash payouts.