RAC unveils three new exhibitions
Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., invites you to an opening reception for three new exhibitions on July 9 from 3 to 6 p.m.
The annual Members’ Exhibition is on display in the Freeark Gallery while the 2023 Kids Show is in the FlexSpace Gallery. Both shows run through July 29. Gallery hours are Thursday-Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m.
There’s also a reception for “Summer, Joy and Harmony,” featuring large acrylic paintings by Joe Fournier at the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road, on July 9 from 3 to 6 p.m., with light refreshments served at RAC, 32 E. Quincy St. The exhibition continues in the lobby of the township hall through Sept. 29.
After the receptions, join RAC for a private happy hour at Quincy Street Distillery, 39 E. Quincy St.
Light Up the Night Ride
Cycle Brookfield invites you to join their special twilight slow roll, Light Up the Night, on July 7.
Meet at Compassion Factory, 9210 Broadway Ave., at 8 p.m. Ride starts at 8:30 p.m. and will travel at a leisurely pace through Brookfield for five miles. Prize for Best Light Bike, so light up your bike and wear a helmet. Family friendly, all rider levels welcome.
‘Dirty Dancing’ at Village Commons
Join North Riverside Parks & Rec for their Movie of the Month presentation of the 1987 favorite “Dirty Dancing” starring Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey on July 7 at 1 p.m. in the council room at the Village Commons, 2401 Desplaines Ave.
Admission, popcorn and refreshments are free, but you must reserve a seat by calling 708-442-5515.
Chicago and Radio’s Golden Age
Join radio host and “Nostalgia Digest” publisher Steve Darnall for “Windy City On Air: Chicago and the Golden Age of Radio” on July 12 at 7 p.m. at the North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave.
The program explores Chicago’s many groundbreaking contributions to the medium, including soap operas, morning radio shows and local legends.
Register to attend at northriversidelibrary.org/events-new.
- The Frederick Law Olmsted Society and village of Riverside will hold a Landscape Workday on July 8 from 9 a.m. to noon at Scottswood Common. Come for as long as you like. Supervised children welcome. Bring work gloves and a water bottle. All other supplies and snacks provided. Look for the public works dump truck.
- The Riverside Chess Club invites players of all skills and ages to meet for casual games at the Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, on Mondays from 5 to 7 p.m. Open to anyone. For more info email TheRiversideChessClub@gmail.com or visit facebook.com/TheRiversideChessClub.
- The Riverside Farmers Market operates each Wednesday through Oct. 4 from 2:30 to 7 p.m. in Centennial Park, at Forest Avenue and Longcommon Road. The Brookfield Farmers Market returns every Saturday through Oct. 14 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the parking lot of the Brookfield Village Hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave.
- North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., presents Baby and Me (4-24 months w/adult) on July 7 at 10:30 a.m., Lego Club (all ages) on July 7 at 4 p.m., Crafternoon: Citrus Slice Wristlets on July 8 at 1:30 p.m., Sewing 101 (grades 6-12) on July 8 at 1:30 p.m., Big and Little Storytime (children w/adult) on July 10 at 10:30 a.m., Stretching and Meditation on July 10 at 6 p.m., My First Storytime (4-24 months w/adult) on July 11 at 11 a.m. and Safari ABCs (child w/adult, every other week in Spanish) on July 12 at 10:30 a.m. Register for programs online.
- Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., presents Fairytale Storytime (all ages w/caregiver) on July 6 at 10:30 a.m., Chair Zumba on July 7 at 1:30 p.m., Legotastic Saturday on July 8 at 10:30 a.m., ESL Conversation Practice /Práctica de Conversación ESL on July 8 at 11 a.m., Book Babies (babies & caregivers) on July 10 at 10:30 a.m., Chair Yoga (virtual) on July 10 at 11 a.m., Rain Gardens: Community Panel on July 10 at 7 p.m.and a Film Discussion Series screening of the UK film “Sweetheart” on July 11 at 6:30 p.m. Call 708-485-6917 or visit online to register for programs.
- Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, presents Boost Your Brain and Memory on July 6 at 6 p.m., At The Spot: Decoupage Tile Coaster Making on July 6 at 7 p.m., Friday Outside Storytime on July 7 at 10 a.m., Mindfulness Together meditation on July 7 at 11 a.m., Legopalooza on July 8 at 10 a.m., Storytime in the Community Garden (400 Nuttall Road) on July 11 at 9 a.m. and Bingo (all ages) on July 12 at 11 a.m. To register for programs, visit online.
- The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo the second Sunday of every month. Doors open at 1 p.m. and games start at 2 p.m. with cash payouts.