Free outdoor concerts
North Riverside Parks & Rec continues its summer concert series on July 13 with iconic hits from the 1960s, ’70s and ’80s by Generations from 7 to 9 p.m. in Commons Park, 2401 Desplaines Ave. Bring your own chairs and blankets, but no outside food/drink is allowed. Concessions available for purchase. Concerts held indoors in case of inclement weather.
Brookfield continues its summer concert series on July 14 at 7 p.m. Head to the bandshell in Kiwanis Park, Arden and Brookfield avenues, to catch rock/pop sounds of Within 4 Days. Bring your coolers, blankets and chairs.
Movie in the Park
Brookfield Parks & Recreation invites you to bring your coolers, have a picnic and enjoy an evening under the stars at their next Outdoor Movie Night on July 15 at Ehlert Park, Elm and Congress Park avenues in Brookfield.
Activities start at 7 p.m., with the 2022 animated film “DC League of Super-Pets” starring the voices of Dwayne Johnson, Kevin Hart and Kate McKinnon, starting at dusk.
True Crime Club welcomes the FBI
The True Crime Club at the Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., will welcome two special agents from the FBI’s Evidence Response Team on July 12 at 7 p.m. in the lower-level meeting rooms.
ERTs are deployed to complex crime scenes and catastrophic world events to recover evidence. The special agents from the Chicago Field Office will discuss evidence collection procedures at a crime scene and answer questions.
Concerts for Conservation
Tickets are still available for Concerts for Conservation, which kick off at Brookfield Zoo, 8400 31st St. in Brookfield, on July 14 with Soul Asylum and special guests The Verve Pipe. The music continues July 15 with Macy Gray.
Guests are welcome to bring their own picnics (no outside alcohol), but food and beverages will be available for purchase. You can begin to reserve spots on the East Mall at 6 p.m. Performances begin at 7 p.m. Each night concludes with a 30-minute light show and dance party.
For ticket info visit CZS.org/ConcertsforConservation.
- Riverside native Joseph Baar Topinka will be signing copies of his book for young adults, “Just Judy: Citizen and Leader of Illinois,” about his mother, the late Judy Baar Topinka, on July 15 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Centuries & Sleuths Bookstore, 7419 Madison St. in Forest Park.
- Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., presents is annual Members’ Exhibition and Kids Show through July 29. Gallery hours are Thursday-Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m. There’s also “Summer, Joy and Harmony,” featuring paintings by Joe Fournier at the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road, through Sept. 29. Viewing hours are Monday-Thursday from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. and Friday from 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
- The Riverside Chess Club invites players of all skills and ages to meet for casual games at the Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, on Mondays from 5 to 7 p.m. Open to anyone. For more info email TheRiversideChessClub@gmail.com or visit facebook.com/TheRiversideChessClub.
- The Riverside Farmers Market operates each Wednesday through Oct. 4 from 2:30 to 7 p.m. in Centennial Park, at Forest Avenue and Longcommon Road. The Brookfield Farmers Market returns every Saturday through Oct. 14 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the parking lot of the Brookfield Village Hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave.
- North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., presents Art Adventures (age 2+ w/adult) on July 13 at 2 p.m., Big and Little Storytime (children w/adult) on July 17 at 10:30 a.m., Kids Kitchen (ages 8-12) on July 18 at 4 p.m., Safari ABCs (child w/adult, every other week in Spanish) on July 19 at 10:30 a.m., Tai Chi on July 19 at 2:30 p.m. and DIY Zines (grades 6-12) on July 19 at 5 p.m. Register for programs online.
- Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., presents Fairytale Storytime (all ages w/caregiver) on July 13 at 10:30 a.m., Representative Rashid: Mobile Office Hours on July 13 from 2-7 p.m., End of Life Options (Including Medical Aid in Dying) on July 14 at 10:30 a.m., a Movies with Marty screening of the 1956 classic “Storm Center,” starring Bette Davis on July 15 at 1 p.m., Chair Yoga (virtual) on July 17 at 11 a.m., Skywatchers of Ancient North America via Zoom on July 17 at 7 p.m., Storytime Stars (ages 2-3 w/caregiver)on July 18 at 10:30 a.m. and Teen Craft: Paint Your Own Birdhouse on July 19 at 3 p.m. Call 708-485-6917 or visit online to register for programs.
- Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, presents Mindful Chair Yoga on July 13 at 11 a.m., Smartphone Photography 101 with Molly Page on July 13 at 7 p.m., Friday Outside Storytime on July 14 at 10 a.m., Family Playtime on July 15 at 10 a.m. and an Outdoor Bubble Party on July 17 at11:30 a.m. To register for programs, visit online.
- The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo the second Sunday of every month. Doors open at 1 p.m. and games start at 2 p.m. with cash payouts.