Forest Preserves photo contest
The Forest Preserves of Cook County is accepting entries for its 2023 photo contest, ones that showcase the very best forest preserves landscapes – closeups of plants, insects, birds and other wildlife; pictures that highlight the seasons; and shots of people enjoying the outdoors or participating in recreational offerings, including photos taken at the Chicago Botanic Garden and Brookfield Zoo.
Fifteen winning photos will be featured in the 2024 Forest Preserves of Cook County calendar and on social media accounts. Twenty-four additional photos will be selected as runners-up.
True Crime Club examines crime scenes
What can a crime scene tell investigators about the psychology of a criminal, and how can they use that information to catch them?
Hannah Klein, assistant professor of justice, law and public safety studies at Lewis University, will join the True Crime Club at the Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., on Aug. 16 at 7 p.m. for “Crime Scenes and Criminal Psychology.”
Register to attend by visiting brookfield.evanced.info/signup.
Find your comic voice
Whether you’re interested in being a comic or simply comic-curious, learn some fundamentals of comedy writing and standup during “Finding Your Comic Voice” with special host Bill Gorgo on Aug. 10 at 5 p.m. at the North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave.
Register in person at the library, by calling 708-447-0869 or at northriversidelibrary.org/events.
Country rockers at Brookfield outdoor concert
Brookfield continues its Friday Night Concert Series on Aug. 11 at 7 p.m. at the bandshell in Kiwanis Park, Arden and Brookfield avenues.
This week, enjoy the high-energy country rock from New York-based Raquel and the Wildflowers. Bring your coolers, blankets and chairs.
Tom Petty laser light show
Rock out at the Triton College Cernan Earth and Space Center during the Tom Petty Cosmic Light Show on Aug. 12, 19 and 26 at 8:30 p.m. Triton College is at 2000 5th Ave. in River Grove.
The family friendly show incorporates laser light, thousands of stars and giant digital effects set to some of Tom Petty’s biggest hits, including “I Won’t Back Down,” “Refugee,” “Free Fallin’” and more.
Tickets are $10 ($5 for 55+ and kids 2-17) and can be purchased at the box office starting at 6:30 p.m. before each show. Triton students and faculty admitted free with ID.
- Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., presents “Summer, Joy and Harmony,” featuring paintings by Joe Fournier, at the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road, through Sept. 29. Viewing hours are Monday-Thursday from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. and Friday from 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
- The Riverside Chess Club invites players of all skills and ages to meet for casual games at the Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, on Mondays from 5 to 7 p.m. Open to anyone. For more info email TheRiversideChessClub@gmail.com or visit facebook.com/TheRiversideChessClub.
- The Riverside Farmers Market operates each Wednesday through Oct. 4 from 2:30 to 7 p.m. in Centennial Park, at Forest Avenue and Longcommon Road. The Brookfield Farmers Market returns every Saturday through Oct. 14 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the parking lot of the Brookfield Village Hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave.
- North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., invites you to Art Adventures (ages 2+ w/adult) on Aug. 10 at 2 p.m., Crafternoon: Chalkboard Accessories on Aug. 11 at 1:30 p.m., Big and Little Storytime (children w/adult) on Aug. 14 at 10:30 a.m., Stretching and Meditation on Aug. 14 at 6 p.m., Safari ABCs (child w/adult, every other week in Spanish) on Aug. 16 at 10:30 a.m. and Preschool Yoga and Storytime (ages 2-5 w/adult) on Aug. 16 at 1 p.m. Register for programs online.
- Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., presents Fairytale Storytime (all ages w/caregiver) on Aug. 10 at 10:30 a.m., Craft Craze: Yarn Wrapped Cats (grades 1-5) on Aug. 10 at 4 p.m., No Scrap Left Behind: DIY Planters for Small Space Gardening on Aug. 10 at 6 p.m., A Year of Slow Stitching on Aug. 12 at 2:30 p.m.., Chair Yoga (virtual) on Aug. 14 at 11 a.m., Movie Music Romance I with John LeGear on Aug. 14 at 7 p.m. and Maker Studio 101 on Aug. 15 at 7 p.m. Call 708-485-6917 or visit online to register for programs.
- Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, presents Mindful Chair Yoga on Aug. 10 at 11 a.m., At the Spot: ‘Cactus’ Rock Garden on Aug. 10 at 7 p.m., Friday Outside Storytime on Aug. 11 at 10 a.m., Mindfulness Together meditation on Aug. 11 at 11 a.m., At the Spot: Create with Cricut Mini-Camp (teen/adult) on Aug. 14 at 6:30 p.m. and Movie & Music: Elvis Presley by John LeGearon Aug. 16 at 7 p.m. To register for programs, visit online.
- The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo the second Sunday of every month. Doors open at 1 p.m. and games start at 2 p.m. with cash payouts.