Happy birthday Compassion Factory
Compassion Factory Art Gallery and Studio, 9210 Broadway Ave. in Brookfield, celebrates its first birthday this month with an Anniversary Art Show from Jan. 3-26.
The show will feature work of artists whose work was on exhibit during 2018, including Oscar Martinez, Brittany Hanks, Dirk Fletcher, Heidi Burtner, Don Widmer, Heather Kadlec and more.
An opening reception for the show will be held Friday, Jan. 4 from 7 to 10 p.m. Gallery hours are Thursday from 4 to 9 p.m. and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Admission is free.
Take charge of your health in 2019
North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., invites older adults to take part in the six-week course Take Charge of Your Health, beginning Thursday, Jan. 3 from 1 to 3:30 p.m.
The course provides self-management skills for older adults with an ongoing health condition and their caregivers. Funding provided in whole or part by AgeOptions.
To sign up, call 708-447-0869 or visit online at www.northriversidelibrary.org/events.
Artist talk at RAC
Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., closes out its latest exhibition, "While Here," a solo show of work by painter Kim Piotrowski, with a special artist talk, catalogue release and closing reception on Saturday, Jan. 5 from 3 to 5 p.m.
Piotrowski will talk about her work as an artist living and working in Riverside for the past 16 years. The work, which occupies both the Freeark Gallery and the FlexSpace Gallery, represents Piotrowski's artistic growth and her personal balancing act as an artists and parent.
Admission is free. Gallery hours are Tuesday-Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m.
It's a snap
North Riverside Parks and rec invites amateur shutterbugs of all ages to participate in its Winter Photo Contest.
Enter your favorite winter photo from this winter and have a chance to have it featured in the department's next Fun Guide and receive a copy of your photo on canvas. There will be a first-, second- and third-place winner.
The only catch is the photos has to be taken within one of North Riverside's parks. To enter, you have to follow the department in Facebook (www.facebook.com/NRRecreation) and post the photo under the events tab "Winter Photo Contest" with a description.
Winners will be chosen by Feb. 28.
Piano concert at Plymouth Place
Plymouth Place Senior Living, 315 N. LaGrange Road in LaGrange Park, hosts a concert by pianist Allison Wang on Thursday, Jan. 3 at 7:15 p.m. in Dole Hall.
The Roosevelt University grad is an accomplished accompanist who has played for the Joffrey Ballet, Hubbard Street Dance and more.
The concert is free and open to the public, but reservations are requested by calling 708-354-0340 or emailing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• North Riverside Parks and Rec invites kids ages 3-12 to participate in its Holly-Day Camp Jan. 2-4 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Come to the Village Commons, 2401 Desplaines Ave., and enjoy sports and games, arts and crafts, sweets and treats and music. There will be outdoor activities as well, so dress accordingly. Register for one or more dates. The cost is $25 ($27 non-resident) per day. Call 708-442-5515.
• Hitzeman Funeral Home, 9445 31st St. in Brookfield, will host the next of its monthly grief support gatherings on Jan. 8 from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. The theme of the gathering will be "Coping with Loss in the New Year." Seats are limited. RSVP by Jan. 4 to email@example.com or call 708-485-2000.
• The Riverside Township Lions Club is collecting unwanted Christmas lights for recycling. Lights can be dropped off at the Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, or the North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., during normal business hours through Jan. 15.
• Brookfield Public Library, 3609 Grand Blvd., presents Storytime with Dad on Jan. 5 at 10:30 a.m. Bring dad for stories, songs and fun activities. Register to attend by calling 708-485-6917 or visiting www.brookfieldlibrary.info.
• North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., hosts a Senior Drop-in on Jan. 4 from 10 a.m. to noon in the Meeting Room. Play cards and socialize every Friday. On Jan. 9 at 2 p.m. seniors with limited mobility can enjoy Move and Groove, stretching exercises to groovy music while sitting.
For adults, join the Coloring Club on Jan. 5 at 10:30 a.m. relax and let out your artistic side with the brand-new club for adults. Supplies and coffee provided. There's also Crafternoons: Make Old Fashioned Butter Mints on Jan. 5 at 1:30 p.m. and Unwind at the Library: Tai Chi on Jan. 7 at 6:30 p.m. To register for any of these senior or adult programs call 708-447-0869 or visit www.northriversidelibrary.org/events.
For kids, there's Lapsit Storytime (through age 5) on Jan. 3 at 10:30 a.m.; Messy Mornings for Munchkins (ages 2-5) on Jan. 8 at 10:30 a.m.; and Bilingual Storytime (ages 2-5) on Jan. 9 at 10:30 a.m.
• The community is invited through March 22, 2019, to jog, walk or run inside on the indoor track at the Lyons Township High School South Campus fieldhouse, 4900 S. Willow Springs Road in Western Springs, from 6 to 7 a.m. on days when school is in session. Free.
• The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo every Monday night. Doors open at 5 p.m. and games start at 7 p.m. minimum cash payout of $2,275 a night, plus pull tabs, lightning, tic-tac and raffles.