BEDS Plus fundraiser
BEDS Plus Care, a LaGrange-based nonprofit dedicated to helping end homelessness in southwest Cook County, hosts its 7th Annual Soup and Bread fundraiser to support their emergency overnight homeless shelter services on Sunday, Jan. 27 from 3 to 7 p.m. at Holiday Inn William Tell Banquets, 9201 Joliet Road in Countryside.
Join them for a cozy, family-friendly gathering featuring live music, a variety of craft beers and great local food. Tickets are $25 per person (kids under 12 free). To buy tickets visit online at www.beds-plus.org/soup--bread-event.html.
Call 708-354-0858 for more info.
Brookfield Chamber Holiday Party
Brookfield Chamber of Commerce invites the public to join them at their better-late-than-never Chamber Holiday Party on Thursday, Jan. 24 at Irish Times, 8869 Burlington Ave. in Brookfield.
The event starts at 5:30 p.m. Enjoy some holiday cocktails at the cash bar along with free appetizers provided by the Chamber and local businesses. The Chamber will install its 2019 officers at the event as well.
Visit the Chamber's Facebook page at www.facebook.com/BrookfieldIllinois for more info.
Taste of St. Barbara's
St. Barbara Parish will host its 2nd Annual Multicultural Taste of St. Barbara on Saturday, Jan. 26 from 6 to 9 p.m. in the Parish Center, 4015 Prairie Ave.
Samples of food from around the world made by St. Barbara parishioners will be available to all who attend. Admission is free. Food and drink tickets will be available for purchase at the door.
In addition, there will be a raffle of gift baskets, a "wooden spoon" raffle and a chance for attendees to vote on their favorite booth and food. Proceeds will help support parish ministries.
Getting the Wrights right
Join author William Hazelgrove as he presents the true story of the Wright Brothers and their famous flights at Kitty Hawk at the Brookfield Public Library, 3609 Grand Blvd., on Monday, Jan. 28 at 7 p.m.
Register to attend by calling 708-485-6917 or visiting www.brookfieldlibrary.info.
Star Wars + Pancakes
St. Louise de Marillac School, 1125 Harrison Ave. in LaGrange Park, hosts a Star Wars Pancake Breakfast – a traditional pancake breakfast with a Star Wars theme – on Sunday, Jan. 27 from 8 to 11 a.m.
Tickets are $5 per person or $20 for a family of four or more. Enjoy pancakes, sausages, orange juice, fresh fruit, coffee and milk. Come in full Star Wars costume and get $1 off your ticket.
• Aging Care Connections hosts a free nine-month Memory Café program January through September on the second Friday of each month from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Young at Heart Adult Day Services Center, 6504 Joliet Road in Countryside and the third Tuesday of each month at Salerno's Pizzeria & Sports Bar, 9301 W. 63rd St. in Hodgkins. Call 708-354-1323 for more information.
• Riverside-Brookfield High School, 160 Ridgewood Road in Riverside, hosts Water Exercise Techniques (WET), an adult level fitness class on Wednesday nights from Jan. 23 through March 20 at 7:30 p.m. No swimming involved. $54 for nine classes. Email Noelle at firstname.lastname@example.org for info.
• Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., presents "Natural Deceptions," the first solo exhibition in the Chicago area by Seattle-based photographer Natalie Krick, through Feb. 16. Inspired by magazine spreads and celebrity pinups, the show is a biting yet witty sendup of popular portrayals of feminine beauty and sexuality. Admission is free. Gallery hours are Tues.-Sat. from 1 to 5 p.m.
• Theater of Western Springs, 4384 Hampton Ave., presents "The Tin Woman" through Jan. 27. The play tells the deeply touching story of a woman saved by a heart transplant, who meets her donor's family with unpredictable results. Tickets are $21 and $23. For show times and ticket information, visit online at www.theatrewesternsprings.com or call the box office at 708-246-3380.
• Compassion Factory Art Gallery and Studio, 9210 Broadway Ave. in Brookfield, celebrates its first birthday this month with an Anniversary Art Show through Jan. 26. Gallery hours are Thursday from 4 to 9 p.m. and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Admission is free.
• North Riverside Parks and Rec invites all ages to participate in its Winter Photo Contest. Take a photo in one of the village's parks this winter and have a chance to have it featured in the department's next Fun Guide and receive a copy of your photo on canvas. To enter, follow the department on Facebook (www.facebook.com/NRRecreation) and post the photo under the events tab "Winter Photo Contest" with a description. Winners chosen by Feb. 28.
• Brookfield Public Library, 3609 Grand Blvd., hosts a Retirement Tax Planning presentation with Greg Kurinec of Bentron Financial on Jan. 24 at 7 p.m. and a Medicare Seminar by Access Benefit Plan Consultants on Jan. 26 at 10:30 a.m. Register to attend by calling 708-485-6917 or visiting www.brookfieldlibrary.info.
• North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., hosts a Senior Drop-in on Jan. 25 from 10 a.m. to noon in the Meeting Room. Play cards and socialize every Friday.
Also for seniors, win prizes while playing bingo and exercising during a new Bingocize program on Jan. 30 at 2 p.m. The program is funded by Age Options.
For adults, there's Medical Cannabis and CBD Oil on Jan. 24 from 6-7 p.m.; a new Spanish Language Book Club on Jan. 25 at 10:30 a.m.; and Unwind at the Library: Meditation & Stretching on Jan. 28 at 6:30 p.m. To RSVP for senior and adult programs, call 708-447-0869 or visit www.northriversidelibrary.org/events.
For kids, there's Lapsit Storytime (through age 5) on Jan. 24 at 10:30 a.m.; Messy Mornings for Munchkins (ages 2-5) on Jan. 29 at 10:30 a.m.; Pajama Storytime (all ages with adult) on Jan. 29 at 6:30 p.m.; Bilingual Storytime (ages 2-5) on Jan. 30 at 10:30 a.m.; Love2Read (grades K-1) on Jan. 26 at 2 p.m.; Do-it-Yourself Craft Hour (grades 2 ) on Jan. 25 at 4 p.m.; and DIY Marshmallow Catapults (grades 6-12) on Jan. 26 from 1-3 p.m.
• The community is invited through March 22, 2019, to jog, walk or run inside on the indoor track at the Lyons Township High School South Campus fieldhouse, 4900 S. Willow Springs Road in Western Springs, from 6 to 7 a.m. on days when school is in session. Free.
• The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo every Monday night. Doors open at 5 p.m. and games start at 7 p.m. minimum cash payout of $2,275 a night, plus pull tabs, lightning, tic-tac and raffles.