Kids and social media
The PTA and PTO groups of Riverside School District 96 invite the community to a talk by award-winning author Carrie Goldman on "Social Media and Risky behaviors: How to Make Better Choices" on Wednesday, Oct. 10 at 7 p.m. at Hauser Junior High School, 65 Woodside Road in Riverside.
Goldman will address the tricky topic of dealing with kids and the impulsive decisions they make using social media.
RSVP for the presentation online at bit.ly/d96rsvp.
Fall Fest at Sts. Peter and Paul
Sts. Peter and Paul Lutheran Church, 250 Woodside Road in Riverside, will host its Fall Fest Rummage and Bake Sale on Saturday, Oct. 6 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
The sale features home-baked goods, taffy apples, homemade salsa, greeting cards, used toys and books, holiday decorations and more. Rummage half-price between 2 and 3 p.m.
The kitchen opens at 9 a.m. with lunch (hot dogs, polish sausage, potato pancakes and zucchini soup) served between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.
Blythe Park PTA hosts standup comic
The Blythe Park School PTA will host an Adult Night Out fundraiser featuring standup comedian Jim Flannigan on Friday, Oct. 19 at the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road in Riverside.
Doors open at 7 p.m., with the show beginning at 8:30 p.m. Tickets are $25 each and the event is open to the public. $4 glasses of beer or wine will be available for purchase. There will also be a 50/50 raffle.
Buy tickets online at my.cheddarup.com/c/stand-up-comedian-jim-flanagan-2018.
Medicare for All presentation
The League of Women Voters of the LaGrange Area are sponsoring the presentation "Medicare for All" by Dr. John Perryman, on Wednesday, Oct. 10 at 7 p.m. at the LaGrange Park Public Library, 555 N. LaGrange Road.
Dr. Perryman, a pediatrician and co-president of Physicians for a National Health program in northern Illinois, will present information on Medicare for All and will take questions at the end.
The event is free and open to the public. For more information, email to email@example.com.
Wednesday Movie Matinee
North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., continues its Wednesday Movie Matinee series on Oct. 3 at 2 p.m. with a screening of the 1987 film "Moonstruck, featuring Cher and Nicolas Cage.
Free, Drop-in only. For more information, call 708-447-0869.
Get ready for the Great Pumpkin Challenge
Register for your spot in the Great Pumpkin Challenge, hosted by North Riverside Parks and Recreation, on Oct. 24 from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at the Village Commons, 2401 Desplaines Ave.
Register ($3 per person) by Oct. 12 by calling 708-442-5515.
Meet at the Village Commons to decorate delicious "pumpkins" and enjoy entertainment from the Mad Twister. Afterward, participants will head outside to Commons Park Hill for a flashlight pumpkin hunt. Bring your flashlights.
Chicago Portage tour
Friends of the Chicago Portage will hold their next walking tour of the Chicago Portage National Historic Site, 4800 S. Harlem Ave., on Saturday, Oct. 6 from 10 a.m. to noon.
Tour guide Gary Mechanic will explore Chicago's "birth Story" from the geological beginnings – you'll see the exact site where the ancient Chicago River joined the ancient Des Plaines -- to how the portage functions today. The tour is about a half-mile on a gravel path through the woods. Wear long pants and walking shoes or boots.
The free tour steps off rain or shine. Meet by the statue of Marquette, Joliet and their Native American guide, on the west side of Harlem Avenue, two blocks north of I-55.
• Pace and the Regional Transportation Authority (RTA) will host a public open house on Oct. 4 from 6 to 8 p.m. regarding the Central Harlem Avenue Corridor Study at the Oak Park Library, 834 Lake St. Review information about the project, including potential station location options for future Pace Pulse service.
• The Riverside-Brookfield High School Class of 1973 will host its 45th year reunion on Oct. 20 at 7 p.m. at Irish Times, 8869 Burlington Ave. in Brookfield. Tickets are $25, appetizers included. For information, email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Hitzeman Funeral Home, 9445 31st St. in Brookfield, will host the next of its monthly grief support gatherings on Oct. 9 from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. The theme of the gathering will be "Grief Resources." Learn about books, blogs and support groups available to help. Seats are limited. RSVP by Oct. 5 to email@example.com or call 708-485-2000.
• The Brookfield Chamber of Commerce will hold will hold its next 60-to-Win prize drawing on Oct. 4 at 4:30 p.m. at Joe's Saloon, 9220 47th St. in Brookfield. Winner need not be present.
• Compassion Factory Art Gallery and Studio, 9210 Broadway Ave. in Brookfield, presents "Watercolor in Print," featuring the work of three artists -- Pete Rangel, Kerry Lange and Naomi Zagt through Oct. 20. Free. Gallery hours are Thursdays from 4 to 9 p.m., Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and first Fridays from 7 to 10 p.m.
• Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., hosts an artists' talk and closing reception on Oct. 6 at 3 p.m., for its two-person show of sculpture and installations by Indira Freitas Johnson and Garland Martin Taylor. Free. Gallery hours are Tuesday-Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m.
• The Riverside's Farmers Market continues every Wednesday from 2:30 to 7 p.m. through Oct. 10, in Centennial Park, 10 Pine Ave. Weekly scavenger hunt for kids, live music and more.
• The Brookfield Farmers Market is held every Saturday from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. through Oct. 13 in the parking lot of the village hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave. Weekly special events and live music.
• Brookfield Public Library, 3609 Grand Blvd., hosts a Book Fiesta on Oct. 6 at 2 p.m. Join Senorita Christal for a morning of stories and songs in Spanish. On Oct. 9 at 4 p.m. wear your mad scientist hat and join in at Experimentos & Español, science experiments in Spanish. For grades K-up. Register by calling 708-485-6917, ext. 140 or online at www.brookfieldlibrary.info.
• North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., hosts a Senior Drop-in on Oct. 5 from 10 a.m. to noon in the Meeting Room. Play cards and socialize every Friday. For adults, there's Medicare 101, a seminar where you can learn about various plans, supplemental coverage, enrollment periods and more on Oct. 10 at 2 p.m.; Forest Preserve Stewardship with Brookfield Woods site steward Iza Redlinski on Oct. 4 at 6 p.m.; and Fall Watercolors with Renee Leone on Oct. 6 at 1:30 p.m. To sign for the adult programs, call 708-447-0869.
For kids, there's Lapsit Storytime (toddlers thru 5) on Oct. 4 at 10:30 a.m.; Messy Mornings for Munchkins (ages 2-5) on Oct. 9 at 10:30 a.m.; Bilingual Storytime (ages 2-5) on Oct. 10 at 10:30 a.m.; and Love2Read (grades K-1) on Oct. 6 at 2 p.m.
• The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo every Monday night. Doors open at 5 p.m. and games start at 7 p.m. minimum cash payout of $2,275 a night, plus pull tabs, lightning, tic-tac and raffles.