Tree planting project returns
Volunteers are needed for the 11th Annual 1,000 Tree Planting Project, which will happen Saturday, Nov. 18 from 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. along the wooded areas of the Des Plaines River in Riverside.
Tom Sisulak, the organizer of the event, will host a pre-planting seminar at 10 a.m. in the auditorium of the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road, where participants will be taught how to plant seeds, use the provided tools and get a history lesson on Native Americans in Riverside.
Teams will then be deployed to the areas along the river at 11:30 a.m. At 3:30 p.m., volunteers can bring the tools back to the Scout Cabin, where a hot meal, along with coffee, hot chocolate and dessert with be provided. Remember to wear warm winter clothing.
Movie night at Scottish Home
Caledonia Senior Living and Memory Care, 2800 Desplaines Ave., continues its Scottish American Forum Movie Night on Nov. 21 with a screening of the 1946 film The Green Years, starring Charles Coburn and Hume Cronyn.
The event takes place in the Heritage Hall of the Scottish Home, starting with a light supper at 6 p.m. The movie begins at 6:30 p.m. The movie is free to attend, but donations are welcome.
RSVP by calling 708-447-5092.
Mater Christi Turkey Shoot
The Mater Christi Holy Name Society will host its annual Turkey Shoot on Sunday, Nov. 19 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. in Menarik Hall of Mater Christi School, 2400 10th Ave. in North Riverside.
Turkeys will be raffled off every five minutes. Ham, prasky, kolacky and other items are available to win. Split the pot and pull tabs with cash prizes will be available.
Hot dogs, chips, pumpkin pie, ice cream, beer, wine, soda and coffee will be available for purchase. TVs will be tuned to NFL action. There will also be a Fun Fair for kids. Call 708-442-5611 for more info.
Radio Players present Hollywood
Riverside Township Radio Players present a one-hour performance recreating the Golden Age of Radio on Friday, Nov. 17 at 7:30 p.m. in the auditorium of the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road in Riverside.
The troupe will perform an adaptation of the movie "Mrs. Moonlight" from the Lux Radio Theater. The event is free to attend. For more information visit www.riversidetownshipradioplayers.com.
Meet Hamilton's women
Join actress and scholar Leslie Goddard as she introduces you to the women behind Alexander Hamilton in the living history presentation "Hamilton's Women" on Wednesday, Nov. 15 at 6:30 p.m. at the North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave.
Meet the sisters who captivated Hamilton, including his wife, Elizabeth; and her sisters Angelica Schuyler Church and Peggy Schuyler van Rensselaer. Goddard brings each woman to life.
Register to attend online at www.northriversidelibrary.org/events or call 708-447-0869.
• For the month of November officers from the Brookfield Police Department will be growing beards to raise money and show support for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. Show your support for both the police department and St. Jude's by donating to the Beards and Badges effort at fundraising.stjude.org/brookfieldPDbnb.
• The Frederick Law Olmsted Society will host its next landscape workday on Nov. 18 from 9 a.m. to noon at Big Ball Park (Delaplaine and Longcommon), where volunteers will be mulching. Bring your favorite work gloves and water bottle. All other supplies and snacks provided. Look for the Riverside Public Works dump truck.
• Brookfield Public Library, 3609 Grand Blvd., hosts a movie matinee with a screening of Get Out, written and directed by Jordan Peele on Nov. 19 at 1 p.m.; Girls Night Out Book Club author event with Karen Berg Raftakis at Irish Times (8869 Burlington Ave.) on Nov. 20 at 7 p.m.; and Harry Potter Trivia Night for the whole family on Nov. 20 at 7 p.m. at the library. Advance registration required. " Call 708-485-6917 or visit www.brookfieldlibrary.info.
• Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., continues its exhibition Twist Affix, featuring the work of Aimee Beaubien in the Freeark Gallery of Art through Dec. 2.
The center's FlexSpace Gallery, is home to the exhibit "The Pen" featuring the work of artist Liz McCarthy through Dec. 9. Admission is free. Gallery hours are Tuesday through Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m. Visit www.riversideartscenter.com for more information.
The St. Barbara Parish Council of Catholic Women hosts its annual Craft Show on Nov. 18 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the parish center, 4015 Prairie Ave. in Brookfield.
• Anyone needing help learning to use their smartphone, computer, tablet or other device can get help at Teens Teach Tech on Nov. 15 from 3:15 to 4:15 p.m. at Hauser Junior High, 65 Woodside Road in Riverside, Room 107. Contact Nicole O'Connell with questions at 708-837-2833 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., presents Also at the library this week: Messy Mornings for Munchkins (ages 2+), Nov. 21 at 10:30 a.m.; Lapsit Storytime (babies, toddlers with adult), Nov. 16 at 10:30 a.m.; Crafts & Cookies (2nd grade ) on Nov. 17 at 3:45 p.m.; After School Book Club (2nd grade ), Nov. 16 at 3:45 p.m.; DIY Cat and Dog Blankets for Animal Shelters (6th-12th grade) on Nov. 18 from 1 to 3 p.m.
The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo every Monday night. Doors open at 5 p.m. and games start at 7 p.m. minimum cash payout of $2,275 a night, plus pull tabs, lightning, tic-tac and raffles.