Tree planting project goes virtual
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the annual 1,000 Tree Planting Project in Riverside, originally scheduled for Nov. 21, has shifted gears.
Instead of gathering at the Scout Cabin and heading out to plant tree seeds in the village's wooded areas, residents are asked to view a pair of videos, produced by Riverside TV, which will show families how you can gather seeds from Riverside parks and plant them in your own yards.
One of the videos presents highlights from the 2019's tree planting project while the other is a teaching seminar from the 2019 project. Or you can visit YouTube.com and search for "1000 Tree Planting Project 2019."
Make your own wreath
Brookfield Public Library invites you to learn basics, best practices, tips and tricks for making your own holiday wreaths through the special Zoom presentation "DIY Holiday Wreaths" on Thursday, Nov. 19 at 6 p.m.
Registration required at the library's online calendar page or by calling 708-485-6917, ext. 130.
RAC Artist Talk on tap (UPDATE: THIS PROGRAM HAS BEEN POSTPONED)
Riverside Arts Center invites you to take part in its next Artist Talk, featuring Kelly Kristin Jones, on Saturday, Nov. 21 from 2 to 3 p.m.
Jones' site-specific installation "In Time and Paradise" is currently featured in RAC's FlexSpace Gallery through Nov. 28. It celebrates 19 Illinois women who fought for the rights of all women at the time of the ratification of the 19th Amendment, which gave women the right to vote in the United States.
Register to participate by visiting the Riverside Arts Center website or call 708-442-6400 for more information.
Walk on the wild side
Brookfield Public Library invites you to a special Facebook Live presentation "Amazing Animal Adaptations" on Monday, Nov. 23 at 4 p.m.
Discover how different animals adapt to survive in their habitats. You'll learn about water-resistant feathers, beak shapes, camouflage, and how blubber keeps arctic animals warm.
Tune in at the Brookfield Public Library Facebook page.
• Compassion Factory Art Gallery and Studio, 9210 Broadway Ave. in Brookfield, presents "Resonance," featuring the work of Ryan Tuck, through Nov. 28. Admission is free but the space is limited to 25 people at one time, so reservations are required. The gallery is open Nov. 19, 21 and 28. Register for a time to visit by clicking here.
• Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., presents "Humor Us," a group show where art and humor intersect, and "In Time and Paradise," an installation by Kelly Kristin Jones celebrating Illinois women and their fight for women's rights around the time of the 19th Amendment. The shows run through Nov. 28 and can be seen by appointment Thursday-Saturday from 1-5 p.m. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Brookfield Chamber of Commerce continues its 60-to-Win raffle drawings every Thursday through Nov. 19 at 4:30 p.m. at Joe's Saloon, 9220 47th St. in Brookfield. You can also watch a livestream on the Brookfield Chamber of Commerce Facebook page. Winners' names will be posted each week on the chamber's website.
• North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., is offering the following virtual programs through Facebook Live, conference calls and the teleconferencing app Zoom. Programs include Makerspace Mondays on the first and third Mondays of the month at 7 p.m. and Talented Tuesdays on the second and fourth Tuesdays of the month at 5:30 p.m. both via Facebook Live on North Riverside Public Library's Facebook page; and Game Night Wednesdays every Wednesday at 7 p.m. via Zoom.
For adults, there's the Writers Group Online Meeting via Zoom on Nov. 19 at 6 p.m. and Stretching and Meditation via conference call (800-747-5150, code 1453322) on Nov. 23 at 6:30 p.m. RSVP to email@example.com or visit the library's online calendar page for adult Zoom meeting access info.
For teens, there's Jackbox Game - Drawful on Nov. 21 at 3 p.m. via Zoom. Register for Zoom info at the library's online Teen Services page.
For kids, there are the following Zoom programs: ABCs and 123s on Mondays at 10:30, Stories and Sharing on Tuesdays at 10:30 a.m.; and Lego Builders Club on Thursdays at 3:30 p.m.
Register by calling 708-447-0869, ext. 230 or at the library's online Youth Services registration page.
• Brookfield Public Library offers virtual classes and programs for patrons of all ages throughout the week. Most youth activities will be presented live on the library's Facebook page. There's also Chair Yoga on Nov. 19 at 11 a.m. via Zoom. Register for Zoom access info by visiting the library's online calendar page or calling 708-485-6917, ext. 130.
• Riverside Public Library offers both in-person and virtual programs, including Sunset Meditation at the Station, at the downtown Riverside train depot, 90 Bloomingbank Road, on Nov. 19 at 6 p.m. and Family Game Night starting with the Jackbox game Earwax via Zoom on Nov. 20 at 6 p.m. Register at the library's online calendar page.