Children's Theater Guild saves the day!
Riverside Children's Theater Guild presents "Saving Christmas," an original musical comedy, on Friday, Dec. 14 at 7:30 p.m. and on Dec. 15 and 16 at 3 p.m. in the auditorium of the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road in Riverside.
What happens when Santa's sleigh crashes in the Enchanted Forest? Will Prince Charming ever get along with his mother-in-law? What's Krampus got to do with all of this? Can the fairy tale creatures crank out millions and millions of presents and save Christmas?
Tickets are $10 ($5 for children 12-under). For more information about the show and ticket reservations, visit www.facebook.com/RCTheaterGuild.
ABBA Salute at TWS
Theatre of Western Springs, 4384 Hampton Ave., hosts ABBA Salute, billed as "the most accurate ABBA tribute band in the country," for a special performance on Saturday, Dec. 15 at 8 p.m.
Tickets are $30 ($25 for TWS subscribers). Call the box office at 708-246-3380 or buy tickets online at www.theatrewesternsprings.com.
Holiday Movie Marathon
North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., invites you to curl up and get into the holiday spirit during a Hallmark Holiday Movie Marathon on Saturday, Sept 15 from 2 to 6 p.m.
Come for hot cocoa, warm feelings and a Hallmark movie mug raffle. To RSVP, call 708-447-0869 or visit online at www.northriversidelibrary.org/events.
'Shark Tank' Insider
Brookfield Public Library, 3609 Grand Blvd., invites you to meet Guard Llama inventor and "Shark Tank" winner Joe Parisi at "'Shark Tank' Insider Tales" on Thursday, Dec. 13 at 6:30 p.m.
Hear stories of his team's experience on the TV reality show, where budding entrepreneur try to win monetary backing for their inventions like the Guard Llama, a panic button device that lets people contact police and transmit their location without the use of a cellphone.
Get tips on how to get your company/ideas rolling.
Free movie at Village Commons
North Riverside Parks and Recreation invites adults to its free movie of the month, the 2012 animated fantasy film "Rise of the Guardians," on Friday, Dec. 14 at 1 p.m. in the Village Commons building, 2401 Desplaines Ave.
Admission, popcorn and refreshments are free, but call 708-442-5515 to reserve a seat.
Czech resistance during WWII
Author Gerald Brennan provides will provide insights into a fascinating event of World War II, the 1942 assassination in Prague of Reinhard Heydrich, a top Nazi SS officer and architect of the Holocaust, by Czech and Slovak agents, on Thursday, Dec. 13 at 7 p.m. in the Public Meeting Room of the Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road.
Brennan, author of "Resistance," will present his thoughts on this historical event and how it echoes in our own times.
• Kuratko-Nosek Funeral Home, 2447 Desplaines Ave. in North Riverside, is participating in Veterans and Family Memorial Care's 11th Annual Christmas Stocking for Soldiers and Veterans initiative through Dec. 15. Stop in to the funeral home and pick up a stocking to take home, decorate and stuff with Christmas cheer. Drop-off/pick-up times are Monday through Saturday between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
• North Riverside Parks and Rec offers busy parents help getting their Christmas shopping done during a Holiday Drop 'n' Shop nights at the Village Commons, 2401 Desplaines Ave., on Dec. 15 from 5 to 9 p.m. Drop off your kids for some fun, games and pizza while you shop. Preregistration required. The fee is $25, plus $15 per additional child. Call 708-442-5515.
• Holiday Magic, the annual festival of lights at Brookfield Zoo, 3300 Golf Road in Brookfield, returns Dec. 15-16. The zoo is open each day of the event from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Come early and stay later for the festivities, which begin at 4 p.m. Guests should park in the north lot. Regular admission and parking fees apply. For more, visit www.CZS.org/HolidayMagic or call 708-688-8000.
The zoo also hosts Breakfast with Santa on Dec. 15-16 with seatings at 9 or 11 a.m. The cost is $29.95 for adults and $21.95 for kids ages 3-11. Children under 2 are free. Seating is limited. Reservation required at www.CZS.org/Breakfast.
• Santa's mail box has been posted in front of the water tower, 10 Pine Ave., in downtown Riverside, which means it's time for local children to write their lists and pop them in the mail box, so Santa receives them in time. Letters received by noon on Dec. 20 are guaranteed a response.
• Compassion Factory Art Gallery and Studio, 9210 Broadway Ave. in Brookfield, presents artwork by Heather Kadlec Stock and Don Mendenhall through Dec. 29. Free. Open Thursdays from 4 to 9 p.m., Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and first Fridays from 7 to 10 p.m.
• Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., presents "While Here," a solo exhibition of work by painter Kim Piotrowski as part of its Spotlight Exhibition series highlighting artists who are part of the RAC community through Jan. 5, and "We Are Beasts" featuring the work of Sarah and Joseph Belknap in the outdoor sculpture garden through December. Gallery hours are Tuesday-Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m.
• Brookfield Public Library, 3609 Grand Blvd., invites high school students to The Final Countdown on Dec. 17 and 18 from 6-8:30 p.m., where you can study for final exams in a quiet place. Snacks provided. Register to attend by calling 708-485-6917 or visiting www.brookfieldlibrary.info.
• North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., hosts a Senior Drop-in on Dec. 14 from 10 a.m. to noon in the Meeting Room. Play cards and socialize every Friday. Seniors can also enjoy Bingocize on Dec. 19 at 2 p.m. Exercise while playing bingo and winning prizes. Free. Call 708-447-0869 to sign up.
For adults, there's Holiday Button Art (all supplies provided) on Dec. 13 from 6-7:30 p.m. and the first meeting of the Writers Group on Dec. 15 from 4 to 6 p.m. To RSVP for either program call 708-447-0869 or visit www.northriversidelibrary.org/events.
For kids, there's Lapsit Storytime (toddlers thru 5) on Dec. 13 at 10:30 a.m.; Messy Mornings for Munchkins (ages 2-5) on Dec. 18 at 10:30 a.m.; Bilingual Storytime (ages 2-5) on Dec. 19 at 10:30 a.m.; Legos (grades 1+) on Dec. 14 at 4 p.m.; Connect 4 Mini-Marathon (grades K ) on Dec. 13 at 3:45 p.m.; and Wii Play Games and Watch Movies (grades 6-12) on Dec. 16 from 1-3 p.m.
• The community is invited through March 22, 2019, to jog, walk or run inside on the indoor track at the Lyons Township High School South Campus fieldhouse, 4900 S. Willow Springs Road in Western Springs, from 6 to 7 a.m. on days when school is in session. Free.
• The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo every Monday night. Doors open at 5 p.m. and games start at 7 p.m. minimum cash payout of $2,275 a night, plus pull tabs, lightning, tic-tac and raffles.