Bingo Nights in Brookfield
Bring the family out for some fun and games – and prizes – at the Brookfield Recreation Department's inaugural Family Bingo Night on Thursday, Feb. 14 from 5 to 6 p.m.
Indulge in some slices from heart-shaped pizzas and pick out a lucky card. The cost to play is $3 per person. Pre-registration is required. Visit rectrac.brookfieldil.gov or call 708-485-1528.
Rise and Fall of the Berlin Wall
This year marks the 30th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall and the reunification of Germany. But the wall itself stood not only as a barrier but as a symbol of the Cold War for 28 years.
Join German historian Anette Isaacs as she presents a historical and political overview of the wall's history and the almost miraculous events that brought it down for good at "The Rise and Fall of the Berlin Wall" at the Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, on Wednesday, Feb. 20 at 7 p.m. in the Public Meeting Room.
Lyons Township High School presents the musical "Grease" on Feb. 14, 15 and 16 at 7 p.m. in the North Campus Reber Center, 100 S. Brainard Ave. in LaGrange. There will also be a special singalong performance on Sunday, Feb. 17 at 3 p.m.
Showcasing the skills of 60 actors and 10 musicians the show features many of the songs from the hit movie as well as others you're sure to enjoy. Some material may not be suitable for younger audiences.
Tickets for all shows at $10 for adults, $5 for students and senior citizens. They can be purchased at the box office before the show or through www.lths.net.
Mother-daughter 'Boot Camp'
The Brookfield Public Library, 3609 Grand Blvd., is offering a special way for mother figures and teenage daughters to connect through a four-part workshop called "Keeping Your Bond Strong" on Saturdays, Feb. 16, Feb. 23, March 2 and March 23 from 11 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.
Presented by Gina Slager, the workshop offers tools mothers and daughters can use to nurture their relationships and will include yoga, deep relaxation techniques and chocolate.
The workshop is free and attendees need not attend all sessions. Register in person, online at www.brookfieldlibrary.info or by calling 708-485-6917, ext. 140.
• Compassion Factory Art Gallery and Studio, 9210 Broadway Ave. in Brookfield, presents "Sacred Art," an exhibition of artwork by Beth Shadur, through Feb. 23. Gallery hours are Thursday from 4 to 9 p.m. and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Free.
• Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., hosts a book signing with artist Natalie Krick at a closing reception for "Natural Deceptions," on Saturday, Feb. 16 from 3 to 5 p.m. Admission is free. Gallery hours are Tues.-Sat. from 1 to 5 p.m.
• North Riverside Parks and Rec offers a Day Off, Drop Off Camp on Feb. 18 from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. for parents looking for a place to case for their kids, ages 3-12, during the school holiday. All-day structured activities. Fee is $25 ($27 non-resident). Call 708-442-5515.
• Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, hosts a Medicare Information Seminar on Feb. 16 at 10:30 a.m. in the Public Meeting Room. Bill Scanlon and Courtney Erb will talk about program changes, how to select supplemental and drug plans and more.
• North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., hosts a Senior Drop-in on Feb. 15 from 10 a.m. to noon in the Meeting Room. Play cards and socialize every Friday.
For adults, enjoy a Valentine's Hallmark Movie Marathon on Feb. 14 from 4 to 8 p.m. Includes hot chocolate. There's also Bingocize –exercise while playing bingo and winning prizes – on Feb. 20 at 2 p.m. To register for adult programs, call 708-447-0869 or visit www.northriversidelibrary.org/events.
For kids, there's Bilingual Lapsit Storytime (through age 5) on Feb. 14 at 10:30 a.m.; Bingo/Loteria (ages 3+) on Feb. 15 at 4:30 p.m.; Messy Mornings for Munchkins (ages 2-5) on Feb. 19 at 10:30 a.m.; and Bilingual Storytime (ages 2-5) on Feb. 20 at 10:30 a.m.; and Romantic Movie Afternoon (grades 6-12) on Feb. 16 at 1 p.m. Kids under 13 need movie/gaming permission slip.
• The community is invited through March 22 to jog, walk or run inside on the indoor track at the Lyons Township High School South Campus fieldhouse, 4900 S. Willow Springs Road in Western Springs, from 6 to 7 a.m. on days when school is in session. Free.
• Aging Care Connections hosts a free Memory Café program through September on the second Friday of each month from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Young at Heart Adult Day Services Center, 6504 Joliet Road in Countryside and the third Tuesday of each month at Salerno's Pizzeria & Sports Bar, 9301 W. 63rd St. in Hodgkins. Call 708-354-1323 for more information.
• The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo every Monday night. Doors open at 5 p.m. and games start at 7 p.m. minimum cash payout of $2,275 a night, plus pull tabs, lightning, tic-tac and raffles.