|Share on Facebook|
|Share on Twitter|
This place is gaslit
Join crime author Rich Lindberg for a fascinating look at "gaslight era" serial killers, scoundrels and murderers in "Devils of Gaslight Chicago" on Wednesday, Feb. 21 at 7 p.m. in the Public Meeting Room of the Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road.
Review a rogues gallery of characters, including H.H Holmes, Chicago's own "Devil in the White City"; Lizzie Borden, the alleged hatchet murderer of Fall River, Massachusetts; and Amy Archer Gilligan, the "black widow" who inspired the play "Arsenic and Old Lace." Free.
Hauser art students exhibit work
North Riverside Park Mall, 7501 Cermak Road, presents a new art exhibit featuring the work of students from L.J. Hauser Junior high school in Riverside.
The exhibit is located on the upper level Management Hallway and includes abstract acrylic paintings, one-point perspective room and still life drawings in pencil and oil pastel by seventh- and eighth-grade art students of teacher Harjit Singh.
For more information, visit www.northriversideparkmall.com.
Veterans resource fair
Veterans from throughout the community are invited to attend the Veterans resource Fair, presented by Triton College Career Services, on Wednesday, Feb. 21 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in Room B-204/210 of the Triton College Student Center on the west side of the campus, 2000 Fifth Ave. in River Grove.
The event is free and lunch will be served to all veterans. Organizations and companies will share information and help veterans connect with services and resources including housing assistance, disability and pension claims, health screenings and more.
Call 708-437-6915, ext. 3805 for more info.
All things Oscar
Join former Chicago Tribune reporter Mark Caro for "Oscars and Movies and Interviews, Oh My!" on Thursday, Feb. 15 at 7 p.m. at the Brookfield Public Library, 3609 Grand Blvd.
Caro will discuss the movies, his career as an entertainment reporter and all things Oscar. Register to attend by calling 708-485-6917 or visiting online at www.brookfieldlibrary.info.
Fab Four confab
North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., presents "The Beatles: Their History in an Hour" on Wednesday, Feb. 21 at 6:30 p.m.
Gary Westrup, an adjunct professor who teaches a course on The Beatles at the College of DuPage, is the presenter.
To sign up, call 708-447-0869 or visit www.northriversidelibrary.org.
D102 kindergarten enrollment starts
Parents of children who will be in kindergarten in the fall of 2018 are invited to attend the LaGrange-Brookfield School District 102 Kindergarten Information Nights.
Parents interested in full-day kindergarten can attend on Tuesday, Feb. 20, 7 p.m. at Congress Park School, 9311 Shields Ave. in Brookfield, or Barnsdale Road School, 920 Barnsdale Road in LaGrange Park.
Parents interested in half day kindergarten attend Wednesday, Feb. 21, 6:30 p.m. at Ogden or Cossitt Avenue Schools in LaGrange.
Kindergarten enrollment for 2018-19 begins on Feb. 20. Children must be 5 years of age on or before Sept. 1 to be eligible. Registration packets are available at the various schools' offices.
Visit lagrange.schooldesk.net for more information.
• The St. Louise Players presents "The Little Mermaid" this weekend in the Parish Center, 1125 Harrison Ave. Showtimes are Feb. 16 and 17 at 7 p.m. and Feb. 18 at 2 p.m. Tickets are $13 for adults, $11 for seniors and $7 for kids 12 and under. They are available at the door, through any cast member or online at SLMParish.org.
• Chicago Scots invite you to dinner and a movie on Feb. 20 from 6 to 9 p.m. in the Heritage Hall at Caledonia Senior Living and Memory Care, 2800 Desplaines Ave. in North Riverside. Catch a screening of the 1955 British film "Geordie" with Bill Travers as a Scotsman training to compete in the 1956 Summer Olympics. Free, no RSVP required.
Brookfield Public Library, 3609 Grand Blvd., hosts DIY Cat Toys on Feb. 17 at 3 p.m. and "Lost in Translation: Effectively Communicating with Your Healthcare Provider" on Feb. 21 at 5 p.m. Register to attend at 708-485-6917 or online at www.brookfieldlibrary.info.
• Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., presents "Flat Earth," featuring the paintings of Chicago artist Andrew Falkowski through March 3 in the center's Freeark Art Gallery, which is open Tuesday through Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m. Admission is free.
• North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., hosts Messy Mornings for Munchkins (ages 2+), Feb. 20 at 10:30 a.m.; Lapsit Storytime (babies/toddlers with adult) on Feb. 15 at 10:30 a.m.; Love2Read (grades K ) reading activities and games on Feb. 17 at 10:30 a.m.; and Crafts & Cookies (grade 2 ) on Feb. 16 at 3:45 p.m.
• Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, and the Riverside Landscape Advisory Commission host Riverside Reads "Lab Girl" by Hope Jahren on Feb. 17 at 2 p.m. in the Quiet Reading Room. Discussion led by Anna Behm. Also on Feb. 17 at 10 a.m. in the Children's Department, Tree Storytime 2 featuring wildlife themed books.
• The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo every Monday night. Doors open at 5 p.m. and games start at 7 p.m. minimum cash payout of $2,275 a night, plus pull tabs, lightning, tic-tac and raffles.
• Lyons Township High School invites the public to use the indoor track at the South Campus fieldhouse, 4900 S. Willow Springs Road in Western Spring on school days from 6 to 7 a.m. through March. No admission charge.