'Distracted' at Theater of Western Springs
Theatre of Western Springs presents its second Forum show of the season with "Distracted" by Lisa Loomer and directed by Amy V. Fenton.
"Distracted" takes a funny, provocative and poignant look at modern families and whether we are so tuned into our 24/7 info-rich worlds that we've tuned out what really matters.
The show runs from Feb. 7 to Feb. 17 in the Cattell Theatre at Theatre of Western Springs, 4384 Hampton Ave. Tickets are $21 and $23. Call the box office at 708-246-3380 or visit www.theatrewesternsprings.com.
Get the lowdown on home brewing
Do you enjoy good quality craft beer? Do you want to learn how to brew your own?
Award-winning home brewer Scott Pointon will discuss the equipment, ingredients, brewing process and resources available to would-be brew masters at a special program on Saturday, Feb. 9 from 4 to 6 p.m. at the North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave.
To register, call 708-447-0869 or visit www.northriversidelibrary.org/events.
Senior Valentine's Social in Brookfield
All Brookfield senior citizens are invited to attend the Valentine's Day Senior Social, co-hosted by the Brookfield Chamber of Commerce and the Brookfield Aging Well team, on Sunday, Feb. 10 from 1 to 3 p.m. in the lower-level recreation hall at the Brookfield Village Hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave.
The event usually draws more than 100 senior citizens for an afternoon of fun, featuring custom refreshments, beverages and entertainment.
For more information about the social and to register for the event, seniors can contact Brookfield's Recreation Department at 708-485-1527.
Free movie screenings
Looking for an affordable movie experience? How about checking out these free screenings in the coming week?
• North Riverside Parks and Rec invites adults to attend this month's free movie, "Gifted" at the Village Commons, 2401 Desplaines Ave., on Friday, Feb. 8 at 1 p.m.
Admission, popcorn and refreshments are free, but call 708-442-5515 to reserve a seat.
• Brookfield Public Library, 3609 Grand Blvd., will show "Un Traductor," a Cuban film about a Russian literature professor who is ordered to work as a translator for Chernobyl victims sent to Cuba for medical treatment, on Tuesday, Feb. 12 at 6:30 p.m. Call 708-485-6917 or visit www.brookfieldlibrary.info for more info.
Love songs at Plymouth Place
Jazz pianist Jeremy Kahn returns to Dole Hall at Plymouth Place, 315 N. LaGrange Road in LaGrange Park, on Tuesday, Feb. 12 at 7:15 p.m. to celebrate the Valentine's season with favorite melodies of love and his special, easy rapport with audiences.
The concert is free to attend and open to the public, but reservations are requested. For more information, call 708-354-0340 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Focus on gun violence
The League of Women Voters of the LaGrange Area (LWVLGA), in partnership with the Students Against Violence Everywhere (SAVE) Club of Lyons Township High School (LTHS); Indivisible of Brookfield, LaGrange, LaGrange Park and Western Springs; LaGrange Area Moms Demand Action; and the St. Francis Xavier Peace and Justice Committee will sponsor the event "Gun Violence: Its Impact on our Communities."
The event will be held on Tuesday, Feb. 12 at 7 p.m. at Lyons Township High School South Campus Performing Arts Center, 4900 S. Willow Springs Road in Western Springs.
Free and open to the public. For more information, email at email@example.com or visit www.lagrangearealwv.org.
• Hitzeman Funeral Home, 9445 31st St. in Brookfield, will host the next of its monthly grief support gatherings on Feb. 12 from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. The theme of the gathering will be reacting to grief and how to identify and address signs and symptoms. Seats are limited. RSVP by Feb. 8 to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 708-485-2000.
• Riverside-Brookfield High School, 160 Ridgewood Road in Riverside, hosts Water Exercise Techniques (WET), an adult level fitness class on Wednesday nights through March 20 at 7:30 p.m. No swimming involved. $54 for nine classes. Email Noelle at email@example.com for info.
• Compassion Factory Art Gallery and Studio, 9210 Broadway Ave. in Brookfield, presents "Sacred Art," an exhibition of artwork by Beth Shadur, through Feb. 23. Gallery hours are Thursday from 4 to 9 p.m. and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Free.
• Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., presents "Natural Deceptions," the first solo exhibition in the Chicago area by Seattle-based photographer Natalie Krick, through Feb. 16. Admission is free. Gallery hours are Tues.-Sat. from 1 to 5 p.m.
• Brookfield Public Library, 3609 Grand Blvd., hosts Navigating the College Planning Process, about the myths, misconceptions and financial strategies to increase financial aid on Feb. 11 at 7 p.m. and a Book to Screen Discussion of "The Time Traveler's Wife" on Feb. 13 at 7 p.m. Register to attend these events by calling 708-485-6917 or visiting www.brookfieldlibrary.info.
• North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., hosts a Senior Drop-in on Feb. 8 from 10 a.m. to noon in the Meeting Room. Play cards and socialize every Friday.
For adults, create your own Mixed Media Art on Feb. 7 at 6 p.m. and Writer's Group on Feb. 9 from 1 to 3 p.m. To RSVP for senior and adult programs, call 708-447-0869 or visit www.northriversidelibrary.org/events.
For kids, there's Lapsit Storytime (through age 5) on Feb. 7 at 10:30 a.m.; Legos (grades 1+) on Feb. 8 at 4 p.m.; Family Yoga (ages 8 with adult) on Feb. 8 at 5:30 p.m.; Love2Read (grades K-1) on Feb. 9 at 2 p.m.; Messy Mornings for Munchkins (ages 2-5) on Feb. 12 at 10:30 a.m.; and Bilingual Storytime (ages 2-5) on Feb. 13 at 10:30 a.m.
• The community is invited through March 22, 2019, to jog, walk or run inside on the indoor track at the Lyons Township High School South Campus fieldhouse, 4900 S. Willow Springs Road in Western Springs, from 6 to 7 a.m. on days when school is in session. Free.
• Aging Care Connections hosts a free nine-month Memory Café program through September on the second Friday of each month from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Young at Heart Adult Day Services Center, 6504 Joliet Road in Countryside and the third Tuesday of each month at Salerno's Pizzeria & Sports Bar, 9301 W. 63rd St. in Hodgkins. Call 708-354-1323 for more information.
• The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo every Monday night. Doors open at 5 p.m. and games start at 7 p.m. minimum cash payout of $2,275 a night, plus pull tabs, lightning, tic-tac and raffles.