School board candidate forums
Voters will have a chance to hear directly from school board candidates in three local races in the next week at forums sponsored separately by the League of Women Voters and Indivisible West Suburban Action League.
The League of Women Voters of the LaGrange Area will host forums for candidates in LaGrange-Brookfield Elementary School District 102 and Lyons Township High School District 204 on Tuesday, March 12 at the LTHS South Campus Performing Arts Center, 4900 S. Willow Spring Road in Western Springs.
The D102 forum will start at 7 p.m., with the LTHS forum following at 8:15 p.m.
Indivisible West Suburban Action League will host a forum for candidates seeking office on the Riverside-Brookfield High School District 208 Board of Education on Wednesday, March 13 at 7 p.m. at the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road in Riverside.
Both forums are free to attend and open to public.
First lady of environmentalism
The American Association of University Women invites you to its spring meeting on Monday, March 11 at 7 p.m. in the Great Room of the Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road.
The meeting will feature living history program "Rachel Carson: The Woman Who Launched the Environmental Movement" by Leslie Goddard, who will portray Carson, the author of the groundbreaking book "Silent Spring," as she discusses her childhood love for the living world, her passion for writing and her work to awaken the world to the beauty and fragility of nature.
Stack 'em up!
The Hollywood Citizens Association will host its annual Pancake Breakfast on Saturday, March 9 from 8 a.m. to noon at Hollywood House, Washington and Hollywood avenues in Brookfield.
Stop by for breakfast before the Hollywood School Family Science Day and enjoy pancakes, sausage, fruit, juice and coffee. Enter to win raffle prizes. Proceeds support the Hollywood House and its mission.
Tickets are $5 per person. Kids under 3 eat free.
Artist reception at Brookfield Library
Brookfield Public Library, 3609 Grand Blvd., invites the community to a special after-hours reception to mark the opening of an exhibit by artist LuEllen Joy Miller-Giera on Friday, March 8 at 6:30 p.m.
Miller-Giera teaches classes such as playing card collage, collage as stress relief, vision boards, jewelry-making and other collage classes and seminars. She also organizes the monthly International Playing Card Exchange, where artists create collages on playing cards and exchange them.
The exhibit will be on display through April.
Commit to helping beautify a little piece of Brookfield all year long at the Brookfield Beautification Commission's Adopt-A-Spot signup on Saturday, March 9 from 9 to 11 a.m. at the Brookfield Village Hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave.
It's ideal for families, friends, community groups and other organizations. Set your own schedule for caring for a local spot. For more information, email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Riverside School District 96 will host kindergarten registration night (for kids who will be 5 on or before Sept. 1) on March 7 at 6 p.m. (last name A-L) and 7 p.m. (last name M-Z) in the auditorium at Hauser Jr. High, 65 Woodside Road in Riverside. Visit www.district96.org/apps/pages/registration for more info.
• Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., presents "Undiscoverable Country," featuring the works of Kate McQuillen and Gina Hunt, and "Nomads," featuring the work of Lynn Basia. "Undiscoverable Country" in the Freeark Gallery runs through March 30. "Nomads" runs through April 27 in the outdoor sculpture garden. Free. Gallery hours Tues.-Sat. from 1 to 5 p.m.
• Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, will host a Community Organization/Group Fair on March 10 from 1 to 4 p.m. Find out how you can become more involved in your community and sign up to volunteer with the local group that suits you best. For more info call 708-442-6366.
• Brookfield Public Library, 3609 Grand Blvd., invites kids of all ages are invited to a STEAM Playdate on March 10 at 4 p.m. Drop in and play. For info call 708-485-6917, ext. 130 or visit www.brookfieldlibrary.info
• North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., hosts a Senior Drop-in on March 8 from 10 a.m. to noon in the Meeting Room. Play cards and socialize every Friday. Age Options also presents "How to tell Your Story Workshop" on March 13 at 2 p.m. Jasmin Cardenas will help you craft a story you wish to tell. Free. Sign up by calling 708-447-0869 or visiting www.northriversidelibrary.org/events.
For kids, there's Lapsit Storytime (through age 5) on March 7 at 10:30 a.m.; Legos and Magna Tiles (grades 1+) on March 8 at 4 p.m.; Family Yoga with Bee (ages 3 with adult) on March 8 at 10:15 a.m.; Messy Mornings for Munchkins (ages 2-5) on March 12 at 10:30 a.m.; and Bilingual Storytime (ages 2-5) on March 13 at 10:30 a.m.; and Ozbot Mania (grades 5-12) on March 9 from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. and March 12 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
• The community is invited through March 22 to jog, walk or run inside on the indoor track at the Lyons Township High School South Campus fieldhouse, 4900 S. Willow Springs Road in Western Springs, from 6 to 7 a.m. on days when school is in session. Free.