Notre Dame jazz, brass bands at LTHS
The University of Notre Dame Jazz Band 1 and New Orleans Brass Band will perform one night only at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, April 5 at the Lyons Township High School North Campus Reber Center, 100 S. Brainard Ave. in LaGrange.
The LTHS Jazz Ensemble will perform an opening set. The concert is free and open to the public.
Two artists on display at Compassion Factory
Compassion Factory Art Gallery and Studio, 9210 Broadway Ave. in Brookfield, kicks off a new exhibit, "Exposed Nature," featuring work by artists Bill Kalnes and Farida Korobova from April 4-27, with an opening reception on Friday, April 5 from 7 to 10 p.m.
Kalnes has been photographing nature for more than 20 years all over the U.S., Canada and parts of Europe, and his work in this show has him enhancing nature's colors to explore Mother Nature's "altered states." Korobova is a painter who works in various media, combining fluid abstract backgrounds with realistic detailed brushwork.
The reception and gallery are free to visit. Hours are Thursdays from 4 to 9 p.m. and Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Piano concert at Ascension Lutheran
Ascension Lutheran Church, 400 Nuttall Road in Riverside, caps its Festival of Music on Sunday, April 7 at 4 p.m. with a concert by pianist John Goodwin, principal accompanist and resident conductor of the Chicago Children's Choir.
Parking is available around the church and Ames School. A freewill offering will be collected.
WSSRA hosts Flapjack Bunny Hop
West Suburban Special Recreation Association (WSSRA) hosts its Flapjack Bunny Hop on Saturday, April 6 from 9 to 11 a.m. at the North Riverside Village Commons, 2401 Desplaines Ave.
Bring the family for a pancake breakfast, children's activity stations, an egg hunt and photos with the Easter Bunny. Tickets are $5 for ages 13+ and $1 for 12-under. To register, call 847-455-2100. Walk-ins welcome.
Naz presents 'Anything Goes'
Nazareth Academy, 1209 W. Ogden Ave. in LaGrange Park, presents the 1934 madcap musical "Anything Goes" with music and lyrics by Cole Porter April 4-7 in the school's Romano Family Theater.
Performances are at 7 p.m. on April 4, 5 and 6 with a 1 p.m. matinee performance on April 7. All seats are reserved and are $18 and can be reserved by calling 708-387-8528.
• St. Barbara Society of Catholic Women will host its annual flea market fundraiser on April 6 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Parish Center, 4015 Prairie Ave. in Brookfield. Lunch available for purchase. Call 708-485-2502 with questions.
• Hitzeman Funeral Home, 9445 31st St. in Brookfield, will host the next of its monthly grief support gatherings on April 9 from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. The theme of the gathering will grief resources – how and where to find them. Seats are limited. RSVP by April 5 to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 708-485-2000.
• North Riverside Parks and Rec offers a Parent Escape Night on April 4. Schedule a dinner date, pencil in time with friends, go shopping or just take a nap. Drop off your kids ages 2-11 for activities of all sorts. Dinner for kids provided. $15 for the first child, $10 each additional. Call 708-442-5515.
• Lyons Township High School's math team will host a Trivia Night fundraiser to support Dare2Tri's physically disabled athletes and mission on April 6 at 6:30 p.m. in the North Campus cafeteria, 100 S. Brainard Ave. in LaGrange. Open to students, staff and the community. Bring your own food/drinks (no alcohol). Table of 8 students is $40. Table of 8 adults is $80. Register at www.lths.net/D2TFundraiser.
• Riverside-Brookfield High School, 160 Ridgewood Road in Riverside, hosts Water Exercise Techniques (WET), an adult level fitness class on Wednesday nights from April 3 through May 8 at 7:30 p.m. No swimming involved. $36 for six classes. Email Noelle at email@example.com for info.
• Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., presents "Verdant Visions," a collection of work by Yva Neal through April 27 in the FlexSpace Gallery. An artist reception will be held April 12 from 6 to 8 p.m. Gallery hours are Tuesday through Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m. Free and open to the public.
• Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, hosts a Medicare Seminar with Bill Scanlon and Courtney Erb of Access Benefit Plans on April 4 at 6:30 p.m. in the Public Meeting Room; Be Safe Online with Michael Gershbein from Chicagoland Tech Tutors on April 10 at 7 p.m. in the Public Meeting Room; and a Spring Concert featuring the Hauser Jr. High Orchestra and Choir on April 7 at 2 p.m. in the Great Room.
• Brookfield Public Library, 3609 Grand Blvd., celebrates National Library Week, April 7-13, with a series of activities, including a $1 Fine Amnesty during the entire week, LGBT Q&A (ages 11-high school) on April 7 at 3 p.m. and a Resume Workshop on April 10 at 7 p.m. For more info, call 708-485-6917 or visit www.brookfieldlibrary.info.
• North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., hosts a Senior Drop-in on April 5 from 10 a.m. to noon in the Meeting Room. Play cards and socialize every Friday. Senior can also learn about Scrapbooking with Candi Suriano Grace courtesy of Age Options on April 10 at 2 p.m. Bring 5 or 6 photos to create two scrapbook pages.
• Adult Services invites you to regain control of your home at Clear the Clutter on April 4 at 6 p.m. Also, speakers of either Spanish or English are welcome to converse and learn with others in both languages at the new Café y Conversacion/Conversation Café on April 6 at 10:30 a.m. Sign up for adult programs by calling 708-447-0869 or visiting www.northriversidelibrary.org/events.
For kids, there's Lapsit Storytime (toddlers thru 5) on April 4 at 10:30 a.m.; Legos & Magna Tiles (grades 1 ) on April 5 at 4 p.m.; Messy Mornings for Munchkins (ages 2-5) on April 9 at 10:30 a.m.; and Bilingual Storytime (ages 2-5) on April 10 at 10:30 a.m.
• Aging Care Connections hosts a free Memory Café program through September on the second Friday of each month from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Young at Heart Adult Day Services Center, 6504 Joliet Road in Countryside and the third Tuesday of each month at Salerno's Pizzeria & Sports Bar, 9301 W. 63rd St. in Hodgkins. Call 708-354-1323 for more information.
• The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo every Monday night. Doors open at 5 p.m. and games start at 7 p.m. minimum cash payout of $2,275 a night, plus pull tabs, lightning, tic-tac and raffles.