Hop down the bunny trail
Families can enjoy several Easter season-centric events taking place in the area in the coming week:
• Brookfield Parks and Rec hosts a Bunny Brunch Bonanza on Saturday, April 13 from 10 a.m. to noon at the Brookfield Village Hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave.
Following your choice of PB&J, pancakes and eggs or macaroni and cheese, get high-quality pictures with real-life bunnies, mini goats, chicks, piglets or the Easter Bunny and then take a walk through the oak savanna in Kiwanis Park. Pre-register at rectrac.brookfieldil.gov.
• North Riverside Park Mall, 7501 Cermak Road, will hold an Easter Celebration in the food court on April 13 from 9 to 10:30 a.m. Meet and greet Donald and Daisy Duck, enjoy a DJ, face painting, balloon artist, prizes and an appearance by the Easter Bunny. Free.
• Brookfield Zoo, 3300 Golf Road in Brookfield, invites families to Breakfast with the Bunny on April 13 and 14 in the Discovery Center.
Includes all-you-can-eat buffet, live music, appearances by costumed characters and photo ops. Seatings at 9 and 11 a.m. Cost is $29.95 for adults and $21.95 for children 3-11. Reservations required. Visit www.CZS.org/events or call 708-688-8355.
Be kind to Mother Earth: Recycle
• The Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago and the Illinois EPA host a Household Hazardous Waste Collection event on Saturday, April 13 from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the North Parking Lot of the Brookfield Zoo, 8400 31st St.
Waste must be dropped off by car. Dispose of items like paint, motor oil, herbicides, chemicals, mercury, electronics and more. Visit www.mwrd.org or call 312-751-6633 for more info.
• North Riverside Parks and Rec hosts an Earth Day recycling event on April 13 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the police department parking lot, 2359 Desplaines Ave.
The event features a shredding truck to get rid of personal papers. Also recycling eyeglasses, cellphones and scrap metal. U.S. flags collected and disposed of properly. Household and clothing items being collected by Goodwill.
Call 708-442-5515 for more info.
More than just jeans
Join historian Anette Isaacs as she presents "Levi Strauss, the Gold Rush and the World's Most Expensive Pair of Pants," a fascinating look at Levi Strauss and the 1800s Gold Rush on Tuesday, April 16 at 1 p.m. at Brookfield Public Library, 3609 Grand Blvd.
Register to attend by calling 708-485-6917, ext. 130 or visiting www.brookfieldlibrary.info.
All that jazz
• The Lady T Jazz Combo returns to the North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., on Wednesday, April 17 at 6:30 p.m.
Vocalist Toscanellie Marcelain and her band will perform jazz standards and songs from her CDs to promote Jazz Appreciation Month. Free. To RSVP call 708-447-0869 or visit www.northriversidelibrary.org/events.
• The Jimmy Dorsey Orchestra performs live at the Theatre of Western Springs, 4384 Hampton Ave., on Saturday, April 13 at 8 p.m. with an opening set by the Lyons Township High School Jazz Ensemble.
Tickets are $35 for TWS subscribers ($40 non-subscribers). Call 708-246-3380 or visit www.theatrewesternsprings.com.
If you have unwanted children's clothing and other kid-related items cluttering your house, North Riverside Parks and Rec invites you to start your spring cleaning and earn some cash at their Kids Flea Market on Saturday, April 13 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the gym at the North Riverside Village Commons, 2401 Desplaines Ave.
Sellers pay $15 for a space with a table and two chairs. Setup starts at 7:30 a.m.
• Brookfield Chamber of Commerce will hold its monthly Business Lunch on April 11 at noon at Sebastian's Ale and Whiskey House, 8900 Fairview Ave. Non-members welcome.
• Aging Care Connections, 111 W. Harris Ave. in LaGrange, presents the seminar "Treasure, Trash or Trade" on April 11 at 10 a.m. Learn to take control of your home by sorting through years of accumulation to eliminate clutter. Free. RSVP at 708-603-2337.
• The League of Women Voters of the LaGrange Area sponsor a meeting for "Complete Count 2020 Census: How Can We Do This?" on April 11 at 7 p.m. at the LaGrange Public Library, 10 W. Cossitt Ave. in LaGrange. Free and open to the public.
• North Riverside Parks and Rec continues its free Popcorn and a Movie Series with "Book Club," starring Diane Keaton, Jane Fonda, Candice Bergen and Mary Steenburgen on April 12 at 1 p.m. in the council room of the Village Commons, 2401 Desplaines Ave. Register by calling 708-442-5515.
• Trinity Community Church, 7022 Riverside Dr. in Berwyn, hosts a Spaghetti Dinner on April 13 from 3 to 7 p.m. includes homemade meatballs, sausage, salad, bread, dessert and beverages. Tickets at the door $10 adult, $8 seniors, $4 kids 5-13). Carry-outs available.
• Compassion Factory Art Gallery and Studio, 9210 Broadway Ave. in Brookfield, presents, "Exposed Nature," featuring work by artists Bill Kalnes and Farida Korobova through April 27. Free. Hours are Thursdays from 4 to 9 p.m. and Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
• Riverside-Brookfield High School, 160 Ridgewood Road in Riverside, hosts Water Exercise Techniques (WET), an adult level fitness class on Wednesday nights through May 8 at 7:30 p.m. No swimming involved. $36 for six classes. Email Noelle at firstname.lastname@example.org for info.
• Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., presents "Verdant Visions," a collection of work by Yva Neal in the FlexSpace Gallery and AP Art 2019 featuring 40 works by students at RBHS in the Freeark Gallery through April 27. An artist reception will be held April 12 from 6 to 8 p.m. Gallery hours are Tuesday through Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m. Free and open to the public.
• Brookfield Public Library, 3609 Grand Blvd., celebrates National Library Week, with a series of activities, including a Healthy Sugars Workshop presented by Oak Street Health on April 11 at 1 p.m. and 3D Carving with Carvey, the library's new 3D carving machine, on April 13 at 3:30 p.m. For more info, call 708-485-6917 or visit www.brookfieldlibrary.info.
• North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., hosts a Senior Drop-in on April 12 from 10 a.m. to noon in the Meeting Room. Play cards and socialize every Friday.
Adult Services invites you to Paint a Flowerpot on April 13 at 1:30 p.m. Event is full. To put your name on the waitlist, call 708-447-0869.
For kids, there's Lapsit Storytime (toddlers thru 5) on April 11 at 10:30 a.m.; STEM-tastic Fun (grades K+) on April 11 at 3:45 pm.; Bingo/Loteria (ages 3 ) pm April 12 at 4:30 p.m.; Family Yoga with Bee (ages 3 w/adult) on April 12 at 10:45 a.m.; Tales & Treats (ages 2-5) on April 13 at 10:30 a.m.; Messy Mornings for Munchkins (ages 2-5) on April 16 at 10:30 a.m.; and Bilingual Storytime (ages 2-5) on April 17 at 10:30 a.m.; and Let's Make it Surreal poetry/word play (grades 6-12) on April 13 from 1 to 3 p.m.