New show at Compassion Factory
The Compassion Factory Art Gallery, 9210 Broadway Ave. in Brookfield, presents a new exhibition featuring the work of two artists, Andrea Johnson and Heidi Burtner with an opening reception on Thursday, June 7 from 6 to 9 p.m.
Johnston creates one-of-a-kind mosaic, blown-glass and tile works of art. Each piece comprises a kaleidoscope of mixed glass and ceramic media and depict images and textures that reveal the beauty of nature.
Burtner is a painter whose style is intuitive, energetic and vibrant. She studied art at Illinois State University with Harold Gregor, focusing on painting, printmaking and color theory.
The show runs through July 7. The gallery is free and open to the public on Thursdays from 4 to 9 p.m.; Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and first Fridays from 7 to 10 p.m.
Walk to battle Alzheimer's
North Riverside Park Mall, 7501 Cermak Road in North Riverside, invites the public to join in the Purple 5K Walk in support of Alzheimer's Brain and Awareness Month on Sunday, June 10.
Registration and check-in is at 7:30 a.m. in the mall food court, on the east side of shopping center. The 5K walk around the mall begins at 8 a.m. Music will play throughout the walk. More music, fruit, bottled water and granola bars will be available afterward. There will also be a vendor table and prizes.
Rock Around the Library
Kids of all ages are invited to "Rock Around the Library, Roll Around the Books," an interactive, funny and educational performance by Chris McBrien, the Magic Storyteller, on Tuesday, June 12 at 6:30 p.m. at the North Riverside Public Library, 200 Desplaines Ave.
The retro rock 'n' roll-themed show features puppets and 1950s music, all promoting the coolness of reading. Sponsored by Kuratko-Nosek Funeral Home.
Must be enrolled in the library's Summer Reading Program. For more information, visit the library, call 708-447-0869 or visit online at www.northriversidelibrary.org/events.
Outdoor concert at Cantata
Cantata Adult Life Services, 8700 31st St. in Brookfield, invites the public to relax and enjoy a root-beer float while listing to the West Suburban Concert Band perform hit tunes during their Concert Under the Stars on Thursday, June 7 at 6:30 p.m.
All ages are welcome to attend the performance, which will take place at the Cantata circle drive. The concert is free to attend.
Artist chat at Riverside Library
Join Riverside native Jacqueline Alcantara for a chat about becoming a published illustrator on Wednesday, June 13 at 7 p.m. in the Great Room of the Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road.
Alcantara will talk about her work featured in "The Field" by Baptiste John, which was released in March. The book promotes play, diversity and soccer – a perfect way to get ready for the upcoming World Cup this summer.
• The Riverside Chapter of the Lyric Opera of Chicago presents a concert featuring piano prodigy Benjamin Kolot on June 10 at 2 p.m. at a residence in River Forest. RSVP to Alice Stake at email@example.com or 708-447-7523 to obtain address info. Checks for $25 made out to Lyric Opera of Chicago may be sent to Alice at 140 Barrypoint Road, Riverside, 60546.
• Hitzeman Funeral Home, 9445 31st St in Brookfield, hosts is next grief support gathering on June 12 at 6:30 p.m. Addie Anderson from Begin Within Counseling and Coaching Services will facilitate the discussion. RSVP by June 8 to firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 708-485-2000. Refreshments follow.
• Theatre of Western Springs, 4384 Hampton Road, presents "Shakespeare in Hollywood" by Ken Ludwig through June 10. The comedy follows characters Oberon and Puck, who take a wrong turn and end up on the 1930s film set. Tickets are $20 or $22. Call 708-246-3380 or visit www.theatrewesternsprings.com.
• Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., presents "Women Painting Men," featuring the work of six artists in the Freeark Gallery, while "Golden Rule," featuring the work on Amy Babinec, will be in the FlexSpace gallery. Both exhibitions run through June 23. Mara Baker's show "A Mountain One Fence High – A Ribbon Two Yards Wide" is in the outdoor Sculpture Garden through July. Admission is free. Gallery hours are Tuesday through Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m.
• Brookfield Public Library, 3609 Grand Blvd., hosts a Teen Maker Madness Summer Challenge on June 11 at 4 p.m. The 3D printing workshop challenges kids ages 11-16 to create an object using the library's printer. Objects will be displayed throughout the summer. Also learn the truth about food labeling at Food Claims with Chef Lilly on June 13 at 7 p.m. Registration required for both at 708-485-6917 or online at www.brookfieldlibrary.info.
• Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, hosts a Medicare Information Seminar on June 11 at 6:30 p.m. in the Public Meeting Room. Learn about Medicare changes, how to select the best supplemental and drug coverage plans and avoiding mistakes.
• North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., hosts a Senior Drop-in on June 1 from 10 a.m. to noon in the Meeting Room. Play cards and socialize every Friday. For kids, there's Open Play Drop-in (ages 2-5 with adult), June 12 at 10:30 a.m.; Love2Read (grades K-1) on June 9 at 2 p.m.; Pizza & Games Night (grade 1+) on June 11 at 6 p.m.; Mini Crafters (ages 3-6) on June 12 at 10:30 a.m. (Out of this World Vehicle) and Mega Crafters (ages 7 ) on June 13 at 3:30 p.m. (Quilt).
• The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo every Monday night. Doors open at 5 p.m. and games start at 7 p.m. minimum cash payout of $2,275 a night, plus pull tabs, lightning, tic-tac and raffles.