Police arrest North Riverside sexual assault suspect

SWAT team called in; man turns self in hours later

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter

By Bob Uphues


A police SWAT team responded to the 2300 block of 8th Avenue in North Riverside on the morning of Aug. 6 after a woman reported that she'd been sexually assaulted at gunpoint by her boyfriend inside her home. 

According to a press release issued by North Riverside Police Department Police Chief Lane Niemann, the victim told police her boyfriend was still inside the home, possibly in the company of two other females. 

Police were unable to contact the alleged offender at the home or by phone, and police from several agencies, including the Emergency Services Team from the Northern Illinois Police Alarm System (NIPAS), cordoned off the house and searched the area for him. 

At about 11:20 a.m., the suspect parked his vehicle in front of the Riverside Police Department, walked into the lobby and told the dispatcher, "I hear you're looking for me," according to Riverside Police Chief Thomas Weitzel.

The dispatcher told the man to have a seat, and he did so until Riverside police arrived to take him into custody. Weitzel said officers arrested the man without incident and that North Riverside detectives arrived shortly afterwards to transport him to the North Riverside Police Department. 

Paramedics took the victim to the hospital for treatment. No one else was injured, according to police, who continue to investigate the case.

At this time, no charges have been filed and police have not identified the alleged offender.

Email: buphues@wjinc.com Twitter: @RBLandmark

Reader Comments

4 Comments - Add Your Comment

Note: This page requires you to login with Facebook to comment.

Comment Policy

Donna DeMuro  

Posted: August 8th, 2017 12:06 PM

I was just down the street when this all started happening outside of church. By the time I'd left church about an hour later, there were vehicles from a lot of other suburbs there. Schiller Park, Grayslake(?), Northfield, too many to remember. All I could think of was that the woman was being held hostage in her own home. They had 8th Ave. blocked at Cermak and I saw a Channel 7 remote truck with a camera set up. Didn't see a thing about this on their 10:00 newscast.

Paul Olson from Orland Park  

Posted: August 6th, 2017 7:24 PM

WOW, just a few blocks from my childhood home. Story sounds kind of bogus though

Kristine Neumann  

Posted: August 6th, 2017 3:17 PM

Why did he turn himself into the Riverside Police when it was the North Riverside Police that were looking for him?

Linda C Sedlak  

Posted: August 6th, 2017 3:16 PM

This story does not sound like what was happening being that we were there during the time when everything was happening. If the guy was no longer there, why were police there for almost 4 hrs blocking off streets and not letting people around area. If he wasn't there, why would stay for that long of time. Is this really what happened or just a cover story to preserve our quiet little town.

Facebook Connect

Quick Links

Sign-up to get the latest news updates for Riverside and Brookfield.

MultimediaContact us
Submit Letter To The Editor
Place a Classified Ad