A Chicago man, convicted in 2010 of kidnapping a North Riverside woman, is back in jail just five days after being paroled for allegedly contacting, almost immediately after being released, the woman he kidnapped.

According to police, 27-year-old Justin W. Kasper was released from the Dixon Correctional Center on Sept. 16 after serving a portion of a five-year sentence for kidnapping his ex-girlfriend on Nov. 13, 2009 in Berwyn and then leading police on a high-speed chase before crashing his car in Westchester.

The day before he was released from prison, police said, Kasper was given a copy of an order of protection prohibiting him from having any contact with his 40-year-old ex-girlfriend.

But on his way back to Chicago in a transport bus, police said, Kasper unsuccessfully tried to call the woman and was finally able to reach her at 3 a.m. on Sept. 17. He attempted to call her five more times that day, according to police.

North Riverside police on Sept. 21 located Kasper smoking a cigarette and sitting on the front porch of a house in the 5400 block of South Latrobe Avenue in Chicago, where they took him into custody without incident.

The Cook County State’s Attorney charged Kasper with a felony count of violating an order of protection. Kasper’s bond was set at $250,000, and he awaits an Oct. 3 court date at the Maybrook courthouse.

Just having a snort, officer

Riverside police say Eduardo Perez, 31, of Chicago was snorting heroin as police walked up to talk to him during a traffic stop on Harlem Avenue at 9:30 a.m. on Sept. 21.

Police received a call reporting a white Honda swerving on the roadway while heading southbound on Harlem from 26th Street and located the vehicle as it approached East Burlington Street. Police reported that Perez’s vehicle crossed the center line several times, swerving in and out of traffic. In addition, he reportedly had to slam on the brakes to avoid rear-ending several vehicles prior to being pulled over.

As an officer approached the car, police said, Perez could be seen snorting white powder from his hand and licking the area where the powder had been. A drug-sniffing dog reportedly detected drug residue, which tested positive for heroin, in the car.

Perez was charged with possession of a controlled substance and several traffic offenses. His bond was set at $75,000 and he was taken to Stroger Hospital for treatment.

Missing: 6-foot spider

A resident of the 3300 block of Park Avenue, Brookfield, reported to police that some time between 12:30 and 8 a.m. on Sept. 25 someone removed a 6-foot inflatable spider, described as black with orange on the legs, from the front yard.

N. Riverside homes burglarized

North Riverside police reported on Sept. 22 that a home in the 2200 block of Keystone Avenue was burglarized between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. on Sept. 16. The home’s owner noticed a broken basement window on Sept. 16 but did not notice anything else out of order that day. Later, the homeowner noticed that a jewelry box was missing from the top of a bedroom dresser and a bag of loose diamonds was also missing from a dresser drawer.

A resident of the 2300 block of 14th Avenue, North Riverside, reported on Sept. 24 that between 8:45 a.m. and 9:30 a.m. on that date, someone entered the home through an open door and removed an envelope containing cash and several pieces of jewelry from a bedroom dresser.

DUI crashes

A 56-year-old Brookfield woman was charged with driving under the influence and failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident after she allegedly drove her 2007 Ford Focus into a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee, which was parked in the 9200 block of Shields Avenue, Brookfield, just before noon on Sept. 25.

According to the police report, the impact of the collision forced the Jeep up onto the curb. The driver, later identified as Denise M. Niziolek, was not injured in the crash, said police. Her blood-alcohol level was reportedly .272, which is more than three times the legal limit of .08.

Brookfield police charged Charles Zynda, 62, of Brookfield, with DUI and other traffic offenses after he allegedly made a left turn from Maple Avenue onto 28th Street in front of a 1993 Acura driven by a Maywood woman, causing the Acura to collide with Zynda’s 2007 Chevy on Sept. 20 around 7:50 p.m.

The woman driving the Acura was transported to Loyola University Medical Center for treatment of undisclosed injuries. Witnesses saw Zynda allegedly drop a beer can outside the Chevy when he got out of the vehicle. Zynda refused to submit to a breath test.

These items were obtained from police reports filed by the Riverside, North Riverside and Brookfield police departments, Sept. 19-25, and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Unless otherwise indicated, anybody named in these reports has only been charged with a crime. These cases have not been adjudicated.

-Compiled by Bob Uphues