A Berwyn man arrested by Riverside police last June for driving under the influence – his fifth DUI arrest – was sentenced to seven years in prison by Cook County Judge Thomas Tucker on March 14 at the Maybrook courthouse.

Carlos Estrada, 43, pleaded guilty last week to two separate charges of DUI, one from Riverside and another from Berwyn, as well as to a felony charge of aggravated fleeing and eluding. Tucker handed down three year sentences for each DUI and an additional year for the fleeing charge. The sentences will run consecutively, according to Riverside Police Chief Thomas Weitzel.

On May 31, 2011 at about 9 p.m. Riverside police stopped Estradafs vehicle, which had an expired license plate registration, near the intersection of Harlem Avenue and Lawton Road.

When the officer got out to approach the vehicle, Estrada hit the gas and sped off. Police chased Estrada, who blew through eight stop signs while going more than 50 mph on Berwyn streets. Police called off the chase, fearing for the publicfs safety.

At 1 a.m. on June 1, police located Estradafs vehicle and followed it to his home in the 3600 block of South Wisconsin Avenue in Berwyn. Estrada got out of his car and police apprehended him after a short foot chase. He was later charged by Riverside police with DUI and aggravated fleeing and eluding.

At the time of his arrest he had another DUI pending against him in Berwyn and was driving on a revoked license. In fact, he was due in court at Maybrook on June 1 in connection with the Berwyn arrest.

Man attacks Brookfield cop

A Bellwood man arrested on March 18 in connection with a domestic battery incident in the 3500 block of Vernon Avenue, Brookfield, also faces two felony charges for allegedly attacking a Brookfield police officer in an interview room at the police station following his arrest.

Tristan L. Carter, 26, was charged with attempting to disarm a police officer and aggravated battery to a police officer in addition to domestic battery and resisting arrest.

According to the police report, officers responded to the Vernon Avenue address after a witness reported that a man was hitting a woman inside a car parked on the street.

When police arrived, they found Carter sitting in the vehicle with a woman who had a cut lip, a scratched neck and was bleeding at the mouth. While both the woman and Carter denied any battery occurred, police believed there was sufficient evidence to arrest Carter for domestic battery.

At the station, Carter was taken to an interview room. Once his handcuffs were taken off, police said, Carter attacked the officer, grabbing his bullet-proof vest and trying to pull his gun out of its holster.

Another police officer intervened and the two were able to subdue Carter after threatening to use a stun gun on him.

Carter was taken to the hospital for treatment of injuries he received during the scuffle with police and released back into police custody.

Man flashes Brookfield jogger

A 19-year-old Brookfield woman reported to police on March 18 that at about 8:30 p.m. she was jogging in the area of Oak and Southview avenues when a man exposed himself to her.

The woman said she first noticed the man near Southview and Maple. Then she noticed him again at Prairie Avenue and Southview, where he got off his black mountain bike and tried to get her attention. Around Oak Avenue and Southview, the man got off his bike and reportedly fully exposed his genitals to her.

Shooting up heroin at the donut shop

A 25-year-old Burr Ridge man was charged with possession of a controlled substance after North Riverside police were called to Dunkin Donuts, 8360 Cermak Road to investigate a man acting strangely inside the shop.

According to a witness, the man was asking random employees and patrons about their tattoos and was dancing in place. After a time, he went to an SUV in the parking lot and appeared to fall asleep.

Police said that the man had needle marks on his left and right forearms, and they observed a hypodermic needle, an aluminum can bottom and tissue in his shirt pocket. They later reported finding 15 small plastic baggies containing 2.4 grams of a white powdery substance later determined to be heroin.@

These items were obtained from police reports filed by the Riverside, North Riverside and Brookfield police departments, March 12-March 18, 2012, and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Unless otherwise indicated, anybody named in these reports has only been charged with a crime. These cases have not been adjudicated.

– Compiled by Bob Uphues