Naked man in North Riverside wanted to ‘cool off’

A North Riverside man who once was convicted of trading guns to Chicago street gang members for money to buy crack cocaine was arrested on March 8 and charged with three counts of disorderly conduct for allegedly walking around outside naked and screaming in the 2500 block of 6th Avenue.

According to the police report, 70-year-old Dennis Kalinoski appeared to be intoxicated when officers arrived at his home in the 8600 block of 26th Street at about 9:20 p.m. His 45-year-old girlfriend reportedly told police that the two had been drinking beer, whiskey and rum since about noon, and that a naked Kalinoski informed her that he was going outside to cool off.

Three residents of a house across the street told police they were sitting in the kitchen when they saw Kalinoski shouting loudly for no apparent reason while he walked southbound on the 6th Avenue sidewalk with no clothes on.

It wasn’t the first time they had seen Kalinoski naked outside his home, they told police. On three other occasions, they reported, they had seen him picking up his mail while naked.

In 2005, Kalinoski was sentenced to five and a half years in federal prison after being convicted of selling guns to gang members to feed a drug habit. During their investigation, federal agents recorded a meeting where Kalinoski had sold weapons to a gang member who was an FBI informant.

Days later, federal agents raided Kalinoski’s North Riverside home and found more than 400 guns. He was released from federal prison in 2008.

Teens ticketed for paintball incidents

Several teenage boys from Riverside, Brookfield and North Riverside were ticketed for disorderly conduct and vandalism for allegedly shooting paint balls and throwing eggs at houses and cars in Riverside, North Riverside and Lyons in recent weeks.

On March 3 about 11:55 p.m., North Riverside police stopped five teens inside a vehicle in the 2400 block of 5th Avenue. Inside the vehicle, police reported finding a plastic bag containing paintballs, a paintball gun, a pellet pistol and metal pellets.

The boys reportedly admitted targeting one vehicle in North Riverside with eggs and paintballs on multiple occasions. Four of the teens admitted to being involved in 11 paintball incidents in Riverside.

North Riverside charged all five boys, who were between the age of 16 and 17, with disorderly conduct. Three of those teens were also charged with vandalism. Riverside police charged four of the teens with disorderly conduct. Lyons also cited the teens.

Car stolen twice in a day

A Riverside man called police on March 7 about 8:30 a.m. to report that his car, a beige 1998 Toyota Camry, had been stolen as it warmed up in the driveway of his friend’s home in the 100 block of East Burlington Street.

At 9:17 a.m., police received a call from a resident in the 200 block of East Burlington Street. The caller stated that an unknown beige Toyota was located behind the house. It turned out to be the stolen vehicle and was turned over to its owner.

At 9:30 p.m. police received another call from the owner of the Toyota, who stated he parked his car in front of a friend’s house on North Cowley Road at 3:30 p.m. When he came back outside, the car was gone.

On March 8, the car reportedly was located by Chicago police on the city’s West Side. It reportedly had been involved in a hit-and-run accident and had sustained heavy front-end damage.

11-year-old left alone

Brookfield police charged a 31-year-old Brookfield woman with endangering the life of a child, a misdemeanor, after she allegedly left her 11-year-old daughter home alone while she partied at a nightclub in Summit in the wee hours of the morning of March 7.

The girl called her father, a Cicero resident, sometime after 3 a.m., saying she woke up and found she was alone in the house. The girl’s father called police at 3:43 a.m. and picked up his daughter around 4 a.m.

Police at 4:45 a.m. called the girl’s mother, who reportedly said she was at home with her daughter. When police pressed her, she hung up the phone.

At 5 a.m., police greeted the girl’s mother, who was wearing a short black dress, knee-high boots and lace top, as she exited a friend’s vehicle outside her residence. The woman reportedly told police she had planned on being gone for just a half hour but “lost track of time.”

These items were obtained from police reports filed by the Riverside, North Riverside and Brookfield police departments, March 3-10, and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Unless otherwise indicated, anybody named in these reports has only been charged with a crime. These cases have not been adjudicated.