Photo courtesy Riverside Police Department

Riverside police say that a 33-year-old Berwyn man who caused a three-car pileup in the 2900 block of Harlem Avenue on Nov. 25 has been charged with driving on a suspended license and was given two traffic tickets.

Three people sustained what police called non-life threatening injuries in the crash, which was apparently caused when a 2000 Kia pulled out of the Mobil gas station at 2945 S. Harlem Ave. onto northbound Harlem Avenue at about 7:30 a.m.

As the Kia pulled out, it caused a 29-year-old Bolingbrook woman to lose control of her northbound 2004 Chevy Trailblazer. The Trailblazer swerved into the southbound lanes of traffic and collided with a 2007 Saturn driven by a 25-year-old Chicago woman.

A southbound 1991 Mercury driven by a 23-year-old Oak Park man then struck the Trailblazer, causing the SUV to roll over and land on its side. A 2008 Ford Escape driven by a 34-year-old Berwyn man, also headed southbound, drove through the scene as cars collided. His car came away untouched, police said.

The driver of the Saturn suffered cuts to her hands and wrists, and complained of a sore wrist. She was taken to MacNeal Hospital in Berwyn for treatment.

Meanwhile, the driver of the Trailblazer needed to be extricated from the vehicle by firefighters. Her 8-year-old son was able to exit the vehicle before emergency personnel arrived. He did not suffer any serious injuries, police reported.

Both were transported to Loyola University Medical Center in Maywood for treatment. 

Police say the Kia that triggered the chain-reaction crash never struck any other vehicles. The driver of the Kia, however, saw what happened and left his female passenger at the scene to deal with police. The Berwyn man then went back to his residence on 29th Street in Berwyn to take his girlfriend’s children to school. He returned to the scene of the crash about 30 minutes later, said Riverside Police Chief Thomas Weitzel.

Harlem Avenue was closed in both directions between Longcommon Road and Addison Road traffic until about 9 a.m.

In addition to being charged with driving on a suspended license, the driver of the Kia was cited for failure to yield while merging and operating an uninsured vehicle.