A 20-year-old Brookfield man was charged with leaving the scene of an accident and driving without a valid license after he allegedly drove his 2014 Nissan Sentra into a 2000 Toyota Camry that was parked in the 4300 block of Prairie Avenue during the early morning hours of April 6.

A Brookfield police officer on patrol noticed the Toyota, which sustained heavy rear-end damage, and contacted its owner, who said he was in his house asleep at the time and didn’t know the crash had occurred.

An officer found a silver radiator grille and a Nissan emblem on the street and followed a trail of radiator fluid to the garage of a residence in the 4200 block of Prairie Avenue. Police requested the homeowner open the garage to determine if the vehicle involved in the crash was inside. However, the homeowner refused and told the officer to get a search warrant.

Officers on the day shift were told about the incident and were instructed to keep a special watch on the garage to see if the overhead door was ever opened and revealed the vehicle or if anyone tried to transport the vehicle somewhere to be repaired.

About 3:30 p.m. on April 6 an officer observed the overhead door open and a Nissan with front-end damage inside. The officer reportedly contacted the owner who allegedly told the officer that his car had been “rammed.”

Police then reportedly matched the parts found at the scene to the vehicle in the garage and proceeded to arrest the 20-year-old man.

Energy drinks stolen

An employee at the Minuteman convenience store at 3346 Harlem Ave. in Riverside called police on April 9 about 6:30 p.m. after a male subject wearing a red jacket allegedly stole six 4-packs and one 12-pack of Red Bull energy drink and fled the scene in a small blue Chevy sedan that was waiting for him in the parking lot.

According to the police report, the vehicle pulled up to the door of the store and the passenger got out, walked in and asked if the store accepted LINK cards. When informed the store did not, the subject yelled to the driver of the vehicle that LINK wasn’t accepted.

The subject then walked to the drink coolers, took out the cans of energy drink and placed them on a newspaper rack and then told the employee he needed another 24-can pack for a party.

When she turned her back to get the drinks, the subject exited the store and got into the waiting vehicle, which fled northbound on Harlem Avenue. The total loss was estimated at about $95.

Vehicle break-ins

Two burglaries to vehicles reportedly occurred in the parking lot of the North Riverside Park Mall, 7501 Cermak Road, on April 8.

  • A 39-year-old Chicago man called police at 5:55 p.m. to report that two cordless Dewalt drills, a battery pack, a pair of jumper cables and $5 in change had been stolen from his 2003 Chevy Malibu, which was parked in the east lot of the mall.

The man said he parked the car at about 2 p.m. and told police he locked the doors, although police reported there was no sign of forced entry.

  • At 8:40 p.m., a 19-year-old Bellwood woman contacted police to report that someone stole several items from her 2003 Chevy Malibu, which was parked in the lower-level parking deck of the mall.

The woman said she parked her car at 3:30 p.m. before entering the mall to go to her job there. She said that she heard her car doors lock as she left. However, when she returned after work, she noticed that a gray backpack that she left on the front passenger seat was gone.

The backpack reportedly contained an HP laptop computer, a Texas Instruments TI-84 calculator, and iClicker device, prescription pills, house keys, two iPhone chargers and school papers.

Packages stolen

  • A resident of Forest Avenue, Riverside, contacted police on April 5 to report that a Samsung Galaxy cellphone delivered to her residence on March 9 had been stolen.

UPS confirmed delivery to the victim’s apartment building on that date, but the woman never received the package.

  • A resident of the 100 block of Northgate Avenue, Riverside, contacted police on April 6 to report that a UPS package delivered to his residence on March 17 had been stolen from his front porch.

The delivery company confirmed that the package, which contained Comcast cable TV equipment, was delivered on that date.

Hot coals cause fire

Riverside firefighters were called to a residence in the 300 block of Gatesby Road on April 7 about 6:45 a.m. after someone reported a shed and fence possibly on fire.

Emergency personnel responded to the scene and located a subject with a garden hose in the rear yard of the home putting out a fire inside a plastic garbage can. The subject told firefighters he had dumped ashes from a fire pit into the garbage can the night before. A neighbor woke him up to let him know the garbage can was on fire.

According to police, the fire chief advised the subject of safer ways to dispose of ashes.

  • Brookfield firefighters were called to a house in the 4600 block of Madison Avenue on April 9 at about 11:50 p.m. after a resident called to report a fire in the clothes dryer in the basement.

The resident told firefighters that he heard a loud thump from the dryer and when he went to check, her saw it was on fire. Another resident of the home tried to put the fire out with a fire extinguisher, but was unable to.

Firefighters said a large amount of smoke was seen coming from a basement door when they arrived. The put out the fire and placed fans in the house to clear it of smoke. The house escaped serious damage.

The fire was caused by lint build-up, according to a police incident report.

Bike stolen from library

A 10-year-old Lyons boy went to police on April 7 about 6 p.m. to report that someone had stolen his blue Giant mountain bike, which he left leaning unlocked against a handrail outside the Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road.

The boy went into the library after school, according to police, and when he came back outside, the bike was missing.

These items were obtained from police reports filed by the Riverside, North Riverside and Brookfield police departments, April 4-10, and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Unless otherwise indicated, anybody named in these reports has only been charged with a crime. These cases have not been adjudicated.